Breaking: Tylor Perry enters transfer portal

37 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Well shit... It's gonna be a long season next year. I have no doubt Ross Hodge is an incredible coach and defensive mastermind, but I don't know much about him as a recruiter...

This one hurts a lot... Think we'll take a step back

He actually has an excellent track record as a recruiter, and I have a lot of faith in him.  Still, the major recruiting these days is done by the NIL collectives, not the coaches.  I know we're going to lose a lot of bidding wars for our top players, but I really hope our NIL program at least tried to offer him everything they could.  All the championships in the world don't mean anything in terms of sustained success if we're trying to throw together a roster of volunteers and have them compete against top-dollar professionals. 

• RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I've often said....Tylor may not be our greatest player ever.....but I think he is our most beloved. Anyway, good luck to TP.....

And even though I bet this guy ends up at Wichita State....I sure would love to have him here: (he played at Dallas Jesuit)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/36059352/oral-roberts-guard-max-abmas-enters-transfer-portal

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

If you didn’t see this coming it was only cognitive dissonance.  He paid his dues and then some.  The chance to actually get financial freedom is available to him and he did not short change us for it.  My guess is he’s going to Tech and it’s probably not a surprise to the inside at all.  We will be ok and we can still love him and wish him a chance at a solid year there to up his draft stock, develop and get a real shot at the draft.  Hard to imagine him playing like a Brunson in the NBA but I’d never count him out! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, rojomojo said:

Anybody that even dares to be mad or upset at TP for this decision can lick my boot. This man has huge things ahead of him and we all owe it to him to back him every step of the way

Jesus, its crap like this that drives me nuts.  

Also, what drives me nuts is hearing people say lines 'earned the right to transfer'.  what does that even mean?!

I love what TP has done for the program the past few years. But, I definitely have a lot of respect for the Jelly Walkers of the world that even with all the accolades and "earning the right to transfer" they stay true to their school and continue to make where they are great. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Are we surprised? I’m not. I know others who aren’t, either. I think TP was going even if Coach Mac had stayed.  Who knows—maybe  he’ll change his mind?

🤔 Hmmm? I know all Tech varsity athletes receive $36,000 NIL money. This is not the NCAA we all grew up with & most of us genuinely hate it.  

We still don’t have enough continued tradition & success at UNT for good talent to want to feel tied to UNT & stay in Denton.  Every success story we’ve ever had who left Denton in the past it seems has mentioned lack of fan support.  He didn’t say it, but Wren Baker had to wonder—“just what’s it going to take to put butts inside a fairly nice spectator’s venue?

UNT in the late 50’s & 60’s—Where are these fans now (besides Greenwood & Laurel Land)?

89382F3B-F24F-4E9A-B10C-CCF751B39DC1.jpeg.6d936d4af0802051c07c70b3d06058c6.jpeg

A 1970’s crowd in the Super Pit

76A627AB-EAD5-422A-BCC3-0AF7820E51C4.jpeg.4a30bd863757aaf34ed29c477fa15664.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

you mean the guy who started his career at Seton Hall? before transferring and playing 2 seasons at Tulane? before transferring to UAB? that guy who "stayed true"?

Unless you consider averaging less than 2 points a game stellar at Seton Hall. He made his name at UAB.  And after, he chose to stay at UAB. 

Edited by Travis
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

47 minutes ago, BleedingGreen said:

Dang so I am thinking only 5 scholarship players back at most :  Jones , Scott , Moore , Sissoko and Stone

I am good with that. Add to it. 

I hate the portal. I hate the comment “he earned the right to transfer”.  When has that become a right?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, Travis said:

He made his name at UAB.  He stayed at UAB. 

he dropped 13 a game as a sophomore at Tulane...was their second leading scorer and lead the team in assists with 55 more than the next player. he was a key part of their team and chose not to "stay true".

and he "made his name" at UAB...to you...because it's the only place you ever heard he existed. 

you made a very bad sports point. don't keep doubling down. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

he dropped 13 a game as a sophomore at Tulane...was their second leading scorer and lead the team in assists with 55 more than the next player. he was a key part of their team and chose not to "stay true".

and he "made his name" at UAB...to you...because it's the only place you ever heard he existed. 

