CUSA Dumpster Fire

1 hour ago, greeneagle1 said:

My whole thing is that Frisco and the Star is more of a destination than Huntsville, AL. 

Huntsville is actually a pretty cool little town... and I would recommend it over Frisco... not Dallas, but definitely Frisco. 

It's home to a major NASA hub and has some awesome state parks in the area.

It's not that dissimilar to a Hot Springs-type destination... 

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

1.  The Star was a dumpster fire of an arena for basketball and looked small-time on television.

2.  As noted above, Huntsville, AL is a neat little town.

3.  Why do we care?

You're right. Looking forward to pulling up to Dickies Arena next March. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

So now they can hold their championships in one building/on one court?

If we had to drive to Frisco, I would have preferred the game being played in an actual basketball venue in the Comerica Center. I figured the only reason to continue the unconventional set-up at The Star was to have two courts.

We'll be at dickeys arena next year in FT worth 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Greenrex said:

C-USA is making their best effort to stay relavent and viable. I wish them nothing but success.

Wish they would partner with the sunbelt to even it out a bit and maybe each take a region instead of being so spread out between the two….

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

They'll be fine in basketball. I don't think we'll see a year like this one for a while, but there are enough teams with relatively strong basketball histories to make for a competitive league. You've got WKU, MT, UTEP, and LA Tech that are usually decent-to-good. You add NMSU, who fits a similar profile to those I just mentioned. You've got Liberty with all the Jesus money. You add Sam Houston, who has been pretty strong of late. Still better than the Sun Belt in bball.

• Upvote 5

“Judy MacLeod is one of the best commissioners is all the NCAA”

Ok, maybe not a direct quote, but the guy broadcasting our NIT games with Frascella said something very similar…on more than one occasion.🤔

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

This is what a giant Convention-Center style arena would look like in Denton too....minus 6,000 fans...

It's great for truck shows and rodeos, but not basketball games....

The Von Braun Center Has Spaces for Every Event

Reminds me of the Sun Belt BBall tournament when they held it in Hot Springs, AR.

• Upvote 2

On 4/6/2023 at 11:05 AM, Greenrex said:

C-USA is making their best effort to stay relavent and viable. I wish them nothing but success.

Hard to understand why some people seem to be hoping they fail. When people have a moment, go back and look at what was being said and written when UNT and others left the Sun Belt. Most were counting the days until the Sun Belt went under. Not saying they will improve, as only time will tell.

• Upvote 4

It's not exactly a small town.  Huntsville is home to about 220,000  people.  The metro area is about three times that population.  Rocket City is home to the U S Space Center.  I believe that North Alabama University is there.  Maybe Judy is trying to get them to join CUSA.  She could do (and has done) worse.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 4/6/2023 at 12:31 PM, greeneagle1 said:

My whole thing is that Frisco and the Star is more of a destination than Huntsville, AL. 

Meh, there is nothing about either that’s a destination but Huntsville has some cool surrounding cities that are not a long drive. The nature is beautiful around there as well.  It’s not a ringing endorsement but if I had to make a vacation out of it I would choose Huntsville.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

It's not exactly a small town.  Huntsville is home to about 220,000  people.  The metro area is about three times that population.  Rocket City is home to the U S Space Center.  I believe that North Alabama University is there.  Maybe Judy is trying to get them to join CUSA.  She could do (and has done) worse.

UNA is in Florence. Huntsville has Alabama-Huntsville which has a hockey team. Huntsville has a decent little downtown area. With the little mountain nearby, it's an alright destination. Chattanooga's better.

• Upvote 3