NIT Billboard in Denton looking good

10 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

We have billboards up, but they’re a bit more generic regarding enrollment and diversity. Not too many sports related.  I think you’re on to something..

This is a unique opportunity to Market our Athletic Program to those unknowing.   Schools get big application bumps with major sports achievements.

• Upvote 3

This is a small, yet valuable, marketing action. We need many many more of these types of marketing actions coming from the AD to truly build the programs. I’ll say it again: UNT will never change the perception of the sports teams unless the AD invests in great marketing. This billboard is a perfect example of capitalizing on a huge win and educating the local community about it to start changing the perception. Bravo.

One way I would consider improving this billboard (or similar billboard in the future) is to make it more relevant to the average passerby by implementing a large, clean headline such as: “North Texas Beat Oklahoma State and Wisconsin to Win National Basketball Championship.”

Why?

1) You can read that in under 7 seconds as you pass the sign.

2) The average passerby probably isn’t likely to know the NIT name, so there’s risk they assume UNT won an insignificant championship. Mentioning two national athletic brands instantly brings more credibility. 

3) A headline like that conveys what happened and spoonfeeds people what they need to know; it provokes the thought, “Oh wow, North Texas must have been pretty good this year.” I bet over 40% of the people driving by the billboard as it is don’t fully know what to make of it because their eye is drawn to all the imagery and then they might catch “champs” at the last second. They might not process the UNT logo or name on the jerseys to know who the champs even are. Good imagery is nice, but good messaging will trump it every time.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

20 hours ago, NTEX91 said:

The same board was displayed today on Loop 820 in North Richland Hills.

One in Lewisville headed South just before the Hebron/121 exits too. 

• Upvote 3