Gumms Entering Portal

BillySee58

7 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

he would have had to approach the LTTC. UNT cannot do an NIL deal. I dont know that it would have mattered, considering that LTTC doesn't have as much money as OU's. 

Let's be real, same diff. And we don't have to go dollar for dollar with OU. Just dollar for dollar with what they were pushing to gumms. It's whatever at this point. I'm just about over it.  I do find it unusual the amount of soft responses from this BS though. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You like digging into things. Go dig into it. It'll be more problematic than what you're leading. Also, remember, quality always trumps quantity. 

And it's certainly a widespread national issue and if our "G5" head coaches across the country and regional media members had testicles they'd be screaming it from the rooftops. 

What is most of G5 is doing it too? I think (if that is the case) they won't be doing any screaming.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This starter wasn’t leaving until Seth got his “analist” job at OU. It’s pretty clear what happened. I thought Ol’ Seth was all about that building leaders….b.s.  Poor example of character. Hope this clear recruiting of our players gets us off the hook for his $1.5 million. What pisses me off more was the fact that I was always a fan of SL because I thought he was a good man. Who would have thought that Big Bad OU would have to poach players off of UNT. 

Best part about it is that we will be fine without him. 

If that is in fact what happened, then I continue to be not worried about the HS kids Morris is bringing in/getting committed. Unless he gets hired away by a P5.

• Upvote 3

My thought is, guys come and go, North Texas is forever, ill just root for the guys who are here. I am not shaming the ones who don't want to be here. The timing sucks and having an interview in which you say you want to be here and then leave a week later is bad timing, but it is what it is. I will just choose to cheer for those in Green and White (and sometimes Black lol)

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I don't understand this thread at all... Why is everyone so sure it's OU? I haven't seen anything that indicates that he even knows where he wants to go. Maybe he saw what the playbook is looking like after all the pre-spring install and decided to go elsewhere. Gumms is a freakish athlete and could be very productive if he was used more consistently. We barely used the TE as a pass catcher for the past several years so why would Littrell be enticing for him? I just do not get what all the hoopla is about someone leaving. Any of these guys are free to go at anytime... life and the season will go on. Good luck to him wherever he goes. The odds of making it to or on the next level don't automatically go up because he goes to a bigger school, but I hope he finds a better fit for his goals. I hope UNT finds a better fit for our football team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

50 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Why is everyone so sure it's OU? I haven't seen anything that indicates that he even knows where he wants to go. 

I think others are seeing the timing of this and SL's arrival in Norman.  Nothing official, but that is a safe assumption.

It's not certain, though! You're right, we know nothing official and maybe there is something else out there we haven't considered.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I don't understand this thread at all... Why is everyone so sure it's OU? I haven't seen anything that indicates that he even knows where he wants to go. Maybe he saw what the playbook is looking like after all the pre-spring install and decided to go elsewhere. Gumms is a freakish athlete and could be very productive if he was used more consistently. We barely used the TE as a pass catcher for the past several years so why would Littrell be enticing for him? I just do not get what all the hoopla is about someone leaving. Any of these guys are free to go at anytime... life and the season will go on. Good luck to him wherever he goes. The odds of making it to or on the next level don't automatically go up because he goes to a bigger school, but I hope he finds a better fit for his goals. I hope UNT finds a better fit for our football team. 

Gumms was the third leading receiver last year and only a freshman. Roberts was fourth. Maybe he didn’t like what he saw going forward but not correct to say TEs were underutilized. 
Plus he stuck around into spring practice only to declare he would enter the portal in May? It sucks to lose a player of this caliber but the real frustration here is the about the circumstances. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 4

That is too bad.  I guess I will show up the first game and see who shows up on the team.  It is crazy the way college football is now.  Well if they are going to draft from the lower division schools the big boys need to pay compensation to the school losing the player.  If we are going to be a farm system we need to be compensated for it.

• Upvote 6

On 3/24/2023 at 3:22 PM, flyonthewall said:

i feel like in a way, we did fire judy mcleod, so there is that

Yes, but in a way we left her a nice going away present...three basketball teams in the final chase for both NCAA and NIT champions.  She may be heralded another decade for her leadership in basketball.  

• Upvote 1

I initially was upset over this because of the timing and I was just sure SL had something to do with it. Now, I have calmed down. He was recruited by SL and his staff and now they are gone with the exception of PC. Maybe the beginning of Spring Training gave him enough insight to the new staff that he decided it wasn't for him anymore. At the end of the day, it seems he will be gone and no more need to stay on it for me. My energy is cheering for the guys who want to be Mean Green.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Pretty quiet from the players and coaches regarding him leaving. Wonder if Morris told them to keep quiet or if the silence just speaks volumes?

About 10 current players retweeted and 10 different players quoted his announcement on Twitter.

I know it’s not a popular take around here, but GMac’s approach is “I’m going to love on the players that are here.  I want the best for them..whether that’s here, or elsewhere.  The next man up will get the same love. I only want the best for them.”  It’s paraphrased, but that’s the gist of the message. 

• Upvote 4

On 3/23/2023 at 9:30 PM, aztecskin said:

he would have had to approach the LTTC. UNT cannot do an NIL deal. I dont know that it would have mattered, considering that LTTC doesn't have as much money as OU's. 

Gumms was receiving money from the LTTC. 

On 3/23/2023 at 9:38 PM, UNTLifer said:

This starter wasn’t leaving until Seth got his “analist” job at OU. It’s pretty clear what happened. I thought Ol’ Seth was all about that building leaders….b.s.  Poor example of character. Hope this clear recruiting of our players gets us off the hook for his $1.5 million. What pisses me off more was the fact that I was always a fan of SL because I thought he was a good man. Who would have thought that Big Bad OU would have to poach players off of UNT. 

Best part about it is that we will be fine without him. 

OU is not involved in this. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/23/2023 at 5:41 PM, Cougar King said:

Man wants to play P5 ball and secure a large chunk of NIL money, he's already proven himself in the G5 by becoming an All-American. 

Coaches do what's best for themselves, glad the kids can too. If he was transferring to UNT, you guys would be jumping for joy.

Unfortunately, what you are saying is true, but sometimes truth just doesn't sit well for a few of our fans. We could have offered as well. look at Roberts that went to Baylor, I hear he signed a big NIL deal. Either we get involved, or we will fall further behind.