One main reason Mac may take the Tech job

You’d also have to think that team in Austin may make a move now too. That could cause some other shakeups. I’m not saying he’d be in play at Texas, but I wouldn’t be in a huge hurry if I was Coach Mac. He’s going to have a lot of negotiating power as teams continue to make moves the next few weeks.

15 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

You’d also have to think that team in Austin may make a move now too. That could cause some other shakeups. I’m not saying he’d be in play at Texas, but I wouldn’t be in a huge hurry if I was Coach Mac. He’s going to have a lot of negotiating power as teams continue to make moves the next few weeks.

If UT doesn't hire Terry, then they deserve total failure.  Waiting until now was pretty classless considering what they did this year and how he had to navigate them through the Beard issue.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If UT doesn't hire Terry, then they deserve total failure.  Waiting until now was pretty classless considering what they did this year and how he had to navigate them through the Beard issue.

Crazy how he was struggling at UTEP and 2 years later he is the head man at Texas.

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2023 at 4:16 PM, Green Lantern said:

Our basketball facilities are nowhere near Tech. We’re complaining about losing Grant, but there’s a sizable amount of the fanbase that thinks a new, modern basketball facility shouldn’t be the priority after the Athletics Center remodel. Worse - we have a subset actively trying to promote starting baseball from scratch. 

You want to keep or attract top tier coaches, we have to give them top tier facilities. As much as I love the place - the Super Pit is no longer that. Hasn’t been for a long time. That’s just reality.

The Mean Green Althletic program in general should focus on basketball. Focus on being a basketball school. FBall be damned - too much in-state competiton…let’s improve facilities and be known as a Basketball school…i

GMG

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

Our basketball facilities are nowhere near Tech. We’re complaining about losing Grant, but there’s a sizable amount of the fanbase that thinks a new, modern basketball facility shouldn’t be the priority after the Athletics Center remodel. Worse - we have a subset actively trying to promote starting baseball from scratch. 

You want to keep or attract top tier coaches, we have to give them top tier facilities. As much as I love the place - the Super Pit is no longer that. Hasn’t been for a long time. That’s just reality.

those-are-the-facts-its-just-facts.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Coaches are attracted to places they believe they can win.

Grant has proven he can win in the current facilities.

I'm not against a new BBall facility, I've read all the awful descriptions of what's going on behind the scenes, but I don't think it's the dealbreaker some of y'all are making it out to be.  I don't think potential coaches are coming in here, seeing the SP, and running away.  Maybe if they have other offers on the table and all else is equal, then it could come down to the arena.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I dont think facilities play that big of a role when it comes to attracting coaches.  certainly salary plays a role, but I think control, and abilities can be an important part too.  

Support from the Admin and AD are very important to a coach.  Grant may get more $$ at Tech but I doubt he will be as happy with his bosses.  Again, there is pressure to win immediately in the Big12.  NT is a no-pressure job.  Seth stayed 6 years with a .500 record and Jalie stayed 8 years with a .466 overall record.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

The Mean Green Althletic program in general should focus on basketball. Focus on being a basketball school. FBall be damned - too much in-state competiton…let’s improve facilities and be known as a Basketball school…i

GMG

I'd like to know one FBS school that has done this and it has worked out for them. 

If you want to go way back, both Pacific and Long Beach State dropped football in the 90s. Each has had short periods of success but neither is a basketball success story. I don't think either has won a NCAA tourney game in thirty years. 

I'd say the opposite is true, a school like SDSU has heavily invested in its football program. Hasn't taken away from basketball. Everybody keeps looking for the easy route, there isn't an easy route. Hire good people and keep investing in infrastructure. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, meanrob said:

I'd like to know one FBS school that has done this and it has worked out for them. 

If you want to go way back, both Pacific and Long Beach State dropped football in the 90s. Each has had short periods of success but neither is a basketball success story. I don't think either has won a NCAA tourney game in thirty years. 

I'd say the opposite is true, a school like SDSU has heavily invested in its football program. Hasn't taken away from basketball. Everybody keeps looking for the easy route, there isn't an easy route. Hire good people and keep investing in infrastructure. 

Yes, just ask UTA how dropping football in 1985 elevated any of their other sports!?   It hasn't.

In fact, they were kicked out of the Sunbelt Conference last year for not having a football program.  They had to drop down to the WAC.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I don't think people are saying we should DROP football.  Rather that instead of pouring 75% of our resources into football (honestly I don't know what the number is), maybe carve out another 10% and give it to basketball.

Then market the team better, get more people in the Pit and you’d have that ten percent. Or raise that ten percent. 

Multiple times people have said we should be a “basketball” school. Im just asking when that strategy has worked. Certainly FAU isn’t doing this. SDSU isn’t doing this. Im all ears to who is making this strategy work. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Actually, I'd argue SDSU has largely done this.  Most of the Pac12 interest in the Aztecs, aside from being located in SoCal, is from basketball from what I've read.  It's being used to try and get Arizona to stay in the league since their basketball rival (UCLA) is leaving.  

As far as what schools focus on basketball while playing football.  A whole lot!  I haven't checked budgets, but even though I am certain Kentucky spends more on football than basketball just because the nature of the sport, basketball is where their bread is buttered.  I could name a dozen schools that likewise focus on basketball, but I'm sure you could guess which.

Edited by CMJ

Texas and the South are football states.  Football is the main revenue producing sport for the entire athletic program at all large conference schools in this part of the country.  The Midwest is where basketball is king.   

SDSU is spending a LOT on their football program.  They just completed a new stadium...

Snapdragon Stadium - Wikipedia

Edited by NT80

9 hours ago, CMJ said:

I don't think people are saying we should DROP football.  Rather that instead of pouring 75% of our resources into football (honestly I don't know what the number is), maybe carve out another 10% and give it to basketball.

I am sure I will get bad ratings for this take, but I actually think we should drop football.  Become a basketball program and add baseball.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 2

18 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

I am sure I will get bad ratings for this take, but I actually think we should drop football.  Become a basketball program and add baseball.  

I can't go with you there my friend.  Even though I think we need to put more focus on basketball, football needs to be at NT.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

if there was evidence for why it would work, you might actually get good ratings

I can’t help but notice Rice. A baseball brand about as good as it gets, and that AD has been on the struggle bus for relevancy in Texas media for nearly all of my fandom.

they can keep on truckin as-is anyways, because they are Rice. They have their endowment and don’t need attention. We have our endowment and need all the attention we can get.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1