Breaking: Former PWO Commit Jake Wilson Decommits

TheReal_jayD

35 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Rob, this wasn't just a walk on.  He was the top quarterback in the Dallas area.  He was an all-district and all-state performer with terrific statistics.  I'm not worried about this year...Eric and the quarterback coach should do fine but he would have been a great quarterback for the future and he's from just about twenty miles down the road.  I believe that the only reason was that there wasn't a scholarship available.  It appears that his family didn't want to have to pay a year's tuition when they thought that he had performed well enough to have earned a scholarship.  I would've felt the same way.

How could all 131 teams have missed though? It isn’t like they weren’t aware of him. 9 players in his district got fbs scholarship offers including the Southlake quarterback who is headed to Wyoming. One of the receivers on his own team even got scholarship offers to Rice and Arkansas State (signed with Rice). Why is Jake Wilson deserving of a scholarship from us despite being passed on by all 130 other fbs teams?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Why is Jake Wilson was Mason Fine deserving of a scholarship from us despite being passed on by all 130 other fbs teams?

Hindsight is 20/20. Sometimes players get overlooked. Not saying he would have been as good as Mason, but hopefully, he finds a home.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

48 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Hindsight is 20/20. Sometimes players get overlooked. Not saying he would have been as good as Mason, but hopefully, he finds a home.

We aren’t talking about a 5’10” quarterback from a small Oklahoma town of 1500 people or a quarterback from the small town of West Columbia in Texas. We are talking about a guy that made it to the 3rd round of the state playoffs at the 6A level, the state’s highest classification. A guy that plays less that 20 miles from the second busiest airport in the world. He isn’t some hidden gem, he led the state in passing yards and touchdowns. At least one team in every conference has seen his film, why would they all say no? Mason was too small but still had PWO offers from the P5, Cam Ward was unknown until Morris found him, this guy is 6’2” and highly visible so what do the coaches across the nation see wrong with him that all the fans don’t?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

21 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Rob, this wasn't just a walk on.  He was the top quarterback in the Dallas area.  He was an all-district and all-state performer with terrific statistics.  I'm not worried about this year...Eric and the quarterback coach should do fine but he would have been a great quarterback for the future and he's from just about twenty miles down the road.  I believe that the only reason was that there wasn't a scholarship available.  It appears that his family didn't want to have to pay a year's tuition when they thought that he had performed well enough to have earned a scholarship somewhere.  I would've felt the same way.

If he was worth it there would of been plenty of NIL money to keep him.

• Upvote 1

I think the INTs he threw his junior season scared off some of the FBS schools. He put up great numbers his Senior year. The transfer portal has also hurt a lot of high school kids. QBs move every year and this has impacted the number of spots available for high school players. We have a crowded QB room at the moment. Maybe a JUCO or FCS school made him an offer that he couldn't refuse?

2022 Stats: 4143 yards, 47 TDs, 4 INT and rushed for 407 yards with 8 TDs

2021 Stats: 3884 yards, 38 TDs, 19 INT and rushed for 219 yards with 5 TDs

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2023 at 9:48 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

He could easily end up here in a year or two in the transfer portal world.

I wish; but I don't think so.  Whoever gets him will give him playing time so that he doesn't think too hard about the transfer portal.  I wish that we could come up with a scholarship and some NIL money before fall enrollment.  I believe that he really wanted to come here or he wouldn't have accepted the PWO.

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2023 at 10:41 AM, GrayEagle said:

Rob, this wasn't just a walk on.  He was the top quarterback in the Dallas area.  He was an all-district and all-state performer with terrific statistics.  I'm not worried about this year...Eric and the quarterback coach should do fine but he would have been a great quarterback for the future and he's from just about twenty miles down the road.  I believe that the only reason was that there wasn't a scholarship available.  It appears that his family didn't want to have to pay a year's tuition when they thought that he had performed well enough to have earned a scholarship somewhere.  I would've felt the same way.

And apparently he'll need to get in the imbecile line behind EVERY SINGLE other D1 coach, because none of them saw this undeniable potential that our message board does.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 3