Gumms Entering Portal

BillySee58

I remember when Karen Aston left after 1 year and the tone on this board was so different. She went out of her way talking about how this was where she wanted to be. 

Damn shame this kid gets ripped and character questioned for changing his mind. And adults are the ones throwing big money around using these kids for our entertainment. 

Best of luck Gumms. Live YOUR life son. No body will give a damn about you when your eligibility is up. 

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 10
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Sorry, but based on that interview this young man is a blatant liar. Guessing the "illegal' contacts and the money offers were too good. 

Shows true character. Life always comes back around. I hate the NIL and I hate people who don’t stand to their word. College sports is absolutely infuriating. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

The NCAA is probably powerless to do anything regarding tampering.

But, the good news is that the tampering has probably legally released North Texas from any of the remaining severence pay on Seth Littrell's remaining contract. I sure hope that "offensive analyst" position pays well enough for him to retain his extravagant standard of living.

I guess there really is a cost associated with selling out your dignity.

Who is the NCAA?  I thought that it consisted of members who met certain standards.  It should be made up so that each member has a vote.  Apparently, if you have more money you get a bigger vote.  Maybe it's deja vu where we're giving money instead of both money and fine cars to our stars.  We worked through that once but this time seems to be more out of control.  

Get some rules that are fair to all.  Let each institution vote to their ability.  Set standards that are fair and reachable for groups such as stadium, attendance, income, number of sports (that is one thing that I believe is being followed) and make every effort to at least break even in each school in each division.  Whatever of these issues (and perhaps others) .can be agreed upon should now be the operating rules and rules of conduct for the Association.  Put limits on NIL.  BE FAIR.  It's not rocket science.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's the timing of it that all but concludes to tampering. And if he wanted to actually leave, he could've and should've left in January. It's Seth Littrell trying to get good boy pats on the head by Venebles. 

Yes, it's all about the lousy timing of his deci$ion.   Make it before the semester starts!  (didn't have the new offer yet??) Give another athlete a scholly and chance at spring practice.   Bush league.

• Upvote 1

No one has been a bigger loser in the transfer portal than OU. They lost a guy who transferred and won the Heisman Trophy! Lol.  
I watched every play of North Texas football last year and I never thought Gumms was any big deal.

Enjoy Var’keyes Gumms, OU. If he is any good, he will just transfer again to USC.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@Cooley, with all due respect, this kid did a podcast within the last week and had nothing but glowing comments. Something drastic changed, or he was giving the interview knowing he was lying. This guy literally quit the team after starting spring practice. Does he have every right: Yes. Does he owe fans anything? No. He also has every right to get ripped by those who have an issue with how he did it, and at the same time, the fans owe him nothing. IMO, the days of players somehow being off-limits to criticism and blowback is over. If, as many say, its business, that goes both ways.

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

I remember when Karen Aston left after 1 year and the tone on this board was so different. She went out of her way talking about how this was where she wanted to be. 

Damn shame this kid gets ripped and character questioned for changing his mind. And adults are the ones throwing big money around using these kids for our entertainment. 

Best of luck Gumms. Live YOUR life son. No body will give a damn about you when your eligibility is up. 

Spot on

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

When his eligibility is up? Try like 5 hours ago. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Roster building is a year-to-year proposition now.
No use getting excited about young players. 

Or maybe we should just get excited about the young players on the Abilene Christian or Louisiana Monroe rosters?

The game has changed. We have to evolve. 

Please remind me which player from those teams went on a Podcast a couple of days before they announced they were leaving to credit his school and then quit after the first practice?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Roster building is a year-to-year proposition now.
No use getting excited about young players. 

Or maybe we should just get excited about the young players on the Abilene Christian or Louisiana Monroe rosters?

The game has changed. We have to evolve. 

Eh, not exactly. Coaching change is a unique circumstance. We weren’t losing starters under Littrell except for Grad Transfers. Most of which had already played 4 seasons for us and were going somewhere else to use that extra COVID year. Murphy twins were really the only ones.

I think Morris’ recruits will stay, save for the outlier here and there. But just like with the Murphy twins and Gumms, people on here will be the loudest about the outliers and not the starter-caliber players who are staying here 4 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Eh, not exactly. Coaching change is a unique circumstance. We weren’t losing starters under Littrell except for Grad Transfers. Most of which had already played 4 seasons for us and were going somewhere else to use that extra COVID year. Murphy twins were really the only ones.

I think Morris’ recruits will stay, save for the outlier here and there. But just like with the Murphy twins and Gumms, people on here will be the loudest about the outliers and not the starter-caliber players who are staying here 4 years.

