PLEASE Conduct a NATIONAL Coach Search

rojomojo

39 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I say we back the Brinks truck up to Mac's house and see what it would take to get him to stay. I think he's on the verge of getting this program to be a perennial at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, while also being in conference championship conversations annually. I would also love to see us break ground on a new arena sooner than later. Texas needs a school to sell-out to be the basketball school in the state. Let's be that school. Ryan Arena has a nice ring to it!

It would need to be $3MM a year, PLUS $10MM toward a new arena+hoops facilities like, TODAY. Tech already has that, plus the best league in the nation. He can walk into the Womble this afternoon. He can start earning his new salary as soon as he signs on the line that is dotted. 

We can start spending money on the things that will attract and keep the next good coach right now, however. TTU spend money in 2018 to build that center for Chris Beard. It will be Mac that is kicking his feet up in the offices, however. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

It would need to be $3MM a year, PLUS $10MM toward a new arena+hoops facilities like, TODAY. Tech already has that, plus the best league in the nation. He can walk into the Womble this afternoon. He can start earning his new salary as soon as he signs on the line that is dotted. 

We can start spending money on the things that will attract and keep the next good coach right now, however. TTU spend money in 2018 to build that center for Chris Beard. It will be Mac that is kicking his feet up in the offices, however. 

I agree with all you say, but I also think that he could be in a pressure cooker there pretty quickly if they don't win.  I think UNT could offer him and his family more stability.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I agree with all you say, but I also think that he could be in a pressure cooker there pretty quickly if they don't win.  I think UNT could offer him and his family more stability.

oh yeah I think that is always on the mind of any head coach. They know it can turn quickly, and whereas you were the hottest thing ever suddenly you are hated by everyone. Seth Littrell had a little of that. He was rumored to go to K-State, MISS ST, and other spots and now he's a glorified GA. 

I think these guys are competitors, and all *know* they can do the job at the best places -- but also that it is a step-up in all the ways. It won't be Brett Vito and the Daily and (sometimes) MGN interviewing him after the game. 

But yeah that's the deal you take. You want more people to care about game 10 and not only game 38? Well, consider they will CARE about game 10, and you will be asked about it a ton, and your players will have to read more than just 5-10 negative tweets from fans. I'm sure he thought about it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

oh yeah I think that is always on the mind of any head coach. They know it can turn quickly, and whereas you were the hottest thing ever suddenly you are hated by everyone. Seth Littrell had a little of that. He was rumored to go to K-State, MISS ST, and other spots and now he's a glorified GA. 

I think these guys are competitors, and all *know* they can do the job at the best places -- but also that it is a step-up in all the ways. It won't be Brett Vito and the Daily and (sometimes) MGN interviewing him after the game. 

But yeah that's the deal you take. You want more people to care about game 10 and not only game 38? Well, consider they will CARE about game 10, and you will be asked about it a ton, and your players will have to read more than just 5-10 negative tweets from fans. I'm sure he thought about it. 

To be fair, several former HCs have reinvented themselves by becoming an analyst at Alabama before moving on to become a coordinator and eventually a HC again later on. Sarkisian, Strong, Mike Stoops, Butch Jones come to mind and they did so after flopping at a big P5. No reason to believe this can't happen with SL at Oklahoma but it's not because he stayed at UNT that he's now an analyst at OU.

McCasland is a smart guy, as are many of these HCs. He also appears humble. Yes, he's a competitor. Houston is showing you can compete at the highest level in today's AAC. He's from DFW and family matters a lot to some people. I think compensation is the biggest issue. If UNT can beef that up a bit, I can see him staying. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave either.

• Upvote 2

No matter who we have, whether it's McCasland, or someone to be determined, I would expect a step back next year as we move conferences.  I'm not saying we're gonna have a losing record or anything, but I wouldn't think we'd go 18-2 or 16-4 either.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

To be fair, several former HCs have reinvented themselves by becoming an analyst at Alabama before moving on to become a coordinator and eventually a HC again later on. Sarkisian, Strong, Mike Stoops, Butch Jones come to mind and they did so after flopping at a big P5. No reason to believe this can't happen with SL at Oklahoma but it's not because he stayed at UNT that he's now an analyst at OU.

McCasland is a smart guy, as are many of these HCs. He also appears humble. Yes, he's a competitor. Houston is showing you can compete at the highest level in today's AAC. He's from DFW and family matters a lot to some people. I think compensation is the biggest issue. If UNT can beef that up a bit, I can see him staying. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave either.

Sure, about SL I meant that I'm sure Seth Littrell saw his friend Dykes in the NC game and thought "I want to coach at that level" and he sort of missed his opportunity by staying at North Texas when could have left. Now he's an analyst -- not a bad gig all things considered -- but a long way off from being Sark or Strong or Butch Jones (at Arkansas State, so he fell backward). Ultimately it is about performing, but I think they all think they can perform at the highest level. 

I think NT offers a lot for coaches, and with the right investment -- could even compete at the highest level. But NT is far away from Houston when it comes to support (financially, fandom, facilities, etc). It is far away from Memphis in terms of competing consistently. That's a lot to make up for, and I see Texas Tech as the logical choice for him.

