NCAA D1 🏈 Facility Arms Race Continues…

Some interesting End Zone Facilities pictured in this article link & to ADLER: Is the La Tech facility as seen below what you had in mind for fabulous Apogee Stadium?  I think it’s very impressive & Tech officials said was built for only $15 million?  (That’s even more impressive).

29E37CE6-04AB-4766-8DF9-DF03719B3096.jpeg.a73e4ba8e1fcd84cc9c80eab6df4fcb0.jpeg

•••Below photo taken during a 2021 televised game between La Tech & North Texas. I took this pic off my bedroom TV.  
7ED8D379-87EC-4286-82AF-23DF02BB8095.thumb.jpeg.fcabeafb168f59fde4621d9193bdc01a.jpeg

Link: 
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2022/04/18/Portfolio/College-facilities.aspx

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 4

4 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Athletic center expansion comes before ANYTHING else.... Our current standing is pathetic when compared to fellow AAC members

It was made clear by Wren Baker that all the "wants" would have to wait and that the athletic center/weight room expansion is A#1 on the list of priorities.

When can we expect this work to begin? 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It was made clear by Wren Baker that all the "wants" would have to wait and that the athletic center/weight room expansion is A#1 on the list of priorities.

Honestly I was surprised they built the indoor football facility before they expanded the athletic center... Obviously the football facility is a much bigger and brighter project, but I feel like that would've been a brick to stack on top of an expanded athletic center

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

At the Abner Haynes/Dr. Leon King Unity Plaza ceremony last Fall an Athletic official told our group before the ceremony began that he & SL were in Houston 3 times the previous 2 years visiting UNT letterman Mattress Mac McIngvale, but that’s where the conversation ended  on that ceremonial day. 16EBAF7E-D827-45E9-BBD3-857BDDA08E35.thumb.jpeg.d7374a124f9b8c6920f57bdf7d763567.jpeg

Below pic taken of Abner Haynes & Leon King at old Fouts Field. 

A2546378-3A08-4A90-B9AD-29A3FF442D1E.jpeg.99bd5d4080818c4a633eb459efcbb1da.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/3/2023 at 3:48 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

Wren is no longer here.  What does JM want?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

If you look on the UNT website for donations, there's a link to donate for the athletic center. 

Jared Mosley wanted to expand the athletic center just as much as Wren

Well then Jared Mosley needs to figure it out. We’ve been talking about this forever. They gonna start construction or not? And don’t give me the RV “if y’all would just donate, we can do some things” 

he has the big job….get it done 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 5

21 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

If that's "meh" what does that make ours?

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 11.13.15 AM.png

These things rarely match renderings once completed. I’d expect this will be no different. Assume the bottom glass looking things are windows into the weight room?

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

It's actually very nice.

10020151119113511_71.jpg?width=1000&heig

LA-Tech-Stadium.png

Have you seen the renderings of what UNTs may look like? LA Tech's is miles better. 

Above is La Tech's SOUTH endzone facility.

Below is their proposed NORTH endzone facility...

North Endzone Rendering

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

These things rarely match renderings once completed. I’d expect this will be no different. Assume the bottom glass looking things are windows into the weight room?

I certainly hope so, because if it is anywhere near what those renderings show it's going to be embarrassing. I think that wall is just to hold up the deck/building. I was confused at first too, but if you look closely there is space under/behind that staircase. The weight room will be on the other side next to the IPF if they go with the renderings they showed, you can see the corner of it peaking into this shot. 

Screenshot2023-04-05at10_55_44PM.png.d253cdc8d2f5fec43cbff269fc69f19d.png

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Call me crazy, but if I'm a player, I want to see every face of the screaming fans that just saw me score a touchdown instead of my faint reflection in windows below some boosters who probably don't get out of their seat to clap. A facility like our renderings and like La Tech's monstrosity takes away valuable seats that could be filled with green-clad fans. Just because it's a "pretty building" doesn't mean it's a good thing. Again, call me crazy, but a stadium should be a stadium packed with fans as close as they can be to the action. It shouldn't be an office building offshoot.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

On 4/3/2023 at 4:59 PM, rojomojo said:

Honestly I was surprised they built the indoor football facility before they expanded the athletic center... Obviously the football facility is a much bigger and brighter project, but I feel like that would've been a brick to stack on top of an expanded athletic center

The IPF was donor specific.  It was the first facility requested by the AD and seems to have paid off handsomely.  Coaches and players alike have praised the facility.  It sure beats practicing in 100 degree heat or pouring rain.  Many high schools have Indoor Practice Facilities now and anything less by us would seem unimpressive to recruits.  It seems to be paying off in the quality of recruits that it's attracting.  

I thought that the athletic center expansion was in the budget but now I see that the expectations are for a large donor to furnish the major funding.  I doubt that we have enough heavy donors for that to happen in this economy.  The last I heard they were courting Mattress Mac (former linebacker who graduated from UNT) to be the donor but I'm not sure that is still in progress.  I expect the building to be started within the next school year if we have to borrow from ourselves and pay it back gradually.  The only alum that I know has that has millions is Brint Ryan but he has given 30 million to the College of Business which is named for him.  I doubt that he'd want to donate another huge amount so soon.  I wish that some of the heavy rollers could pool donations and name the Athletic Center in honor of C. Dan Smith, a former athlete who gives to most UNT needs.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/5/2023 at 8:11 PM, Green Otaku said:

It's actually very nice.

10020151119113511_71.jpg?width=1000&heig

LA-Tech-Stadium.png

Have you seen the renderings of what UNTs may look like? LA Tech's is miles better. 

I don’t like La Tech’s or the preliminary ones I’ve seen for Apogee. I agree with the above. They’re both very “meh.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

It's not a questione of whether ours is "meh" or not (It is hideous). The question is why are we even considering putting this academic shed INSIDE our stadium?

Build it where it belongs; somewhere other than inside our stadium.

Then build a first class end zone complex and expand stadium seating capacity. We currently are not equipped, but we will need the ability to host Big XII level schools in the near future.

Or we will soon be humiliated because we can't support our student demands nor the needs of our gueasts.

Just asking, but why do you think we will be hosting " Big Xll level schools in the near future "? SMU and Tech?

• Downvote 2