Ousmane?

Big Z

I told y’all after the Sam game that he quit…and everyone frowned on me, called me crazy and said there was a special place in hell for me!  But that’s what happened.  “Family situation” was a smoke screen…they didn’t want the distraction of Grant and Abou to saturate the media and pull the kids minds away from the goal of winning the NIT.  It worked!

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, Travis said:

Where did you hear about him not coming back??

Typically when you walk away from the team due to a disagreement/altercation you don’t come back. I think someone said he may end up at Kansas State. I don’t know how accurate that piece is though. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Typically when you walk away from the team due to a disagreement/altercation you don’t come back. I think someone said he may end up at Kansas State. I don’t know how accurate that piece is though. 

I always wondered if it was more than just a family emergency.  Like I said, when I was hall director it taught me a lot about how little truth there sometimes were in press releases about certain incidents that I witnessed first hand. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Travis said:

I always wondered if it was more than just a family emergency.  Like I said, when I was hall director it taught me a lot about how little truth there sometimes were in press releases about certain incidents that I witnessed first hand. 

Yes. Mozart hall correct? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, keith said:

That's true in almost every situation when there is a public statement released.

True and then people who know the truth who try to subtly let it know as to not give away too much or how much of the know they are in are bashed…. It’s an odd world 🤣

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Yeah, initially I assumed it was a family illness but since he didn't quickly return and no details were mentioned (along with no "shout outs" from the coach/team after wins), I suspected it was something other than medical.   It never occurred to me that he had quit.  This is really bizarre.

5 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yeah, initially I assumed it was a family illness but since he didn't quickly return and no details were mentioned (along with no "shout outs" from the coach/team after wins), I suspected it was something other than medical.   It never occurred to me that he had quit.  This is really bizarre.

I thought it was pretty evident by the 11 minutes he played against Alcorn state and  started jawing with the other bigs and staff. When he didn’t show up against Sam Houston State I assumed he quit or was told to not come back. 

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

I told y’all after the Sam game that he quit…and everyone frowned on me, called me crazy and said there was a special place in hell for me!  But that’s what happened.  “Family situation” was a smoke screen…they didn’t want the distraction of Grant and Abou to saturate the media and pull the kids minds away from the goal of winning the NIT.  It worked!

You're throwing out an "I Told You So" when we are still in the could-be-family-emergency stage.  Has something new been announced that I am not aware of?

Is it not possible he needed to get back to family, and that family situation forced him to quit?

You could be right, but that's not my point.  It's that the dialogue on this forum, without any details, is painting a picture that he is simply a fold.  Quit his team.  Why would we do that without any further detail?  I generally think it's bad taste to smear someone when everything we know is only speculation.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Either way I am grateful to him. He was a highly regarded center out of Queens, NY. He stayed committed to Rhode Island until they pulled his offer to make room for the 5* twin 7 footers transferring from Rutgers. North Texas had been recruiting him, and he then committed to UNT. He held his UNT commitment firm even when Rick Pitino of nearby Iona was in his family's house making his pitch to Abou and his family.

Abou held his commitment, signed with North Texas, worked his tail off to get in his best possible shape, studied Zach's game, and gave us three incredible years.

If he needs to go home for family issues, if he's transferring closer to home, or if he just needs a change of scenery, it doesn't matter. I wish he had stayed through the NIT, but I wish him nothing but the best wherever he winds up, because I know we never would have reached this level of success without him and his contributions.

To paraphrase the UMass coach last year, "Big men that can move like that are rare as hen's teeth. "

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1