They're leaving if they're getting tampered with, period. And of course only starters will be illegally poached, they ain't coming after guys getting 6 snaps. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Some of you guys are missing the boat. It's not that he is transferring, but how this has happened. But as some seem to prefer the "this is business" model, everyone, fans, and players, must deal with the fallout.
Here's another thought for those who think it is OK for players to decide yearly if they want to stay. Let the student decide yearly if they will pay the fees to support athletics. After all, some seem to want to talk about the "big money" being made; why not give those required to pay yearly voice? And please, don't beat the dead horse if they don't have to go to UNT if they don't want to pay (all state schools force fees on students for services many will never use).

missed-the-boat.gif

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They're leaving if they're getting tampered with, period. And of course only starters will be illegally poached, they ain't coming after guys getting 6 snaps. 

And I’m saying our starters weren’t leaving prior to the coaching change. Outside of the Murphy twins, everyone else already had given us 4 years and graduated. I just don’t think this is widespread enough to warrant the hysteria the times that it does. When you get a new coach, you’re signing up for the roster that coach is going to put together. Not the roster that he inherited. 

If in two-three years we are seeing these 2023 and 2024 signees that Morris brought in leaving for P5s after starting as underclassmen, then I’d be concerned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

And I’m saying our starters weren’t leaving prior to the coaching change. Outside of the Murphy twins, everyone else already had given us 4 years and graduated. I just don’t think this is widespread enough to warrant the hysteria the times that it does. When you get a new coach, you’re signing up for the roster that coach is going to put together. Not the roster that he inherited. 

If in two-three years we are seeing these 2023 and 2024 signees that Morris brought in leaving for P5s after starting as underclassmen, then I’d be concerned. 

You like digging into things. Go dig into it. It'll be more problematic than what you're leading. Also, remember, quality always trumps quantity. 

And it's certainly a widespread national issue and if our "G5" head coaches across the country and regional media members had testicles they'd be screaming it from the rooftops. 

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Good points. I might not like it, but as long as the spirit of the rule is followed, then Okay. Put in your four years, and the best of luck to you. When KD was considering leaving, he did it the right way, and the fan base treated him accordingly. In this case, people are upset due to the circumstances around the announcement. Maybe he just decided, but it seems curious that he would start practicing, and this quit.

When they were discussing the portal originally, I recall that their "plan" was to give players who might not be getting opportunities a simplified way to move on. I wonder why they (powers-that-be) could not foresee the cluster F that so many were correctly predicting would happen. How did they miss the fact that larger schools would go after players that staffs at smaller schools had invested in and developed? Maybe that is what they wanted? Did they not think about how many players would give up scholarships and never get another one? 

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

KD had the integrity to 'not accept' and he stands tall in my book of good men.

We didn’t know that at the time. The only difference is our fans chose to rip Seth Littrell rather than KD. Morris hasn’t been here long enough to merit the pitchforks so we blame the player himself and the boogeyman that lives in so many heads around here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Good points. I might not like it, but as long as the spirit of the rule is followed, then Okay. Put in your four years, and the best of luck to you. When KD was considering leaving, he did it the right way, and the fan base treated him accordingly. In this case, people are upset due to the circumstances around the announcement. Maybe he just decided, but it seems curious that he would start practicing, and this quit.

When they were discussing the portal originally, I recall that their "plan" was to give players who might not be getting opportunities a simplified way to move on. I wonder why they (powers-that-be) could not foresee the cluster F that so many were correctly predicting would happen. How did they miss the fact that larger schools would go after players that staffs at smaller schools had invested in and developed? Maybe that is what they wanted? Did they not think about how many players would give up scholarships and never get another one? 

Maybe since this was the first time they could actually practice football since Morris got here, he decided this wasn’t the right offense for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, well that's just because they don't know better. That's a drop in the bucket, and I hope he's not getting played like a fiddle for a measly 10k. That's laughable. 

so go play at OU, get a full ride, and 10K right now?  hell ya i would do that.  the 10k could turn into much more.  

i am not a fan of how he left, but, it is money and a better shot at getting more and into the nfl.  north texas can not do all that

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sure that happens. Did Gumms even approach UNT to see what they could do? Doubtful. He chased. 

he would have had to approach the LTTC. UNT cannot do an NIL deal. I dont know that it would have mattered, considering that LTTC doesn't have as much money as OU's. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

36 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This starter wasn’t leaving until Seth got his “analist” job at OU. It’s pretty clear what happened. I thought Ol’ Seth was all about that building leaders….b.s.  Poor example of character. Hope this clear recruiting of our players gets us off the hook for his $1.5 million. What pisses me off more was the fact that I was always a fan of SL because I thought he was a good man. Who would have thought that Big Bad OU would have to poach players off of UNT. 

Best part about it is that we will be fine without him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

It’s because she is white. There, I said it for you. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 5
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1