some of you...

39 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Since you’re dolling out advice, I’d advise you to use proper capitalization in your written communication. The lack of capitalization undercuts your argument and is embarrassing. Feels like we’re reading text messages from a 13 year old. Please stop. 

Where are you when Andrew chimes in? This ain’t nothin’

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Since you’re dolling out advice, I’d advise you to use proper capitalization in your written communication. The lack of capitalization undercuts your argument and is embarrassing. Feels like we’re reading text messages from a 13 year old. Please stop. 

it was actually a conscious aesthetic decision I made in my writing probably about ten years ago. I like the look of it and know that the content doesn't read anything like a text message from a 13 year old. maybe it's not for you...and maybe I don't care. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

are not handling being a legitimate and modern college athletic program well. it's embarrassing. please stop. 

it's been a minute since I've been in the Pit regrettably, so I don't know the exact count...but GM is responsible for what, 2/3rds? 3/4ths? of the banners hanging in the rafters. he took a program from ashes and in six years gave all of you the greatest win in UNT athletics history. he also left in place a transition and continuity plan...something we've never had. 

four Texas schools have ever won an NIT title...Texas (twice), Baylor, TCU and North Texas. not A&M, not Houston, not Tech, not SMU...so you know have water-cooler bragging rights on your co-workers schools for which so many of you carry such inferiority complexes. 

I know most of you aren't used to losing a coach to a better job. we fire our coaches for 40% winning percentages over five seasons. and it is a better job...the windows to move up in the college coaching world are small and short and there is a hierarchy in college athletics and it might behove many of you to learn where UNT sits...until UNT can match a Big12 salary, a Big12 national reputation and the tournament bids that comes with, and more than 3500 people a game for the best basketball in school history we're also probably going to lose Ross Hodge to A&M once he leads us to an Elite 8 in 3 years. 

as for TP...his eligibility is up. in normal times he'd leave Denton, go work out for a few NBA teams, maybe get a G-League invite and in two years occasionally one of you would look up what he's averaging for the Bristol Rovers or that he made all LaLiga for Real Sociedad in Spain. now he'll just have a year at San Diego State on his resume as well and it will do nothing to diminish or tarnish what he did and what he meant here. 

how douchebaged are y'all's lives that you can't just enjoy, again, the greatest moment in our school's athletic history? it's embarrassing. please stop.

four Texas schools have ever won an NIT title...Texas (twice), Baylor, TCU and North Texas. not A&M, not Houston, not Tech, not SMU...so you know have water-cooler bragging rights on your co-workers schools for which so many of you carry such inferiority complexes. 

Please do NOT brag about winning the NIT. Fans of the schools mentioned will laugh at you. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 10
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, meangreenacct said:

Honestly I have had way more people at work and in personal life bring up the NIT championship than did the round 1 win over Purdue. People noticed - especially when they saw the 31-7 record attached to the win.

Yes, the NIT is still a Big Deal.  I think ESPN watered it down this year with their presentation of the Final and the move to Vegas from NYC.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Please do NOT brag about winning the NIT. Fans of the schools mentioned will laugh at you. 

are you effing kidding me? this is where we're at now? 

I think I liked it better when we sucked at everything. this group was somehow more tolerable. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

are you effing kidding me? this is where we're at now? 

I think I liked it better when we sucked at everything. this group was somehow more tolerable. 

The programs you listed will fire their coaches for playing in the NIT too much. It's not a tournament legit programs want to play in. It's a great feather in our cap, but some here are over playing its significance. 

It's good to know whether we're good or bad, you'll still be on your high horse judging everyone. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It would be a little easier to understand if you guys would take off the green-tinted glasses & put yourselves in these guys' (TP/Mac) shoes. 
There's a 0.000000% chance any of you guys would do something different (like stay at UNT) if the opportunities those guys had/have ahead of them were also in front of you.   
You can claim you would, and beat your green-dyed chest hair, bragging on your UNT4L loyalty, but objective people would know you're full of ish.
Just look up in the Super Pit rafters when you want to reminisce about these guys.  It's perfectly OK to do so, because those banners are/will be hanging in the Super Pit, and not somewhere else.

Yes, this is exactly the point.  I think there are two different perceptions when one of our star players (backups seeking playing time is a different situation) enters the portal seeking "greener pastures."  Some of you are looking at is as disloyalty because you perceive that it's someone who just wants to play at a "bigger" program--one that wouldn't give him the time of day in the past, prior to "using" NT as a stepping stone.  But, that perception is outdated.  In reality, if we have a highly successful season, all of our starters and certainly the CUSA/NIT MVP have the opportunity to make WAY more NIL money by leaving.  If any of you had an unpaid intern at your office, and your company, which gave him a start and has been good to him, offered one additional year as an unpaid intern, but he had an offer to make a 6-figure salary as an intern for a different, equally reputable company for that same year, would you consider him disloyal--or simply logical?  

It'll hurt to see Tylor Perry in another college's uniform, but I can't blame him, and hell, he's done more for our basketball program than practically anyone who has worn our uniform, so let's not forget that.  My problem is with our NIL collective, as it does not seem to be even remotely competitive with our peers.  We aren't going to hang onto every player, but we should be able to identify a couple stars in both football and basketball each season whom we target for retention, and I do not get the impression that this is happening at all.  As soon as a player accrues any market value above 0, we seem to throw our hands up in the air and conclude, "welp, he's going to move on to bigger and better things!"  

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I recall reading Baylorfans in 2013 and they were pretty thrilled when they won the NIT.  I mean they probably wouldn't be NOW, but it was then.  Not sure I read any Horn boards or killerfrogs after they won, but I often drop in on a lot of school's boards during March Madness to get a read on things.   Schools that have had A LOT of success in the NCAAs don't generally get too excited by the NIT, but outside of the top programs, most seem to.  I specifically remember Dayton went nuts when they won it.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Our basketball program is ascending and we HAVE TO DO ALL that we can to maintain it.  Winning the NIT is an accomplishment, but not the absolute goal. We should be able to capitalize on that championship.  If you look at the NIT teams that have won championships they tend to do fairly well in the future. IMO it will also help get us over the hump on selections to the NCAA’s. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

Honestly I have had way more people at work and in personal life bring up the NIT championship than did the round 1 win over Purdue. People noticed - especially when they saw the 31-7 record attached to the win.

I had my Mean Green shirt on today walking into a medical building for an appointment and, upon entering the lobby, an older couple was coming out and the gentleman said "Mean Green, ya'll sure had a good basketball team this year."  Second time this week someone has commented on Mean Green basketball...people have noticed!

• Upvote 6

On 4/4/2023 at 11:33 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

What a toxic thread lol, but @Censored by Laurie I agree. Like I’ve said in the past, he’s given UNT more than about anyone in only 2 years. We shouldn’t be that mad he’s moving on, it’s how CBB is.

Its ok to be mad that a great coach leaves your program. Same with great players. It's also ok to be happy about winning the nit and enjoying that fun moment. We don't all have to be on the same page with everythig. As long as you don't cross a line with disrespect then who cares if someone is salty we lost a good coach. Things can be understandable and still frustrate you. My frustration doesn't lie with Grant or Tylor but more so on our students, alumni, and community who don't do a great job of supporting the athletic programs. It has come a long way in the last 20 years but the more fans that get frustrated when good people leave us for "better" programs isn't a bad thing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Quoner said:

Seems like many of our fan grievances stem from the fact that a vocal few of you are unlikeable people/coworkers and your acquaintances/colleagues enjoy douchebaging with you about college sports. 

But my mom says I'm a handsome boy and not to listen to them.

• Haha 3