I get what you are saying about DFW being home but I disagree that choosing Lubbock is NOT choosing family. His wife went to school there. It is an 1.5 hour flight (commercial) to Dallas and I'm sure Womble or someone would let him use the plane every now and again as part of a sweetener. 

So I disagree that it is all about beefing up the compensation a bit. 

• Upvote 1

I have trust in Mosley to make the best of this time.  I am sure he will do everything to have McCasland stay. 

In order:

1. Create package to have Grant continue to build what we have. This will take a needed growth in fan support.

2. He will find the best coach to continue the build.

If we have to look for a new coach this is who I would call - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hoffman_(basketball) ( He has ties to both Texas and Oklahoma) he has built programs.  I know when we we had to replace Jones, he was interested. I sent all the information to Rick V to contract him. HE choose not to.

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 3

13 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Sure, about SL I meant that I'm sure Seth Littrell saw his friend Dykes in the NC game and thought "I want to coach at that level" and he sort of missed his opportunity by staying at North Texas when could have left. Now he's an analyst -- not a bad gig all things considered -- but a long way off from being Sark or Strong or Butch Jones (at Arkansas State, so he fell backward). Ultimately it is about performing, but I think they all think they can perform at the highest level. 

I think NT offers a lot for coaches, and with the right investment -- could even compete at the highest level. But NT is far away from Houston when it comes to support (financially, fandom, facilities, etc). It is far away from Memphis in terms of competing consistently. That's a lot to make up for, and I see Texas Tech as the logical choice for him.

I get what you are saying about DFW being home but I disagree that choosing Lubbock is NOT choosing family. His wife went to school there. It is an 1.5 hour flight (commercial) to Dallas and I'm sure Womble or someone would let him use the plane every now and again as part of a sweetener. 

So I disagree that it is all about beefing up the compensation a bit. 

SL today is where Sark and Butch were 3-5 years ago. Charlie Strong was hired as an analyst at Alabama less than a month ago around March 1st. He and SL are in the same boat.

Yes, Houston and Memphis are better equipped for success now. My point was regarding conference affiliation, the AAC is respected enough to get a decent shot at the big dance every year. No, it's not the Big 12 but it still will offer a basketball program with better chances at an at-large bid than CUSA has in our time here. The Fertitta Center has undergone 2 renovations since Sampson was hired at UH and his salary was a fraction of what it is today. UNT would likely have to make a commitment to a new gym or major renovations on top of a big bump in pay to keep McCasland but I think it can be done.

This whole point of his wife going to Texas Tech for school makes me laugh. She's from DFW and her family lives here. There's a video from their time at Arkansas State where she was asked what the most important thing was for them and she said being close to their family is the most important. At the time at least, her parents, brother, his wife and their 3 kids were all in DFW. We know Grant's family is as well. This is home. Taking a flight every now and then is not the same as a drive to meet with family for dinner or a random play date or being right there if there's an emergency. You can take a plane almost anywhere in the country. Lubbock is not close enough to DFW to be "close to home."

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Marcelo said:

Wait...am I missing something? Why is it a "done deal" that coach Mac is going to Tech?? I don't see anywhere that indicates that with certainty. 

it's not. you'll get used to this mess from this board if you stick around long enough. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

If Mac does end up leaving, I don't understand why people are so dismissive of Hodge being elevated to HC. Since the beginning, there have been rumors swirling that Hodge truly is the secret to Mac's success and Mac has even alluded to that a few times in interviews. Keep the train rolling that has given us the most success we've ever had

• Upvote 4

Hodge should get the job, unless you can find a coach with G5 or P5 ( and be a recognizable name) success. This is why a national search should be done. The job is more attractive than it ever has been. If we were still in C-USA, then I would be on the Hodge band wagon. The AAC will be very attractive for coaching candidates.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Oh yeah, got a source? 

And Russ is the guy. Don't waste 50k on a bullshit "search firm". Those guys are complete jokes and a waste of money. 

let's form up a coaching search firm to get in on this sweet money-wasting thing. It is a glorified go-between and I have plenty of experience from middle school: "hey my buddy thinks you're cute and wants me to give you this note" 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

let's form up a coaching search firm to get in on this sweet money-wasting thing. It is a glorified go-between and I have plenty of experience from middle school: "hey my buddy thinks you're cute and wants me to give you this note" 

GMG.com Search Firm.  We'll get a group of ten of us and charge 500K.

I volunteer.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah i dunno. What i do know is that these firms are used to provide insulation and deter blame. Nothing more. It's a crapshoot as is, but if you're an AD and you don't have your finger on the pulse of your programs then why are you here and why do you have a job. ADs have short lists of replacements for all programs. Why are we spending 50-75-100k is beyond me.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

how long do they have to conduct a national search?  The semester is almost over, and the transfer portal is already open.  These players really love this coach, if he goes then I would expect a couple players to test the transfer portal.  I think the best way to keep the program going is to hand it over to Hodge right away.  Otherwise we risk the program collapsing, and having to start a rebuild. 

• Upvote 2