Softball vs. Okie St - 6:00 pm

Observations - lost to the #2 team 0-2

• We keep wasting good pitching with poor hitting.
  • We watch too many balls go by. We need to be more aggressive at the plate
  • Why is Sparks still starting - Hitting around .140
  • STOP wearing black - we are supposed to be the Mean Green!
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Observations - lost to the #2 team 0-2

• We keep wasting good pitching with poor hitting.
  • We watch too many balls go by. We need to be more aggressive at the plate
  • Why is Sparks still starting - Hitting around .140
  • STOP wearing black - we are supposed to be the Mean Green!

2-0 isn't a bad loss at #2 OK State. But, the fact that we keep losing these types of games because we just can't generate enough offense is discouraging. Our team seems to be a few bats away from being a real contender on the national level. We need more offense. It's that simple. Sure we can run-rule the UTSA's of the world, but facing elite pitching has puzzled our girls all season. Do we need to sign higher caliber hitters, or do we need a new batting coach? I don't know. But, this team is very close to being a monster. DeLong just has to bring our offense up to the same level as our pitching. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

2-0 isn't a bad loss at #2 OK State. But, the fact that we keep losing these types of games because we just can't generate enough offense is discouraging. Our team seems to be a few bats away from being a real contender on the national level. We need more offense. It's that simple. Sure we can run-rule the UTSA's of the world, but facing elite pitching has puzzled our girls all season. Do we need to sign higher caliber hitters, or do we need a new batting coach? I don't know. But, this team is very close to being a monster. DeLong just has to bring our offense up to the same level as our pitching. 

I believe the announcer's commented yesterday that Oklahoma State had taken a change of philosophy to be more aggressive at the plate and that had resulted in look a lot of improvement, at least for them.

13 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Softball at this level is all about having elite pitching.  
pitching > hitting 

Edited by NT80

We are still an extremely young team with only three seniors on the team in Peters, Donohoe and Falkstrom.  I think we forget this.  There are twenty players on this team and they break down by class as follows:

Seniors: 3

Juniors: 6

Soph: 5

R-Fr: 1

Fr: 5

On 3/23/2023 at 10:30 AM, NT80 said:

Softball at this level is all about having elite pitching.  
pitching > hitting 

Personally, I think we have elite pitching. And, elite pitching is the largest part of winning at the highest level. But it's not everything. Hitting is important too. Our bats are far from where we need them to be. Our pitching was good enough for us to beat both #9 Texas (4-2 Loss) and #2 OK State (2-0 Loss). We just couldn't generate enough runs. That's just the facts. 

On 3/23/2023 at 12:15 PM, UNTLifer said:

We are still an extremely young team with only three seniors on the team in Peters, Donohoe and Falkstrom.  I think we forget this.  There are twenty players on this team and they break down by class as follows:

Seniors: 3

Juniors: 6

Soph: 5

R-Fr: 1

Fr: 5

We are young, but not green. Those Juniors and Sophomores played in the title game at the Stillwater Regional last season. 

• Upvote 1