Wisconsin (3/28/23)

CMJ

Looks like they have the most active forum of any of team we've played in the NIT yet. 20 posts in their North Texas thread already, none really giving us much attention or respect yet. I did like this comment though:

This is the school Kathy Ireland was the placekicker for in the '90s, right?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buckyville/north-texas-game-t105964.html

They had 350+ posts for their Oregon game thread.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Looks like they have the most active forum of any of team we've played in the NIT yet. 20 posts in their North Texas thread already, none really giving us much attention or respect yet. I did like this comment though:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buckyville/north-texas-game-t105964.html

They had 350+ posts for their Oregon game thread.

Yes they have a pretty active fan board over there I have noticed as well.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, formerlybis said:

Hey Mean Green fans. Badger fan here - I've been to your campus like 30 years ago when I lived for a couple years in Flower Mound.

I think nothing posted here about the Badgers is blatantly wrong.

There was a comment about Jordan Davis getting a "rare" start earlier in the year, but he was in fact the starter at the 3 up until midway through the year when Essegian was inserted. Essegian is in a horrid slump - he came in as a sharpshooter and was the emerging leading scorer/primary option, but has gone ice cold the last 10 or so games. There's some chatter amongst the fans about putting Davis back in because he's the better option defensively.

Has UW played a defense as good as UNT? Looking on t-rank, it looks like Rutgers, Kansas, Purdue, and Northwestern are ranked ahead of UNT at 24, and UW is at 25. 9 of the 14 B10 teams were top 50 defenses.

Quite frankly, UW struggles mightily on offense. What worries me most is that you have an excellent 2P% defense and we are really terrible this year at that. Crowl is a 7 footer and he was excellent in the first two rounds of the NIT, but was not able to outduel the bigs of Oregon offensively, getting a lot of shots blocked and altered. Tyler Wahl also mainly scores by backing defenders down in the post, but he has been terribly inefficient at that this year, especially since his injury at the beginning of January. Gilmore is the main backup big to both of those guys and he is a huge step down offensively - he does play good defense, though. Hepburn, our PG, is also notoriously inefficient inside the arc, but when he has a size advantage - like he did against Liberty - he can go crazy.

The other thing to mention is almost every game UW plays is close. Last night was the 20th game decided by 5 points or less. In back to back games, UW took Purdue to the wire and had to sweat against bottom-feeding Minnesota. 

Ask me anything.

Welcome to the board.  Purdue fans were exceedingly nice a couple of years ago.  Big 10 hoops fans seem to be good people.  Some times "big time" program fans come on here to talk crap.  

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Welcome to the board.  Purdue fans were exceedingly nice a couple of years ago.  Big 10 hoops fans seem to be good people.  Some times "big time" program fans come on here to talk crap.  

I doubt you'll get a smack-talker posting here, but it's possible you might see some things you don't like at Buckyville. There really is no history between our programs, so no chip-on-the-shoulder should exist from our end.

It was great that you beat Purdue, which happens to be one of the rival conference schools that Wisconsin fans get along with relatively well. We do have a mutual hostility towards several others, however - not at all bothered by the B10's showing in the NCAAs. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, formerlybis said:

Hey Mean Green fans. Badger fan here - I've been to your campus like 30 years ago when I lived for a couple years in Flower Mound.

There was a comment about Jordan Davis getting a "rare" start earlier in the year, but he was in fact the starter at the 3 up until midway through the year when Essegian was inserted. Essegian is in a horrid slump - he came in as a sharpshooter and was the emerging leading scorer/primary option, but has gone ice cold the last 10 or so games. There's some chatter amongst the fans about putting Davis back in because he's the better option defensively.

Has UW played a defense as good as UNT? Looking on t-rank, it looks like Rutgers, Kansas, Purdue, and Northwestern are ranked ahead of UNT at 24, and UW is at 25. 9 of the 14 B10 teams were top 50 defenses.

Quite frankly, UW struggles mightily on offense. What worries me most is that you have an excellent 2P% defense and we are really terrible this year at that. Crowl is a 7 footer and he was excellent in the first two rounds of the NIT, but was not able to outduel the bigs of Oregon offensively, getting a lot of shots blocked and altered. Tyler Wahl also mainly scores by backing defenders down in the post, but he has been terribly inefficient at that this year, especially since his injury at the beginning of January. Gilmore is the main backup big to both of those guys and he is a huge step down offensively - he does play good defense, though. Hepburn, our PG, is also notoriously inefficient inside the arc, but when he has a size advantage - like he did against Liberty - he can go crazy.

The other thing to mention is almost every game UW plays is close. Last night was the 20th game decided by 5 points or less. In back to back games, UW took Purdue to the wire and had to sweat against bottom-feeding Minnesota. 

Ask me anything.

