Gumms Entering Portal

BillySee58

How do we know its OU? Could be anywhere. 

If it is OU, and it's because of Seth, then my view of "he's a good man, just a bad HC" will go to "he's both a bad man and a bad HC", and I will be even more thankful we fired him.

But let's see where the cards fall. He might go to Cal with Bloesch, or LSU, who offered him out of high school, or hell with Deion at Colorado. I guarantee you plenty of P5's would love to have him

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

How do we know its OU? Could be anywhere. 

If it is OU, and it's because of Seth, then my view of "he's a good man, just a bad HC" will go to "he's both a bad man and a bad HC", and I will be even more thankful we fired him.

But let's see where the cards fall. He might go to Cal with Bloesch, or LSU, who offered him out of high school, or hell with Deion at Colorado. I guarantee you plenty of P5's would love to have him

How does this make him a "bad man"?  Until the NCAA cracks down on tampering---which I honestly have no idea how they will---this is roster building in 2023.  He literally did the same thing to fleece FCS and D2 schools last year in order to bring in several of the players that would become our stars last season.  If we didn't mind fleecing the smaller schools for their best players, how can we now call him a "bad man" for doing the same thing, but at a different school?

The only way to stop this is to remove the free transfers.  Period.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Maybe Morris doesn’t use TEs much?   But if he ends up at OU with a certain former coach…. 

Morris was directly involved as Co-OC/Inside Receivers in coaching Jace Amaro when he was a unanimous All-American TE in 2013. There's something else going on but it is what it is. I'm looking forward to Christian Lee getting his shot.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, jtm0097 said:

Some of you need to log off and go for a walk. 

It will be ok guys. The transfer portal will be full of guys after spring ball. 

Sorry but I don’t buy that we will suddenly pick up an elite TE. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

#respectmydecision is about as lame as it gets.  You don't ask for respect, geek.  That said, I agree with the sentiment that this doesn't necessarily make him or Seth (assuming he was involved) a "bad person"....they're just playing the game the NCAA allows them to and they're competitors.  But selfishly, yes, F em.  #GMG

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Morris was directly involved as Co-OC/Inside Receivers in coaching Jace Amaro when he was a unanimous All-American TE in 2013. There's something else going on but it is what it is. I'm looking forward to Christian Lee getting his shot.

Tight Ends caught 12 passes in his offense last year and 7 the year before that.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

If I remember correctly, Texas and LSU recruited him hard and he committed to one of them, but when he got injured they both dropped him like a bad habit and his P5 offers dried up. In comes UNT and offers him despite his injury history and he commits to us. That's what makes me think SL is involved. I feel like he was probably telling him before the OU announcement

"that I was the only one who truly wanted you and cared for you when no one else believed in you. If I get this job at OU, I would love to bring you in to a P5 school that will give you a lot better chance to go pro than UNT."

SL gets the job and two days into spring practice he decides he is going to transfer in May. I don't know any of that to be the truth, but I would be surprised if he ended up somewhere other than OU.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Tight Ends caught 12 passes in his offense last year and 7 the year before that.

Not saying this move was not always possible, but why wait and quit your team after practice started? Why do the interviews? Did he think Morris was going to change his offense around him? It seems like there could easily be more to this than we will know.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

44 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Amaro caught 106 Morris' first year there. He and Cumbie were each Co-Oc with Morris over inside receivers and Cumbie over outside receivers and the Texas Tech coach profile pages give him direct credit for Amaro who's not even mentioned on Cumbie's page. Just because he doesn't actively seek out TEs for his offense, doesn't mean he wouldn't use a special talent at TE if he had it.

Also, worth noting Washington state had zero TEs on the roster when Morris got there.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

I can’t blame Gumms for this. He may well have been offered life-changing money for this. The fact of the matter is, we just flat don’t have the means to pay like the P5s do. Our NIL is paltry compared to many. I hate tampering as much as the rest of you but that is on the NCAA and the coaches doing the tampering. The players just have to make the decision that best sets them up for success in life. 

e0dcb60c-b4d9-438a-8476-da755777b6c0_tex

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2