Breaking: Seth Littrell Lands at OU

TheReal_jayD

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Heck no.   The fans were the ones who were most vocal about running him off (myself included).  He doesn't owe us anything.

Every college football coach takes the job knowing they're going to be fired someday if they don't win enough.

I think that after being fired, all of them should make a public statement expressing gratitude for the support they got from fans and the community in the years they were there. And they should thank their coaches and players.

It's not the end of the world when they go out bitter or say nothing at all, but if you can't find good things to say about a job that put millions in your bank account and made you big man on campus at a proud public university, you might need to regain some perspective.

Almost every coach who ever got fired here kept on coaching elsewhere, so it must be a pretty sweet gig.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rcade said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160202234646/http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/10/dan-mccarneys-letter-to-unt-fans.html/

Dan McCarney's Farewell Letter to UNT Fans

Dear Mean Green fans,

Thank you for your incredible support throughout my time at North Texas.

Someone once said, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

Margy and I will smile a lot because each of you enriched our lives. Please continue to support our football team with your energy and passion Thursday night.

Thank you for the countless, everlasting memories.

Sincerely,

Dan McCarney

You never cease to amaze me Rogers.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't think fans are owed much. I think it is so trivial to do that -- if I let myself think about it -- makes me annoyed. Like, he could have called up his agent and had him ghost write up something. Then put it out. It's bad PR not to. Like, he would look like a guy who knew how to handle public relations. 

By not doing it, he continues the little narrative that he is a bad public speaker, and wouldn't do well in a place that requires a lot of media duties. Again, not necessary, but silly on his part. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2023 at 12:15 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

Gumms leaving days after Seth finds a landing spot isn’t nothing. 

On 3/23/2023 at 1:51 PM, cousin oliver said:

Yes he will be wearing Crimson and Cream soon.

It is nothing. OU is not involved. Gumms has had one foot in the transfer portal since the day he arrived on campus. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

On 3/23/2023 at 10:36 AM, aztecskin said:

I mostly didn't care but with every passing day I get a little more annoyed that he didn't. 

I couldn't care less about a farewell statement from Seth.  I think he is decent guy but in every other aspect, just another coach.  From a pure X's & O's standpoint I think Phil Bennet is a better coach.  That isn't high praise either.  I wasn't excited when he came as his hype train was more hear say from his network of coaching friends than I could see documented as outstanding contribution to a team's offensive success.  I think him not landing an title above "advisor" is indicative of the lack of substance in his resume coming here.  There were several high profile OC openings this year and he did not get one.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

• 7 months later...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38987120/mississippi-state-hires-jeff-lebby-next-coach

I think OU's next OC is already there.  
It would be a very good fit, as Littrell already has 3+ years of understanding Briles' Veer&Shoot offense, so there would not be a lot of change if he were to step in.  He's proven to be a very good OC.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There's no way he would take that job.  He's had plenty of time to see that program up-close to know better.   It'd be a home run hire for UTEP though.  .500 football and continuous bowl eligibility would be huge for them.

Haha, I remember not so long ago when folks thought the same about our program. #hit6

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There's no way he would take that job.  He's had plenty of time to see that program up-close to know better.   It'd be a home run hire for UTEP though.  .500 football and continuous bowl eligibility would be huge for them.

How much is he making as an analyst? Bet he's waiting out a P5 OC gig.