no plans, but potential interest

ADLER

4 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Mayor Hudspeth told me there is interest in the City of Denton building a large arena attached to the Embassy Suites and Denton Convention Center. The city needs the space to be able to host larger conventions, concerts, circus, rodeos, graduations, TWU Gymnastics championships, and other events, and an arena of that size would not be possible without having the North Texas Mean Green as it's primary tennant.

Gosh, that would be terrific.  Hope Jared and Prez Smatty are all over this.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The cool thing about this potential "partnership" is that UNT already has an arena like this planned.  We have the space for it, and it's in a more prominent placement, closer to the heart of the city, than up at Rayzor Ranch.

So if the City of Denton would like to have a basketball arena double as a space for rodeos, large convention gatherings, concerts, etc...  They can jump in on our existing plans and make it work.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The cool thing about this potential "partnership" is that UNT already has an arena like this planned.  We have the space for it, and it's in a more prominent placement, closer to the heart of the city, than up at Rayzor Ranch.

So if the City of Denton would like to have a basketball arena double as a space for rodeos, large convention gatherings, concerts, etc...  They can jump in on our existing plans and make it work.

I think you missed the part the Mayor wants the new arena by the hotel and convention center… Not at UNT. 

• Upvote 3

• ADLER changed the title to North Texas fans look potential gift horse in the mouth
2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I think you missed the part the Mayor wants the new arena by the hotel and convention center… Not at UNT. 

No sir, I didn't miss that.
But I don't believe having a basketball arena that far off campus is a good idea for UNT.   

So, Denton can build that arena totally on their own dime, and compete with UNT's new arena (because it's going to happen), or they can partner with UNT to create one that not only serves UNT, but also the Denton Community.    Look at Albuquerque's partnership with UNM's Pit.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

ADLER's hypothetical is thought provoking.

It would be interesting to gauge citizen interest to see if they would be any more likely to attend a game at a city-owned arena than they would be an on-campus venue. I suspect it wouldn't make much difference, but I may be wrong.

That said, a city partnership interests me because it hasn't been much of a athletics partner, IMO, over the first 133 or so years. 

We currently have a mayor that is NT athletics friendly. We should welcome that and sort out options that may be good for both parties.

GMG

• Upvote 7

I'm not saying we should just say yes, but to reject the city out of hand doesn't make any sense. I'm sure the NT administration will not do anything that foolish. 

And just a glance at the Denton Convention and Visitor's Bureau website shows there are two to three events/meetings/conventions a WEEK in Denton. A facility will increase that exponentially based on what's happened in Frisco. 

https://www.discoverdenton.com/?UTM_source=GMB_listing&UTM_medium=organic

• Upvote 2

To consider this I’d first want to know of a well established plan to get students there easily.  A quality shuttle program from campus to the arena and back constantly running before/during/after the game.  Also to know that we have lots of branding leverage.  I don’t love the idea much and would rather build on campus or MGV.  I’m sure there are other initiatives out there to cultivate a better relationship to the city with. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, dml7007 said:

Build it on campus! and attach a hotel to it or closer too it.  Then teams coming into town for games (all sports) can use.  Should get back to what the Raddison was back in the late 1980's - 90.  The hotel was staffed in part by the school for hotel restaurant management.  

We gave try to this and it never worked out.  The small motels (and believe me there are many of them in Denton) cried when they were considering a convention center and luxury hotel on the old golf course.  There are too many greedy small motel owners in Denton to overcome I’m afraid.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1