Breaking: Former PWO Commit Jake Wilson Decommits

TheReal_jayD

4 hours ago, NT93 said:

Walk-on decommitting seems like an oxymoron.

Best of luck to him and I hope he succeeds, but this should not be a worry for UNT.

It's not that we don't have good quarterbacks but I believe that this one was special.  Just my opinion, but I believe that he would've been a three-year starter here.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Graddean said:

His high school record and lack of offers reminded me of Mason.

I'm not so sure. Mason suffered from a lack of traditional D1 size, lack of playing against top tier competition, and lack of exposure.  Wilson is physically bigger than Mason and played at a large Texas high school that had success. Mason had none of that going for him.

Edited by CarmanSandiego
Update
  • Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

For what it's worth, the Georgia Bulldogs did okay the last couple years with their walk-on quarterback.

14 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Exception, not the rule…but you are correct.

Baker Mayfield, J.J. Watt, etc., etc.  Yes, they are the exceptions.  But man, this guy had all the markings of an exception as well.  And considering none of the QBs left over from last year was able to stand out as a starter or even a clear backup, his road was paved to being at least the #1 backup and heir apparent.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Baker Mayfield, J.J. Watt, etc., etc.  Yes, they are the exceptions.  But man, this guy had all the markings of an exception as well.  And considering none of the QBs left over from last year was able to stand out as a starter or even a clear backup, his road was paved to being at least the #1 backup and heir apparent.

Baker had a few offers at the time (FAU, Rice, and New Mexico). However, he bet on himself and went to Texas Tech, before transferring to OU.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

3 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Baker had a few offers at the time (FAU, Rice, and New Mexico). However, he bet on himself and went to Texas Tech, before transferring to OU.

JJ Watt had a scholarship and was a starting tight end at Central Michigan. Neither he, nor Baker, nor Stetson Bennett (who had to transfer and play Juco before Georgia offered him a scholarship to return) are anything close to the situation here. Jordy Nelson (who had no D1 offers) would be a comparable situation. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Greenrex said:

For what it's worth, the Georgia Bulldogs did okay the last couple years with their walk-on quarterback.

7 hours ago, NT93 said:

Exception, not the rule…but you are correct.

Stetson Bennett has not been a walk on since transferring to Jones County Junior College in  2018. Not only that, he had an offer from the MUTS out of high school.

23 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

And considering none of the QBs left over from last year was able to stand out as a starter or even a clear backup, his road was paved to being at least the #1 backup and heir apparent.

How would we have any clue what those retained quarterbacks would’ve done under Eric Morris? If Wilson was scholarship-worthy at a position of need, Morris would’ve given him a scholarship. He is either, not seen as playing a position of need, or not good enough to merit a scholarship. And before you get all, “he has these stats and accolades and deserves…..”, 130 other FBS programs also chose not to offer him a scholarship despite his playing in one of the most visible districts in all of Texas High School football.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

JJ Watt had a scholarship and was a starting tight end at Central Michigan. 

And he was a walk-on at Wisconsin.  Regardless, you're missing the point altogether.  Use Matt McGloin for an example, if you prefer, because the examples are not the point.  The 2 points I'm personally making:

1.  He's good enough to be a scholarship player, even if no one has offered him.

2.  Based on what we know (and don't know) about our QB room, working his way into the backup role would not be completely out of the question.

Whatever.  He's moved on, and I'm moving on.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 3/21/2023 at 5:08 PM, meanrob said:

Not worried. If Morris can’t make ANY of the QBs we have work we got bigger issues than losing a walk on. 

Rob, this wasn't just a walk on.  He was the top quarterback in the Dallas area.  He was an all-district and all-state performer with terrific statistics.  I'm not worried about this year...Eric and the quarterback coach should do fine but he would have been a great quarterback for the future and he's from just about twenty miles down the road.  I believe that the only reason was that there wasn't a scholarship available.  It appears that his family didn't want to have to pay a year's tuition when they thought that he had performed well enough to have earned a scholarship somewhere.  I would've felt the same way.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Wow.   Some of y'all saying he would've been a guy that played a lot here ("special", "3 year starter", Comps to Mason Fine & Stetson Bennett)... 
If Eric Morris, who is supposedly a QB guru (Pat Mahomes y'all!!!1!1!!1!!!) allows a guy like that to just walk away, then he's an imbicile, and we made the wrong hire.

So which is it?   I guess we have to wait a few years to see what Mr. Wilson does.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1