Officially Announced: GM the HC for TTU

Travis

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

The only thing I'm disappointed by in all of this is that McCasland's buyout only ended up being $750k...that's far too low and doesn't give us much of a boost, especially considering our buyout to Arkansas State for McCasland was $500k.

I thought it was double that.  Why was it dropped to $750K?

26 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

They clearly are picking him up from the private terminal at McCarran.  Look at the mountains in the background . It's disappointing he didn't even fly home with the team.

I wish success for him and can't say I wouldn't do the same if offered that money, but TX Tech and Lubbock is an awful place to live and recruit to.  

I would have done what Mac did as well. 3 mill is a lot. And if he doesn’t like it there, all he has to do is read a Bible verse to the team and he can move on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I thought it was double that.  Why was it dropped to $750K?

I also thought it was higher, but Brett Vito is reporting McCasland's contract has a $750k buyout and that we paid Arkansas State $500k for McCasland when we first hired him.

Source: https://dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/grant-mccasland-leaving-unt-for-texas-tech-following-win-in-nit/article_a3f3677c-7c9c-5ea9-bdc3-034f97eb4695.html

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Edited by MeanGreenGlory

9 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Yeah, i wasn't butt hurt until i saw this.

First - I understand why he would take the job, and I don't blame him, but his exit has rubbed me wrong.

Probably not meant to be, but this is a gut punch. Next time someone, including me, gets upset when players talk about it being a business, this is their example. I believe, at least in my opinion him not coming back is wrong. For at least a little while, this will give me skepticism when any coach who is not a UNT alum talks about how much they care for the school. I might regret saying this, but at this point, when the team has a celebration, he can stay in Lubbock.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, meangreenbob said:

Yeah, I have to agree. He could have waited a few days. 
This certainly changes my thoughts about him.

That was pretty classless.

Certainly shows he was never really one of us. It was all show. All about McCasland.  

It leaves no doubt in my mind now that he will try and poach players from our team.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, meanrob said:

A good guy who is an ambitious coach in his field? Was he supposed to be something else? 

If we poached some head coach from another team and he did this, we wouldn’t bat an eye. 

You guys want a national type program that is run like a Hoosiers movie. Good luck with that. You might want to direct your energy at getting the athletic department to create the situation where it’s harder for people to leave here. Can’t always let ESPN do the work for us. 

With all due respect, you are missing the point. I didn't think until that video that anyone was upset at him for leaving and understood why he did it. But for him, not even coming back to Denton with the team says a lot.

And yes, you can leave a school without disrespecting them.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:
mer·ce·nar·y

adjective - See the example below

1. primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.
    "the crime was committed out of mercenary motives"

image.png.c20de83a2f95438c72875a2303614cd3.png

This is such a clown take that I would be embarrassed to be this naive and/or hypocritical. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With all due respect, you are missing the point. I didn't think until that video that anyone was upset at him for leaving and understood why he did it. But for him, not even coming back to Denton with the team says a lot.

No it doesn't.  Tech respecting us and delaying the announcement was pretty awesome on their part.  If he had signed the contract a week ago, as reported, then once the horn sounded and the confetti settled last night, he was done.  They are now paying him to fix their program.  It didn't say anything other than he is now an employee of Texas Tech and being the way he is, it was time to get to work.

• Upvote 5

Just now, UNTLifer said:

No it doesn't.  Tech respecting us and delaying the announcement was pretty awesome on their part.  If he had signed the contract a week ago, as reported, then once the horn sounded and the confetti settled last night, he was done.  They are now paying him to fix their program.  It didn't say anything other than he is now an employee of Texas Tech and being the way he is, it was time to get to work.

In my opinion, you can show respect leaving the school. Yes, he has every right to take the tech job, and I have no problem with that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

4 minutes ago, meanrob said:

A good guy who is an ambitious coach in his field? Was he supposed to be something else? 

If we poached some head coach from another team and he did this, we wouldn’t bat an eye. 

You guys want a national type program that is run like a Hoosiers movie. Good luck with that. You might want to direct your energy at getting the athletic department to create the situation where it’s harder for people to leave here. Can’t always let ESPN do the work for us. 

The team just won a National Title. They’ve all worked hard for a long time. There are some fans, not many that really cared about the team and the school. 

He could have waited until he got to Lubbock and their press conference instead of acting as if he couldn’t get away from UNT fast enough. Classless. 

He might have a better record than Johnny Jones but he ain’t no Johnny Jones. That man has class!  McClasland, not so much in my book. Not anymore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I’m not missing any point. You’re posting ridiculous takes about a basketball coach who was crazy successful. I would take this happening a million times if it meant I got to feel the way I did when he won games. This is major competition, not youth league soccer. 

• Upvote 5

You guys aren’t upset at the way it was announced or the timing lol. You’re upset your last hope of him actually staying has been crushed. Be appreciative for what he has accomplished and support the team and coach that we have going forward. He left us better than we started and he is taking advantage of an opportunity that should theoretically help him and his family. 

• Upvote 1

Btw, I am convinced that it was Tech that purposely leaked the information about Mac being the new HC to the media. They had to in order to capture some attention during the NiT ship.  I don’t blame media for this. I think this was intentional from their athletic department.  

believing it was just the media to blame is like believing Abou had a family emergency. 🙂 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, Travis said:

Btw, I am convinced that it was Tech that purposely leaked the information about Mac being the new HC to the media. They had to in order to get some attention during the NiT ship.  I don’t blame media for this. I think this was intentional from their athletic department.  

believing it was just the media to blame is like believing Abou had a family emergency. 🙂 

Actually Abou had to leave to go tell Bigfoot about the alien invasion. 

• Haha 3