The "Gundy" proposal for the portal

El Paso Eagle

On the surface this might seem a little awkward I think that it's a good plan because it would eliminate tinkering.  Those whose contract is up could either receive three/four more years or go to the transfer portal.  In fact, any player whose contract was not renewed would be eligible for the transport portal.  If not taken Division II could offer a scholarship or he could pay his way at the same school.

What it might eliminate is redshirting.  If you give a player a four year contract and redshirt him the first year would he not be eligible for another team in his fifth year? Of course, you could offer him a one-year scholarship but if there were other suitors who offered more you would lose him.  Sounds fair. 

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

If Gundy is promoting it there is some hidden benefit to Gundy and OSU.

I also think many coaches are getting fed up between the portal and NIL. Not sure I can remember a year when so many college coaches left to take NFL jobs.

The problem is that the NCAA is powerless at the end of the day, and money has taken over "major" college football. University Presidents will not stand up for fear of ticking off big-money donors. Unlimited spending will guarantee there is never parity in football. I would like to see the top 30-40 teams break away and the remaining ones put rules in place to take care of the players and the sport.

Schools have taken NIL to mean pay our players a salary when it was supposed to just provide them with funds when the school marketed their name, image and likeness or allowing the student athlete to do the same with an outside entity. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 3/30/2023 at 1:37 PM, GrayEagle said:

What it might eliminate is redshirting.  If you give a player a four year contract and redshirt him the first year would he not be eligible for another team in his fifth year?

Minor issue if an issue at all.  And this in my opinion addresses the most problematic  hypocrisy in the old system.   Commitment should be a two way street.  And I would also like NIL to be restricted to Sophomores in their second semester.  Of course you are still going to have cheaters out there but I don't anyone should have a program for penalizing a program for paying freshmen under the table.  Also I think it would spread out the talent a little.   If the NBA got rid of the one and done rule, this might help basketball even more than football.  Declare yourself ready for the NBA draft out of highschool if you are ready.  If you put in those contracts that players who leave early have for a professional league  to pay back the tution, fees, room, and etc for the length of the contract.  I think almost all these young men need at least 2 years development before turning pro.

• Upvote 1

Are coaches going to sign contracts with schools that say they can leave to take the next job “if their current AD says they can” or are athletes going to be able to pay a buyout if their current coach won’t release them?

Any rules are or restrictions on athletes that make it more difficult than their coaches are going to land everyone right back in court.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Are coaches going to sign contracts with schools that say they can leave to take the next job “if their current AD says they can” or are athletes going to be able to pay a buyout if their current coach won’t release them?

Any rules are or restrictions on athletes that make it more difficult than their coaches are going to land everyone right back in court.

I did not address that point specifically but, yes buyouts are already in place for all the FBS programs.  And treating students exactly like coaches isn't really on the table legally in my opinion unless they are declared straight up employees with a designated salary with all their student expenses deducted from it.  (I am pretty sure nobody wants that set up). They are never going to be able to seperate academic eligibility away from college sports.     Court cases will be looming until they solve the student vs employee issue.   Once they solve that fair rules regarding player movement will be easier.  If they are turned into employees then I am pretty certain a player association will be mandated.  

At the end of the day I don't believe crafting rules for the top 5% of players is what is best for the players, sport or schools.   For instance a player like Gumms under contract with UNT would need a huge check to buyout his 2023-2024 academic year at.  His salary from a P5 would have to cover fees at his new school and Fall/Spring at UNT.  And I suspect these transfers in the middle of Spring would be exceeding rare.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

If they are turned into employees then I am pretty certain a player association will be mandated.  

At the end of the day I don't believe crafting rules for the top 5% of players is what is best for the players, sport or schools.   For instance a player like Gumms under contract with UNT would need a huge check to buyout his 2023-2024 academic year at.  His salary from a P5 would have to cover fees at his new school and Fall/Spring at UNT.  And I suspect these transfers in the middle of Spring would be exceeding rare.  

Yes, player unions are coming.  The term "contract" for a coach and "scholarship" to a player, in the current form is not binding anybody from leaving, and they probably shouldn't.  But there needs to be compensation or credits of some sort to a losing school for those breaking it.  Just like coaches and players leaving NFL teams that are under contract vs free agents.  Are players free agents if they sign a 4-year ship/contract?   Perhaps 1-year is better?  The poaching and recruiting of players on other teams is the biggest problem I see now for mid-level programs.

19 hours ago, NT80 said:

Are players free agents if they sign a 4-year ship/contract?   Perhaps 1-year is better?

I would like a minimum of 2-years be required.  Contact lengths beyond 2-years should be negotiable.  Academically, player movement in their first 2 years is counter productive for the student.   Players under contract are free agents with a buyout requirement due in full before the player can enroll at the new school.  Also the program losing the player could waive the buyout or have a structured payback at their discretion. Unfettered movement up or down between FCS and FBS unaffected.   Maybe FCS programs could designate 1 "franchise" tagged player requiring the FBS school to compensate the FCS school.  If you complete your contract you are completely free agent just like a coach or any contact worker.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

On 3/30/2023 at 5:12 PM, UNTLifer said:

Schools have taken NIL to mean pay our players a salary when it was supposed to just provide them with funds when the school marketed their name, image and likeness or allowing the student athlete to do the same with an outside entity. 

It is amazing how fast they completely skipped over the meaning of "NIL" and went immediately to where everyone assumed it would go eventually. 

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It is amazing how fast they completely skipped over the meaning of "NIL" and went immediately to where everyone assumed it would go eventually. 

Sorry, but if they did not see this happening, then they are idiots. Thousands of fans were talking about pay-to-ply before this was announced. The NCAA lost control quickly. When schools like Miami announced quickly that EVERY player was getting paid, or when BYU announced all walk-ons who made the team (basically a way to bypass the 85 scholarship limit), they should have done something.

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It was a devil's bargan from inception.  The fundamental problem is seperating the good of the students from generating maximum revenue for the games as a product.  None of the conference realignment since Penn State being added to Big 10 has made welfare of the athletes as STUDENTS into consideration.   FBS Head Coaches salaries are obscene in comparison to the average college department head or senior professor.  Ticket prices for top 25 brands in college football are ridiculous.  So not that surprising at all.  

On 3/30/2023 at 11:43 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Haven’t read it yet, but was talking to a fellow alum the other day who said  “sitting out a year after a transfer worked out OK before.” 

I could be wrong, Jim, but I believe that you only have to sit out a year if it's your second transfer.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I could be wrong, Jim, but I believe that you only have to sit out a year if it's your second transfer.  

I would think any kind of transfer.  
A transfer situation tells one that particular recruit &/or school made a mistake in judgement.  I would think it’s a bigger expense for the school since they gave a scholarship to one who was not going to stick with a commitment. •••The NCAA has made leaving & not honoring a commitment too easy.  
A recruit that didn’t get that ‘ship could have been a keeper & have turned out to be an All American.  

I have no more faith in this present NCAA Rules Committee than I do with the Marxists running Washington; that is, those who try to convince all that $7.00 per gallon of gas is actually a good thing & that a polar bear could end up at their front door any day.  I guess if you clearly cannot run a government for all 50 states (at present count) that any kind of diversion is your ally. 

• Eye Roll 2