Oh please.... the leading scorer on a bad tulane hardly makes him anything.  You made a point about Seton Hall where he was under 2 points.  Your points are weak.

You know what does create a name for himself?? Being the conference player of the year on a good program. 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

12 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Jelly Walker may have been the best visitors team guard I’ve seen in Denton since Maurice Cheeks future NBA’er played there toward the end of our Missouri Valley Conference era. 

Tylor Perry is the best guard in Mean Green basketball history.  Wish he would have stayed & built onto that legacy (& maybe a statue) at the outdoor plaza of the Super Pit.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I’m with you old timers about missing the good ole days…but these ain’t them and it’s one of those classic, don’t hate the player, hate the game situations.  If you want to be mad, be mad at the  NCAA or our fellow alumni who chose ignore reality or not to care.  Asking Tylor to forgo $30,000 minimum to a long term reality of millions for his own life future in exchange for being loyal to our silly egos is antiquated emoting now.  I totally get it.  I miss true commitment.  But this isn’t only pure capitalism now, it’s the wild Wild West and every man has to play his cards right to make the most of himself.  Don’t judge TP with the standards of yesteryear.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Travis said:

Oh please.... the leading scorer on a bad tulane hardly makes him anything.  You made a point about Seton Hall where he was under 2 points.  Your points are weak.

You know what does create a name for himself?? Being the conference player of the year on a good program. 

oh good...a tripling down on terrible takes. and contradictory points to boot? more fun for me!

here are your words in regards to Jelly: "they stay true to their school and continue to make where they are great"

he was injured his year at Seton Hall and made the decision to leave. 

the top 8 scorers on that 20-21 Tulane team where Jelly was 2nd in scoring and led in assists...all of those players still had eligibility last season...it was nothing but freshmen and sophomores. staying true would've been staying at Tulane and building with a young roster. 

instead...he transferred down in conference...to possibly "make a name for himself", not his team. 

feel free to keep hitting that quote button, but it's getting silly now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Thankful for what he did here, but no need to wish him well or any of that nonsense (just I definitely don't care what happens to Grant now that he is gone).  The unfortunate reality is he was basically an employee and, like any employee, is seeking better employment. Bye.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

oh good...a tripling down on terrible takes. and contradictory points to boot? more fun for me!

here are your words in regards to Jelly: "they stay true to their school and continue to make where they are great"

he was injured his year at Seton Hall and made the decision to leave. 

the top 8 scorers on that 20-21 Tulane team where Jelly was 2nd in scoring and led in assists...all of those players still had eligibility last season...it was nothing but freshmen and sophomores. staying true would've been staying at Tulane and building with a young roster. 

instead...he transferred down in conference...to possibly "make a name for himself", not his team. 

feel free to keep hitting that quote button, but it's getting silly now. 

Oh good. This is fun for me too. Glad we see it the same way. 
the context is obvious but seems to escape you. So I will mansplain it to you since you need it so… he didn’t create the accolades he did for himself at Tulane. He scored 13 points on a bad Tulane team in his second year. Now, and stay with me here because I know this one is hard for you….  When you become ‘great’ like he did as a CUSA POY instead of using his last year to go elsewhere or just going pro, he stayed to push his program he was already at to a whole other level. Which is where the respect comes from. But so often, players at ‘lesser’ places will parlay that into another program that they think will give them more back. And regardless of if it does or not… I have more respect for those that stay true to the program that made them that way instead of leaving.
Context is a bitch but I know after laying out the blueprints to it all that I believe you can follow that enough. I believe in you. You got this champ. 

• RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

you mean the guy who started his career at Seton Hall? before transferring and playing 2 seasons at Tulane? before transferring to UAB? that guy who "stayed true"?

Realize a bit of the subject, but were all of these transfers without sitting out? Still not clear how players are playing at 3 or 4 schools and staying eligible.