Breaking: Tylor Perry enters transfer portal

16 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Tylor is going to be able to change his family’s life in one year of college basketball. He poured his heart and soul into the university for 2 years. 2023 season is a business transaction. 

Looking at this list I really don’t blame him. Once we can really sustain ourselves as a P6 powerhouse I’m sure we’ll have more people stick around.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Tylor is going to be able to change his family’s life in one year of college basketball. He poured his heart and soul into the university for 2 years. 2023 season is a business transaction. 

I would not be surprised to see him in a Hogs uniform next season.  At all.    Coach Musselman is an excellent Head Coach, and his teams are always very formidable.   Their guards are all very young (and very good), so I think TP would provide them some leadership that they're lacking currently.
Expect OKSt to push hard and offer a ton of NIL$ though.

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1

3 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Who did you want as HC?

Great question! Actually, I don’t have a name and support Hodge 100% now that he is the coach. What I preferred was to open the process up to all qualified applicants around the country. If after completing your due diligence and Ross Hodge came out on top, then he’s your guy. 

By hiring a guy due to convenience, we may have missed on someone better than what we had. I just hate good ole boy hires in all walks of life. The profile of the school was at its all time highest. I think we just owed it to all involved to be able to say that after an extensive search, Ross Hodge topped the list. Whereas, he will forever be the coach that internally deserved the promotion. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Hodge was the right answer. He was the master mind of the defense that has put north Texas basketball on the map. Head coaching experience. Also per sources not at north Texas. From an actually college coach that has coached in multiple p5 conferences as well as cusa while hodge was there. Told me hodge would be a bigger loss than GMac for North Texas. Said very few peoples truly understand how much he actually coached the team. In Hodge we trust 

I second this.  Heard from guys who coached on staffs with them both.  Not saying Mac isn't great, but Hodge has a "special" tag on him.  Time will tell how well it translates to HC in D1, but my expectations are high.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Well shit... It's gonna be a long season next year. I have no doubt Ross Hodge is an incredible coach and defensive mastermind, but I don't know much about him as a recruiter...

This one hurts a lot... Think we'll take a step back

At CSU he was in charge of recruiting. 

• Upvote 1

PT and championships are still big, but I have to think that when it comes to transfer reasoning, NIL deals are climbing up very high on the priority list.

A player like TP, I can totally see one content with his bball accomplishments and simply looking for a solid NIL deal to get a jumpstart on his post-playing career.  Or, if his family situation dictates a need for some cushion.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

A player like TP, I can totally see one content with his bball accomplishments and simply looking for a solid NIL deal to get a jumpstart on his post-playing career.  Or, if his family situation dictates a need for some cushion.

I think it’s a little Column A, a little Column B. Tylor is going to get paid AND be a key contributor to a big program next year. This isn’t a Drez situation.

• Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

He better not go to California if he wants to win.  The Golden Bears are awful and will be in a rebuild.

Honestly, he should go wherever he gets the best deal. Could make 5x in college what he might make with his first overseas pro contract. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

On the contrary, we don't owe him anything. Like he clearly doesn't owe us anything. 

I support the green and white. No player or coach. GMG

See, I miss those days when you COULD support a player. NIT/Portal has put every NCAA team in a pay-to-win model. It's hard to care about the "student employees" on the field/court now when they can just move on practically whenever they want. Makes it hard to care about any of the teams and competition now.

That said, some players also deserve that opportunity too. TP has a massively high ceiling, and he can do so much more.

Edited by Udomann
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Totally agree...at some point you have to look at the future and make tough decisions accordingly.  I don't think anyone could say he didn't "pour his heart and soul into UNT" but now he has to evaluate his situation with a look to the future which offers opportunities that won't be available to him later

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

See, I miss those days when you COULD support a player. NIT/Portal has put every NCAA team in a pay-to-win model. It's hard to care about the "student employees" on the field/court now when they can just move on practically whenever they want. Makes it hard to care about any of the teams and competition now.

That said, some players also deserve that opportunity too. TP has a massively high ceiling, and he can do so much more.

I miss those days. 

As for TP, and this isn't a knock on him but just reality, he will be facing more athletic, taller and more lengthier guards on a night to night basis. He can't slash and I would imagine people know that about his game. Not only will he mass shooting production going to diminish elsewhere, these guards are just bigger and more athletic. I think his ceiling has been reached, and dont get me wrong, it's a good ceiling to be able to reach. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Except it doesn’t back up his words and sets up a poor precedent for others. The world is lacking leaders. The country is lacking leaders. It’s all around sad for the current and for the future. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Except it doesn’t back up his words and sets up a poor precedent for others. The world is lacking leaders. The country is lacking leaders. It’s all around sad for the current and for the future. 

Tylor will be graduating and leaving UNT soon but still visiting Denton ISD schools. Seems like leadership to me. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

The question I ask myself about Tylor Perry:

Would I be willing to switch my sports fandom to Arkansas for $400K? 

Can’t watch Mean Green football or basketball any more (unless they are playing Arkansas).

Can’t go to Denton for games. Have to go to Arkansas. Can’t go on Mean Green message boards or listen to UNT podcasts or follow my favorite North Texas athletes on Twitter. All that transfers to Arkansas too. 

$400K is a lot of money and that is what Tylor is looking at.

I personally wouldn’t do it at that number, but I bet I would have a price. Would you? 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1