no plans, but potential interest

ADLER

52 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

We gave try to this and it never worked out.  The small motels (and believe me there are many of them in Denton) cried when they were considering a convention center and luxury hotel on the old golf course.  There are too many greedy small motel owners in Denton to overcome I’m afraid.

Haha surely this is satire.   The small motel lobby wielding such power against the convention hotel industry and the City.   

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The cool thing about this potential "partnership" is that UNT already has an arena like this planned.  We have the space for it, and it's in a more prominent placement, closer to the heart of the city, than up at Rayzor Ranch.

So if the City of Denton would like to have a basketball arena double as a space for rodeos, large convention gatherings, concerts, etc...  They can jump in on our existing plans and make it work.

They can jump in on our existing plans and make it work....

smackdown live sport GIF by WWE

(I agree 💯!)

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

We have been worried about student turnout with just moving across the street. Going completely off campus seems like a big red flag. Plus again you have to share the space and don't have complete control of the facility. 

And not only that but how will this arena be built. You can't build all purpose arena and expect to succeed. Alamodome is a perfect example. Not only did the Spurs not want to play there but it was questionable when San Antonio was pushing it to attract a NFL team there back in the 1996.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, rcade said:

Relying on a city-owned facility to host our basketball teams sounds more like a Trojan horse than a gift horse. I don't know when I've ever believed Denton had the best interests of UNT at heart.

I don't trust the City of Denton.  They just want UNT's money to help build "their" convention-center style arena and Denton will control scheduling for it.   NO!

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

17 hours ago, ADLER said:

Just out of curiosity: Would verybody feel the same way if the City of Denton was interested in building North Texas a first class baseball park in the "downtown area" around the square and all it's restaurants?

The city may be finally showing interest in getting involved and supporting the university. 

From fan perspectives, what would be the ideal support you would desire?

The thing is that this Mayor might care but the next one might not.  We don't need the city to care, we need the citizens to care.  If the constituents care the city will have to care.  What Tylor was doing with visiting the schools plus our success on the court helps more than a mayor putting his interests in us.  We want the people who live here to buy in. Maybe more community out reach and success on the court/field is the only way.  Obviously, the city council and mayor's support helps but it won't fill up the arena.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

I don't trust the City of Denton.  They just want UNT's money to help build "their" convention-center style arena and Denton will control scheduling for it.   NO!

I think the OP was simply stating that it would be better to have something built sooner than later even if it required a partnership of sorts to make it happen.  Think how successful UTSA has been with their Alamodome partnership.  If they didn't have that they would be playing in a high school stadium.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

I think the OP was simply stating that it would be better to have something built sooner than later even if it required a partnership of sorts to make it happen.  Think how successful UTSA has been with their Alamodome partnership.  If they didn't have that they would be playing in a high school stadium.

But you have to remember San Antonio has a different culture than the Metroplex and even Houston. There still a loyality in the population and a city of close to two million really does not have any other competitive around it. It is not like the metroplex that is competing with well established schools such as SMU and TCU that we at NT are competiting against.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

You know the kind of "gift horse" your wife gives you when you wanted a new UNT Mean Green polo, but instead you got a pastel-green colored polo?  ...And it just so happens we have Easter coming up and she wants you to wear that polo in the family pictures this weekend?  This "gift horse" is kinda like that.   

Who is the "gift" really for?

• Upvote 3

I think this ship has sailed. In the initial talk with the convention center and hotel going back on the old Radisson site, this idea had potential. their was talk of a Houlihan's with the hotel which would have been a great draw on game days. Can you imagine an outdoor patio for food and drinks pre game. add in the tailgate scene, add in the pavilion. Now we are talking about some game day attractions adding up for a good experience for all types of alumni. And the hotel that group built down the road is nice, best in Denton. And the visiting teams stay there. Also the parents of players. I used to see Mason there on Sunday morning for breakfast with his entourage. But somehow the school let that one slip away, Now I do not see it happening, I do not like anything off campus. That center and hotel would have brough great visibility for the university. Like so many things pertaining to athletics we have dropped the ball so much it is hard to recover in this day and age. Just my two cents...

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Kingwood Green said:

I think this ship has sailed. In the initial talk with the convention center and hotel going back on the old Radisson site, this idea had potential. their was talk of a Houlihan's with the hotel which would have been a great draw on game days. Can you imagine an outdoor patio for food and drinks pre game. add in the tailgate scene, add in the pavilion. Now we are talking about some game day attractions adding up for a good experience for all types of alumni. And the hotel that group built down the road is nice, best in Denton. And the visiting teams stay there. Also the parents of players. I used to see Mason there on Sunday morning for breakfast with his entourage. But somehow the school let that one slip away, Now I do not see it happening, I do not like anything off campus. That center and hotel would have brough great visibility for the university. Like so many things pertaining to athletics we have dropped the ball so much it is hard to recover in this day and age. Just my two cents...

I’m confused what your position is.  We let it slip but you don’t like the idea of being off campus?

