Breaking News: Jalie Mitchell out as North Texas Coach

Same, it's tough when you have to let go of the best player in school history but that is the chance you take when you make that hire in the first place. It's pretty clear that even though she has brought some stability and more talent to the program, the on-the-court results have been lacking. Moving into a new conference, this was probably the correct time. Plus I think her contract expired and is just not being picked up (though i could be wrong on that)

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

It would shock me.  I know that they like each other but it didn't work in Austin,

why would it work in San Antonio?

Their last season together they made it to the sweet 16 before running into the buzzsaw that was UConn. I wouldn’t say it didn’t work. They did a great job improving the program that Gail Goestenkors left behind. If it hadn’t been working several around here would’ve been more against Jalie’s hire.

• Upvote 2

It was the right decision, overdue if anything.  

Jalie is a top notch person, was the best NT woman basketball player in history, it seems a good recruiter, but at some point you have to do more than just coach .500 ball. 

To me, her teams seldom played above their talent level and often far below that level.  I still remember a recent game with only seconds to go in the game and NT with a one point lead; NT goes down and quickly shoots and loses contest.  I am sure that was not her direction, but she just produced a very undisciplined team. 

She could be and should be a great assistant coach.  I really think she is better suited to that role. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Nothing but best wishes for Coach Mitchell, but at least the athletic department is no longer happy with mediocre.

Now the Mavs need to see what we did and pull the plug on Jason Kidd.

Oh yes…. Pull the plug on a coach after less than two years the year after he took them to the western conference finals and has them in the playoffs with potentially getting home court advantage…. Your one of those geniuses in the Mavs I like groups who thinks you know so much because you touched a ball at the YMCA huh….

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Oh yes…. Pull the plug on a coach after less than two years the year after he took them to the western conference finals and has them in the playoffs with potentially getting home court advantage…. Your one of those geniuses in the Mavs I like groups who thinks you know so much because you touched a ball at the YMCA huh….

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Now the Mavs need to see what we did and pull the plug on Jason Kidd.

Please stop and keep this thread focused on UNT!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Always loved her hiring so this is really bittersweet.  She never gave off the impression that she would leave when she found success.  Hate that success was not found at UNT.  

Wish only good things for her.  

Edited by GMG93
  • Upvote 6

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

This isn't the MFFL message board.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

Good stuff. Now tell Grant to coach the offense better again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

Season 1 Episode 1 Nbc GIF by Bluff City Law

• Upvote 1