Thanks! Thought it a was a good touch that you underlined “quite” in your post.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, formerlybis said:

Ask me anything.

appreciate the thorough reply and excited to get a game with a storied program like UW. thanks for the correction on Davis/Essegian. I literally wrote my quick assessment after spending a half hour evaluating team stats and watching everything but the exciting part of y'alls game with Oregon (fell asleep...too much stress drinking Fernet while watching our game)

I am curious about your defense. UW's 45 total blocks as a team stood out as pretty remarkable number...as I noted, our starting center had 45 this year and he's just "fine" defensively...the national individual leader has 3 times as many as UW as a team. is the perimeter defense usually rather aggressive then...not creating a ton of lane opportunities or post entries? or is Crowl just kinda soft for a 7'0" in that regard? if we do have our starting center and can run our offense, he's going to have 8-10 post touches and they're all likely going up as shots. 

also, outside of Essegian, free throw shooting looks a bit suss. has that been a stressor for the fan base, especially considering so many close games? it definitely cost OSU last night. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Seriously though, Hepburn concerns me a bit. Looks like he an get hot from 3 shooting 39.4% on about 5 3s per game. Otherwise, I'm ok with your guys jacking up 3s. Our perimeter defense is solid minus the newfound hobby of fouling 3 point shooters. It's the interior that struggles at time. Should be a great game!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Welcome to the board. I wish nothing but the absolute worst week of practice for your program that translates to a gut wrenching defeat by our beloved Mean Green. Again, welcome. 

And again, we mean absolutely no offense to the family

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

appreciate the thorough reply and excited to get a game with a storied program like UW. thanks for the correction on Davis/Essegian. I literally wrote my quick assessment after spending a half hour evaluating team stats and watching everything but the exciting part of y'alls game with Oregon (fell asleep...too much stress drinking Fernet while watching our game)

I am curious about your defense. UW's 45 total blocks as a team stood out as pretty remarkable number...as I noted, our starting center had 45 this year and he's just "fine" defensively...the national individual leader has 3 times as many as UW as a team. is the perimeter defense usually rather aggressive then...not creating a ton of lane opportunities or post entries? or is Crowl just kinda soft for a 7'0" in that regard? if we do have our starting center and can run our offense, he's going to have 8-10 post touches and they're all likely going up as shots. 

also, outside of Essegian, free throw shooting looks a bit suss. has that been a stressor for the fan base, especially considering so many close games? it definitely cost OSU last night. 

Good questions, especially re: the blocks, and I don't have a great answer. Crowl is a little soft, to be honest, and we also need him to stay out of foul trouble because of the talent dropoff to Gilmore. I don't remember a time over the years when the defense really ever emphasized blocks. We play man to man exclusively with the philosophy of trying to make you shoot midrange (i.e. limit paint and 3s). We also try to limit you to one shot, so defensive rebounding position may be valued over blocks. We will double the post occasionally, depending on the player, so can your guy pass out of the post well? We also seem to be getting a lot of moving screen calls on the opposition lately, as our guards generally try to fight above it rather than switch. This will change from game to game though, depending on opponent.

As to FTs - oh yes, this is an issue, though it's been stellar for the 3 games in the NIT. The bigs are shaky. But, surprisingly, that hasn't been the main problem in these close games as much as who does and doesn't make a play.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Seriously though, Hepburn concerns me a bit. Looks like he an get hot from 3 shooting 39.4% on about 5 3s per game. Otherwise, I'm ok with your guys jacking up 3s. Our perimeter defense is solid minus the newfound hobby of fouling 3 point shooters. It's the interior that struggles at time. Should be a great game!

You'll want to guard Klesmit and especially Essegian behind the arc, too. As I mentioned previously, Essegian's been cold, but he has the purest stroke on the team and you don't want to get him going. Klesmit is really the 5th option amongst the starters, but he doesn't pass up shots he should take - he led the team in scoring last night. Your perimeter D is strong, though, so maybe not something to worry too much about. UW does play one post and 4-out and likes to touch the post every possession.  Teams that double the post have had a little success in creating turnovers (that's relative - UW is #1 in not turning it over which is why they're able to stay in these games despite kinda sucking at shooting). but both Crowl and Wahl are good passers for big men.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, golfingomez said:

What, umm... Do you like this team?

If you're talking UW, this was a disappointing season - we missed one NCAA in the last 20-something years and haven't played in the NIT since '96. So, not the finest vintage, but they're not hard to root for despite this year's flaws...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, formerlybis said:

Ask me anything.

Welcome glad to have you here @formerlybis

3 hours ago, formerlybis said:

Ask me anything.

Welcome! The only nice thing I can say about Wisconsin is that my wife thinks your mascot Bucky is adorable. 

In all seriousness we are glad to be playing a storied program like UW. I'm not the best at summarizing these things but I'll give it a shot. We play a slow deliberate offense, the slowest in the country, and will usually run the clock down to 0 on almost every shot. Our starting  big is most likely out for this game with a family issue, but his replacement Sissoko had a career game vs. OK State. We probably won't go down low a lot, opting more for backdoor cuts or one of our guards driving to the lane. We like to shoot the 3 with various players able to hit, but Tylor Perry is our best shooter followed by Huntsberry. Perry is known for clutch 3s in either late clock situations or crucial last minutes of play.  We play a very active and stifling defense, mostly man to man, but sometimes we switch to zone. 

We are all hoping for a good game, and a Mean Green victory 😉 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, formerlybis said:

If you're talking UW, this was a disappointing season - we missed one NCAA in the last 20-something years and haven't played in the NIT since '96. So, not the finest vintage, but they're not hard to root for despite this year's flaws...

I the, that wasn’t the question. Do you…do do do you like the Badgers?

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

You don't know how bad I wish this was still being played in NYC... I'd have my tickets booked and my hotel set up in the Upper East Side. Greatest city in the world and instead they've gotta play in Vegas

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1