Jump to content

Why are we playing Wyoming?


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They won't push us around like OU, but they will push us around. Believe that. Why schedule a peer that has that ability? Wyoming pushed around Texas Tech last year. Wyoming surprises teams that aren't used to their style or prepared for it. 

That's true, we wouldn't want the players to be challenged or anything like that. It might turn into a football game even.

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

That's true, we wouldn't want the players to be challenged or anything like that. It might turn into a football game even.

Ooooook. It's as if every game on the schedule isn't going to be a challenge. But hey, let's send our boys a thousand miles away up in elevation to get rolled up. Genius idea. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Maybe that's a good thing.   I've thought for several years now (ever since that 2013 team) that we need to stop running out of the tunnel with the announcer yelling "Here's comes, the Mean Green..." only to be followed by "Tee it high, let it fly, and watch the other team run by."  

Say what you will about the Dickey days, but you won't say those teams were "pushed around."   Even in losses, I felt like we hit somebody.   

Perhaps Wyoming will punch us in the mouth and we'll respond. 

Bold: I will never discredit tough teams. Especially tough teams that win. That will rock fight you. 

 

I have no inclination at all to believe that our defense will step up to this physical challenge. There's no evidence to suggest it. If anything, evidence suggests that Wyoming might push over 40 in TOP. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Ooooook. It's as if every game on the schedule isn't going to be a challenge. But hey, let's send our boys a thousand miles away up in elevation to get rolled up. Genius idea. 

We should schedule hard, that's how you get better and gain national respect. It let's you know what a coach is worth and if he can step out of conference and compete. We are a poor program right now, keep your head down, work hard, take challenges, get better. That's what we need to do.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Wyoming is consistently a solid team, good fan support, respected. More like we should strive for UNT to be more like Wyoming.

Im just saying there shouldn’t be a single G5 team that we can’t compete with.  It’s embarrassing to suggest or expect otherwise.

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

We should schedule hard, that's how you get better and gain national respect. It let's you know what a coach is worth and if he can step out of conference and compete. We are a poor program right now, keep your head down, work hard, take challenges, get better. That's what we need to do.

Our football program has no business in scheduling difficult opponents in difficult locales. A program learning to win comes first and foremost. Then you schedule better. Getting your head bounced off the turf doesn't make you better. 

But hey, I've never always been right. Maybe we jump up on them early with our offense and that puts their offense in a difficult position. That's the only hope. Otherwise, whew. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NT93 said:

Im just saying there shouldn’t be a single G5 team that we can’t compete with.  It’s embarrassing to suggest or expect otherwise.

Ah gotcha, apologies for reading that wrong. Agreed. This thread is just baffling, I can only hope it's a small minority that feels like the title.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Our football program has no business in scheduling difficult opponents in difficult locales. A program learning to win comes first and foremost. Then you schedule better. Getting your head bounced off the turf doesn't make you better. 

But hey, I've never always been right. Maybe we jump up on them early with our offense and that puts their offense in a difficult position. That's the only hope. Otherwise, whew. 

Completely disagree with that approach. "Getting your head bounced off the turf" tells you that you were either unprepared and that game is an outlier, that you went up against a championship caliber team, or that your coach/players aren't good enough to compete. Getting your ass kicked tells me more about a team than beating up FCSs.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

Completely disagree with that approach. "Getting your head bounced off the turf" tells you that you were either unprepared and that game is an outlier, that you went up against a championship caliber team, or that your coach/players aren't good enough to compete. Getting your ass kicked tells me more about a team than beating up FCSs.

Alright. We have differing opinions. And that's fine. 

Hopefully our defense has taken gigantic strides. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Alright. We have differing opinions. And that's fine. 

Hopefully our defense has taken gigantic strides. 

Agreed.

I don't have a lot of faith with this DC, but I hope Morris made the right call. If we have another bad season with defense he's going to be on thin ice.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Why schedule a peer that has that ability? Wyoming pushed around Texas Tech last year. Wyoming surprises teams that aren't used to their style or prepared for it. 

This game has been scheduled for a few years.  Coaches change, players and teams change.  You can’t plan your schedule based on when is the correct time to play someone or not.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This game has been scheduled for a few years.  Coaches change, players and teams change.  You can’t plan your schedule based on when is the correct time to play someone or not.  

Oh? Go see when these games were scheduled and then look at the state of both programs. Hint: no change. I do anticipate schedule formatting to change with the [transfer portal] times. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Oh? Go see when these games were scheduled and then look at the state of both programs. Hint: no change. I do anticipate schedule formatting to change with the [transfer portal] times. 

 

Our team has changed by 50% in the past 6 months.   It will change more before the season starts.   So will they. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at the last few years, they are roughly a .500 team and middle of the pack MWC. Yes, they opened beating TX Tech last year,  it were pretty up and down over the season and Tech weren’t world beaters. I expect us to win. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Are we seriously still discussing this? Wyoming has held more success than UNT has had throughout the past decade so if anything, Wyoming is an excellent opponent to play. I am struggling to understand the argument against playing them

No, no one was asking why we were playing Wyoming again. I just brought this thread up instead of creating a new one to share notes from the caravan. That the AD will be pushing to sell the stadium out for the first time against the Cowboys.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Maybe that's a good thing.   I've thought for several years now (ever since that 2013 team) that we need to stop running out of the tunnel with the announcer yelling "Here's comes, the Mean Green..." only to be followed by "Tee it high, let it fly, and watch the other team run by."  

Say what you will about the Dickey days, but you won't say those teams were "pushed around."   Even in losses, I felt like we hit somebody.   

Perhaps Wyoming will punch us in the mouth and we'll respond. 

Dickey did a great job of playing physical football. So did DMac. The problem for both of them was that their offenses were really, really boring and usually got us nowhere against a decent team. But our defenses would hit you hard, until they were spent. What got to be problematic for both Dickey and McCarney was finding talent to run their offensive game plan that TX HS football coaching had dropped for running the spread. And when neither could get even decent QBs, the losing just piled up. But it’s been the exact opposite with Dodge, Seth, or Morris, where a hard hitting defense never came close to materializing. I will still say that the two best UNT teams I’ve seen here since 1990 were the 2003 and 2013 teams, both of whom won 9 games, while pounding you physically, and having a QB who was smart and made solid throws when necessary.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2024 at 1:50 AM, Green Otaku said:

Agreed.

I don't have a lot of faith with this DC, but I hope Morris made the right call. If we have another bad season with defense he's going to be on thin ice.

Morris won’t be the coach here in 2026. If he fails he will be gone by then (most likely scenario). If he is successful, he will take the first “bigger” job offered. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 53

      Uniforms

    2. 0

      Channel 8 WFAA Segment

    3. 27

      Pernetti Interview

    4. 0

      Latest on OSU/WSU vs MWC

    5. 34

      Money...Money...MONEY!

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      15,401
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    NTWL20
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.