• Upvote 2

I’m sure the city of Denton is feeling the pressure from Fort Worth and Frisco. The new Dickies Arena in Fort Worth is doing well with big-name concerts, annual FW stock show, PBR finals, and the AAC basketball tournament. I guess late is better than never…

Then there’s the city of Frisco, exploding in population and business with land-values at sky high prices. Free of charge, Frisco donated 100 acres of land for UNT’s new Frisco campus. Now that shows a commitment to a long-term partnership.

Imagine if Frisco wants to take the partnership a step further and donates additional land and offers to help fund a new state-of-the-art arena close by Toyota Stadium, UNT Frisco, and the new PGA Headquarters. I could see a mutually beneficial arrangement being made to justify the city expense, similar to how Frisco HS football teams play in The Star.

Oh look, they’re finally expanding Hwy 380 which will shorten the Denton to Frisco drive time significantly.

Psssst. Hey Denton, Frisco is new personal trainer she told you not to worry about. 

Edited by C Rod
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, C Rod said:

I’m sure the city of Denton is feeling the pressure from Fort Worth and Frisco. The new Dickey’s Arena in Fort Worth is doing well with big-name concerts, annual FW stock show, PBR finals, and the AAC basketball tournament. I guess late is better than never…

Then there’s the city of Frisco, exploding in population and business with land-values at sky high prices. Free of charge, Frisco donated 100 acres of land for UNT’s new Frisco campus. Now that shows a commitment to a long-term partnership.

Imagine if Frisco wants to take the partnership a step further and donates additional land and offers to help fund a new state-of-the-art arena close by Toyota Stadium, UNT Frisco, and the new PGA Headquarters. I could see a mutually beneficial arrangement being made to justify the city expense, similar to how Frisco HS football teams play in The Star.

Oh look, they’re finally expanding Hwy 380 which will shorten the Denton to Frisco drive time significantly.

Psssst. Hey Denton, Frisco is new personal trainer she told you not to worry about. 

Man I totally agree, and I sometimes wonder who is running Denton?  Is there anyone at the helm? Seems like they let all the surrounding cities outflank them when it comes to planning and building infrastructure.  I think a lot of it is the small businesses are so entrenched in keeping things as is that there is never enough momentum to overcome it.  The city really needs some new leadership or it will become a gas stop on the way to Oklahoma.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 5:26 PM, ADLER said:

Just out of curiosity: Would verybody feel the same way if the City of Denton was interested in building North Texas a first class baseball park in the "downtown area" around the square and all it's restaurants?

The city may be finally showing interest in getting involved and supporting the university. 

From fan perspectives, what would be the ideal support you would desire?

I’d be all for the city building us a baseball facility for two reasons. One, we don’t already have one, and two, baseball fields aren’t used for much besides baseball so you would almost never face a scheduling conflict.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I’d ask the city to expand Bonnie Brae past the stadium before I’d even pick up the phone. That’s the root of most of our football traffic and parking issues. If they can’t get that done, I’m not even having a conversation about anything.

That road is an embarrassment to all those great athletic facilities.   Denton roads scream "small-time" and behind times.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, C Rod said:

Adding a lane for 6 miles won't help much.  The increasing volume of traffic is overwhelming the infrastructure.  It will continue to increase with all the new building going on along it.   It's not designed to be a full speed highway and with all those stop lights everything becomes gridlock.  The retail fronting both sides and endless new housing is just making 380 more dangerous.  It's more like an east-west Preston Road on steroids.  

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

Adding a lane for 6 miles won't help much.  The increasing volume of traffic is overwhelming the infrastructure.  It will continue to increase with all the new building going on along it.   It's not designed to be a full speed highway and with all those stop lights everything becomes gridlock.  The retail fronting both sides and endless new housing is just making 380 more dangerous.  It's more like an east-west Preston Road on steroids.  

Hwy 380 will be turning into 6-8 lane freeway and they are also building the outer loop to accommodate the growth. Just like Hwy 121 expanded from Lewisville to Frisco, Hwy 380 will do the same from Denton to Frisco. 

https://www.nctcog.org/getmedia/334fb241-81ef-4343-8489-3b7a41beba84/february2023progressreport.pdf?ext=.pdf

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, C Rod said:

Hwy 380 will be turning into 6-8 lane freeway and they are also building the outer loop to accommodate the growth. Just like Hwy 121 expanded from Lewisville to Frisco, Hwy 380 will do the same from Denton to Frisco. 

https://www.nctcog.org/getmedia/334fb241-81ef-4343-8489-3b7a41beba84/february2023progressreport.pdf?ext=.pdf

The loop in Collin County, as depicted, is to just bypass downtown McKinney.  It also means tearing down over 130 businesses and homes under the current plan.  The freeway, if it ever happens in Denton County, will need more land width to allow for one.   The new construction is just to widen the road a lane each direction and install a center median, but still have stoplights, no freeway.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1