Softball versus UTSA - Weekend Series

Tied at one after two innings. They come in 200 places lower than us in the RPI. Wagoner seems off tonight. No way around it other than saying our hitting, or lack of it, is a problem. We continue to make very average pitchers look good. Hopefully, we will get it going. 

** I Cannot understand why this team will not wear Green as the primary color. Maybe we should actually let a school that wants to wear green be called the Mean Green

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

The girls still aren't hitting on all cylinders. There is too much uncertainty and hesitation at the plate and some really questionable swings that are not the norm for our usually disciplined hitting team. I'm not sure why this is a problem, bit ot is. DeLong knows his team. I trust he will get it figured out. 

Too bad there aren't more softball fans on this board. If we had more, we could do an adoption thread like we do for football. 

• Upvote 7

I don’t get why he started the freshman third baseman, Sparks, over Donohoe earlier this year when the freshman was clearly struggling at the plate. He also replaced Ingle in LF with the transfer Nicholson when I thought Ingle played really well out there last year. 
I don’t really question DeLong due to his success but those two moves surprised me. 
The errors and the lack of discipline at the plate are the reflection of a team that is pressing. They just need to relax and play. 

Honestly, they need a dominating win to regain their confidence. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I don’t get why he started the freshman third baseman, Sparks, over Donohoe earlier this year when the freshman was clearly struggling at the plate. He also replaced Ingle in LF with the transfer Nicholson when I thought Ingle played really well out there last year. 
I don’t really question DeLong due to his success but those two moves surprised me. 
The errors and the lack of discipline at the plate are the reflection of a team that is pressing. They just need to relax and play. 

Honestly, they need a dominating win to regain their confidence. 

I'm all for getting the young players some experience and confidence, but maybe throwing them to the wolves isn't the best way... especially with our OOC schedule. Personally, I think Nicholson is doing an outstanding job so far. As for Sydney Ingle... she is no longer showing on our roster. I wondered why she wasn't starting too. After seeing her absence from our roster, it kind of made sense. Don't know why she's gone, I thought she was a solid player. Epperson is also a young freshman that is impressing me. She had an off night, but I think she will be a really great player for us over the next several seasons. 

• Upvote 2

Ingle, if off the roster, was just recently removed. She was on there earlier this season. 

We are currently up 15-3 in game two of the series. Weirdest box score ever. 15 runs on 5 hits. UTSA pitchers have walked twelve batters. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

Caught a little of the game. Not sure I have ever seen a team average 3 runs for each hit

Side note - The announcers were joking yesterday about where else would you want to be on Saint Patrick's day except for the home of the Mean Green. After the second time one of the announcers commented even though we were wearing black. Still not sure why they always seem to be wearing black. Another team wasting the Mean Green messaging opportunity. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Ingle, if off the roster, was just recently removed. She was released on there earlier this season. 

We are currently up 15-3 in game two of the series. Weirdest box score ever. 15 runs on 5 hits. UTSA pitchers have walked twelve batters. 

Ingle's name appeared in the box score, but not as an active player. She does not appear in on the official roster at the Mean Green Sports website. Weird. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Caught a little of the game. Not sure I have ever seen a team average 3 runs for each hit

Side note - The announcers were joking yesterday about where else would you want to be on Saint Patrick's day except for the home of the Mean Green. After the second time one of the announcers commented even though we were wearing black. Still not sure why they always seem to be wearing black. Another team wasting the Mean Green messaging opportunity. 

I watched the whole game today. The team looked much more relaxed at the plate. Very disciplined, and it paid off with tons of walks and a big run-rule score. 

I liked how the pitch speed had been displayed behind the backstop. But, I was glad to see it moved into the scoreboard on the screen. UNT video production has really improved over the last year or so.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I liked how the pitch speed had been displayed behind the backstop. But, I was glad to see it moved into the scoreboard on the screen. UNT video production has really improved over the last year or so.

I agree but found it interesting that the speed shown on the screen was usually about 5mph slower. I wonder which is accurate?  I would think the clock in the field. 

Yes, much different than yesterday. The Green weren't going to wait to be walked a dozen times with the way they were swinging the bats today. Homers by Cierra Simon, who had a grand salami yesterday, and a walk-off three-run shut by Donahoe. Kalei went 4-4 and is hitting over .375 on the season.

I went to the game today and noticed Gamble is from OKC. She didn't hit a home run this series, but I hope we can keep someone like OU from snatching our power hitter like they did Hope a few seasons ago.

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2023 at 9:54 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Too bad there aren't more softball fans on this board. If we had more, we could do an adoption thread like we do for football. 

Asking for a separate softball subforum is probably asking too much, but even having an official thread for every series like football and basketball can at least raise awareness. The women's basketball team can't even get a thread for every game. Heck, there's probably already been more posts about softball halfway through the season than women's basketball got all year.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Asking for a separate softball subforum is probably asking too much, but even having an official thread for every series like football and basketball can at least raise awareness. The women's basketball team can't even get a thread for every game. Heck, there's probably already been more posts about softball halfway through the season than women's basketball got all year.

If we have teams that are competitive people will follow and comment.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

14 hits and 0 errors today. Every player that went to the plate got on base a least once by either getting a hit or drawing a walk. Outstanding. Hope they take this same approach to Stillwater on Wednesday. 

OSU (25-2) is ranking second in the nation, even better than Arkansas. This was a good confidence-building series against a the CUSA bottomdweller, but it's going to take a complete effort. One advantage we might have is famaliarity, since we played them twice last year (and were only outscored 6-2).

22 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I love softball. It's among my favorite sports. Right there with football and basketball. I doubt softball will get it's own forum, but I'll keep commenting. I want our girls to know that their sport is important, and hopefully others will join us in the fun.

When DeLong is selling our program to recruits, I want them to know that UNT has fans that will support them. El Paso Eagle does a great job of posting thread about our series. I enjoy commenting on our games and share his enthusiasm. I don't live in the Denton area anymore, so I can't get to the games as often as I once did.  But, the wife and I will be heading down on April 15th to watch the girls play Charlotte. That should be a good series.

I'd be willing to adopt a player or two, post their stats, and give them praise as the season goes on. But, at least 5 or 6 others would need to be involved to make it work. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1