One main reason Mac may take the Tech job

14 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Curious what facilities you are speaking of?

If facilities is all that matters (I don't think it is), we're doomed.

I thought we had built a new basketball practice facility just a few years back.  I think the Pit is not too too bad although a little dated.   I also think we updated the locker rooms recently as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

35 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

That basketball practice facility we have is a joke. The Super Pit needs to go. It served its purpose while it did, but we have to move into 2023. Locker rooms are just lipstick on a pig. We have got to commit to this program if we want to build on what this staff has done on the court.

Not sure why you're getting eyerolls. You're completely right. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not sure why you're getting eyerolls. You're completely right. 

Every time the subject is brought up it's the same thing. I don't care about eyerolls or downvotes, have a field day,  I'd rather people engage in a discussion as to why they disagree. Arkstfan made a great post in the SHSU thread perfectly outlining why overcapacity was not a good thing, not a peep or a downvote from the naysayers. I wonder why? I guess when someone they liked and respected made a clear point their fingers locked up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not denying, but for those of you claiming it is a done deal ( @Andrew @UNT Family Man @p_phelps, where are you getting your information?

I assume that they know people who are close to Mac.  I remember a couple of people on the board having a head's up about LSU a day or two before it broke because they knew folks close to JJ's staff.  Probably the same sort of thing.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I assume that they know people who are close to Mac.  I remember a couple of people on the board having a head's up about LSU a day or two before it broke because they knew folks close to JJ's staff.  Probably the same sort of thing.

Thanks.

In coaching you're either elevated or terminated. It's a good sign for your program when a coach is elevated. We've had too many terminations here in all sports. 

Grant will win at Tech, but he'll also get to be in the same conference with 2 of his coaching buddies in Jerome Tang and Scott Drew. 

Edited by meanJewGreen

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not denying, but for those of you claiming it is a done deal ( @Andrew @UNT Family Man @p_phelps, where are you getting your information?

Never said it was a done deal! But I do believe it to be true… where there is smoke there is usually fire.  

Honestly, I hope I am completely wrong. But I do believe if we had lost the game against Oklahoma State that it would’ve been announced the next day. Now that we have a longer period of time I hope that Jared and his team can make a move. 

But… In six years he’s won CBI championship, our first NCAA tournament game win , had two players named conference player of the year, and in consecutive years five and six he’s had the most wins in university history. We still have only 3500 people attending games. 

$$, facilities, and support in the stands = if he doesn’t leave now he will soon. Unless 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

Never said it was a done deal! But I do believe it to be true… where there is smoke there is usually fire.  

Honestly, I hope I am completely wrong. But I do believe if we had lost the game against Oklahoma State that it would’ve been announced the next day. Now that we have a longer period of time I hope that Jared and his team can make a move. 

But… In six years he’s won CBI championship, our first NCAA tournament game win , had two players named conference player of the year, and in consecutive years five and six he’s had the most wins in university history. We still have only 3500 people attending games. 

$$, facilities, and support in the stands = if he doesn’t leave now he will soon. Unless 

Thanks. I appreciate your take on the situation. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2023 at 4:16 PM, Green Lantern said:

Our basketball facilities are nowhere near Tech. We’re complaining about losing Grant, but there’s a sizable amount of the fanbase that thinks a new, modern basketball facility shouldn’t be the priority after the Athletics Center remodel. Worse - we have a subset actively trying to promote starting baseball from scratch. 

You want to keep or attract top tier coaches, we have to give them top tier facilities. As much as I love the place - the Super Pit is no longer that. Hasn’t been for a long time. That’s just reality.

SPOT ON!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

I think there are a few reasons why this is but one I don’t see talked about a lot is the effect the Covid year had on the fan base. Casual people didn’t get to experience that year like we (diehards) did. The casual fan didn’t get to build that bond with the team bc they were not able to attend games, see them win the CUSA tourney, see the Purdue win, etc. I know people that have become more invested during this season than that 2021 season. College sports are emotional and it’s hard to form that bond when you’re kept an arms length away. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I think there are a few reasons why this is but one I don’t see talked about a lot is the effect the Covid year had on the fan base. Casual people didn’t get to experience that year like we (diehards) did. The casual fan didn’t get to build that bond with the team bc they were not able to attend games, see them win the CUSA tourney, see the Purdue win, etc. I know people that have become more invested during this season than that 2021 season. College sports are emotional and it’s hard to form that bond when you’re kept an arms length away. 

This is a great point. I remember seeing that small celebration in Indianapolis and wondering what if…

it killed fan momentum for mid majors more than anything

I am honestly surprised he stayed as long as he has.  That was not the plan.  Have that on first hand authority.

People need to stop with the inferiority complex, for real.  North Texas is a kick ass place.  We have a ton of natural advantages that can’t be replicated.  It’s a stepping stone for everyone until they get here and see it for themselves.  You all know this.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1