Why are we playing Wyoming?

On 3/17/2023 at 5:58 PM, Green Otaku said:

No those two aren't equal. Playing an FCS at home does nothing for us, no one knows those teams or their reputation.  Wyoming isn't a marquee team that everyone will know, but it's better than TSU or ACU any year. 

I just disagree a road game in Wyoming does nothing for you also, especially if they are in a mediocre or bad stretch which is typical for them.  People in my circle not invested in Mean Green football but are casual football fans are far more likely to come to a home game vs a FCS team they are familiar with than watch us play in Wyoming (Utah State, or Nevada) on ESPN 3 at 9:00 pm Saturday.  Most fans are causal and that is where the growth potential is.  So neither situation is ideal but from a revenue standpoint having a 7th home game is beneficial.   SMU stopped playing Nevada 20 years ago.   The last time they played Wyoming was 1998.   Houston has never played Nevada and the last time they played Wyoming was 1988.  We are supposed to be catching up with programs like SMU & Houston but we are scheduling OOC games like we catching up to being 20 years behind them.  🤷🏽‍♂️Having FBS* by your school name means very little.  I wager that good percentage of fans and students that go to our games don’t know the difference and when Wyoming shows up in front of them in Apogee you could tell them they are FCS and they would believe you.  I remember when Idaho was FBS but now they aren’t and similarly you could tell that same fan Idaho is FBS and they would believe that as well.

For a knowledgeable ready to buy in fanbase; sure any FBS game is better.  We don’t have that here so more home games are better.  Now if return game for that game in Wyoming gets a season of all out of conference FBS opponents at home great.  But I doubt that happens.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Do you realize that the University of Texas played Wyoming AT  Laramie?  I'm not sure why they would do that unless it was to show them that any member of the same classification is not necessarily too high and mighty to play any other member.  It could have been that Wyoming needed the sellout crowd to pay for stadium improvements.  Whatever the reason these games will have benefits to both teams. 

Yellowstone is one of the most beautiful spots on planet Earth and I hope that I can visit there before my life ends.  Maybe this game will give me the opportunity to do so.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I just disagree a road game in Wyoming does nothing for you also, especially if they are in a mediocre or bad stretch which is typical for them.  People in my circle not invested in Mean Green football but are casual football fans are far more likely to come to a home game vs a FCS team they are familiar with than watch us play in Wyoming (Utah State, or Nevada) on ESPN 3 at 9:00 pm Saturday.  Most fans are causal and that is where the growth potential is.  So neither situation is ideal but from a revenue standpoint having a 7th home game is beneficial.   SMU stopped playing Nevada 20 years ago.   The last time they played Wyoming was 1998.   Houston has never played Nevada and the last time they played Wyoming was 1988.  We are supposed to be catching up with them but we are OOC scheduling like we catching up to being 20 years behind them.  🤷🏽‍♂️Having FBS* by your school name means very little.  I wager that good percentage of fans and students that go to our games don’t know they difference and when Wyoming shows up in front of them in Apogee you could tell them they are FCS and they would believe you.  I remember when Idaho was FBS but now they aren’t and similarly you could tell that same fan Idaho is FBS and they would believe that as well.

For a knowledgeable ready to buy in fanbase; sure at FBS game is better.  We don’t have that here so more home games are better.  Now if return game for that game in Wyoming  gets a season of all FBS opponents at home great.  But I doubt that happens.

So you'd rather get some extra revenue to the detriment of the team's development? The team learns nothing from these games, the fans don't show up, and it makes our schedule weaker. Wyoming is at least from a respected conference and it should be the type of teams we play to continue to raise our profile. 

Here's the teams that have recently gone to Wyoming: Nebraska, Oregon, Washington State, Missouri, Tulsa. 

Future home opponents: Texas Tech, BYU, Utah, Arizona. 

When have we ever had anyone of that calibre come to Apogee? But we are too good to play Wyoming? 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 2:12 PM, meangreenfaninno said:

I disagree, we could be playing Texas State instead and it would be a simple bus ride. 

That's the point here. If it's not a "simple bus ride", some fans don't see any value in the game. Unfortunately to some, a road game that is a simple drive away is more important than anything else. That's the mindset we still have to break here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 3/18/2023 at 10:38 PM, GrayEagle said:

Do you realize that the University of Texas played Wyoming AT  Laramie?  I'm not sure why they would do that unless it was to show them that any member of the same classification is not necessarily too high and mighty to play any other member.  It could have been that Wyoming needed the sellout crowd to pay for stadium improvements.  Whatever the reason these games will have benefits to both teams. 

Yellowstone is one of the most beautiful spots on planet Earth and I hope that I can visit there before my life ends.  Maybe this game will give me the opportunity to do so.  

Yellowstone is awesome 

• Upvote 2

When I was in school in 68,69,70 we played  Wyoming at home and had a great crowd,

and we won. We also played San Diego State, and Houston. I watch games on Friday and Sat night during football season and Wyoming has a lot of games on the T V. We also played Colorado State and I believe we played B YU, but that game was in the 1970's and it was at the Cotton Bowl.  We might luck out and have the game on T V.

Big D

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Big D said:

When I was in school in 68,69,70 we played  Wyoming at home and had a great crowd,

and we won. We also played San Diego State, and Houston. I watch games on Friday and Sat night during football season and Wyoming has a lot of games on the T V. We also played Colorado State and I believe we played B YU, but that game was in the 1970's and it was at the Cotton Bowl.  We might luck out and have the game on T V.

The BYU game was scheduled to open our season and open Texas Stadium on Sep 10, 1971.  But construction delays forced us to move that game to the Cotton Bowl instead.  The next week we played at Weber State...yes in Utah!

We finally opened Texas Stadium on October 16, 1971 with a win against Louisville!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Big D said:

Big D

??

In the years 68, 69 & 70 we did not play Wyoming. The only three schools that we played in those years whose name starts with a "W" is Weber St., West Texas State, and Wichita state. We  played Wichita St. all three of those years but, only once at home, in 1969. It was probably well attended because it was a homecoming game.  In the 60's all of the homecoming games were either against Cincinnati or Wichita St.

Wichita St. and Wyoming have similar school colors. Wyoming's is brown and gold, and Wichita St's is black and gold.

I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but I don't think we have ever played Wyoming in Football.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

??

In the years 68, 69 & 70 we did not play Wyoming. The only three schools that we played in those years whose name starts with a "W" is Weber St., West Texas State, and Wichita state. We  played Wichita St. all three of those years but, only once at home, in 1969. It was probably well attended because it was a homecoming game.  In the 60's all of the homecoming games were either against Cincinnati or Wichita St.

Wichita St. and Wyoming have similar school colors. Wyoming's is brown and gold, and Wichita St's is black and gold.

I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but I don't think we have ever played Wyoming in Football.

You are correct. According to Winsipedia, we have never played Wyoming. 

Edited by YNWA2017
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

This is correct. Both schools' press releases announcing the series with Wyoming even say as much.

Wyoming and North Texas have never played one another in the two schools' football histories.

These scheduled meetings will be the first for the Mean Green against both Cal and Wyoming.