Something Has to Give (NCAA Rules)

18 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm not one for boycotting or unions for that matter, but something has to be done. Anything. 

At minimum, it wouldn't hurt a fly for the 70 D1 "G5" head coaches to start banding together and becoming outright vocal without  hesitation (to the point of name/program dropping). That is a good place to start. 

They won't do that because most hope to move up to P5 and don't want to burn bridges.

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1

On 3/23/2023 at 1:29 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm not one for boycotting or unions for that matter, but something has to be done. Anything. 

At minimum, it wouldn't hurt a fly for the 70 D1 "G5" head coaches to start banding together and becoming outright vocal without  hesitation (to the point of name/program dropping). That is a good place to start. 

The whole system has been morally dubious at best from the inception of selling performance of unpaid "student-athletes" in media for top dollar with little consideration on impact on their academics.  That is why UCLA & USC athletes will be flying over the entire Mountain Time Zone to play conference games (shortest distance over a 5 hour flight to Nebraska).    So essentially what you are asking for is "honor among thieves" for lack of a better metaphor.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The whole system has been morally dubious at best from the inception of selling performance of unpaid "student-athletes" in media for top dollar with little consideration on impact on their academics.  That is why UCLA & USC athletes will flying over the entire Mountain Time Zone to play conference games (shortest distance over a 5 hour flight to Nebraska).    So essentially what you are asking for is "honor among thieves" for lack of a better metaphor.

So, let's do nothing. Right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I believe that AAC Commissioner Aresco has let them know that what they are doing is wrong.  He may be the lone voice crying in the wilderness, however, and perhaps if we got on other conferences blogs and complained maybe it's possible that the complaint would eventually reach their ADs and Commissioner.  If no one says anything to the P5s it will never be corrected.  Let's be the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.  If the Mountain West and the Sun Belt joined the AAC perhaps that might be enough to get the attention of the P5 Commissioners.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You're right. I'll just refer to your opinion to always replace mine. 

Your opening statement in the first post took tools out of the hands of players and fans.  I am not advocating for unions or boycotts either.  You specifically called out the G5 head coaches getting together and other people pointed out why that is very unlikely.  So we aren't really talking about a difference of opinion.