Why are we playing Wyoming?

Just a real head-scratcher to me as we go there in 2026 and they supposedly come here in 27.  We have absolutely nothing to gain from this as it is a terrible travel game for our kids (bad for academics) and on the far west coast so no one will watch or listen and the fans can't afford to travel there.  Wyoming has everything to gain as they want desperately to recruit in Texas since they have literally no players in their state.   We are trying to distance from the Mountain West not give them freebies.  It seems like our scheduling is really needing improvement and we need to quit making boneheaded deals.   2 for 1 maybe at best on this team.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 18
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Just a real head-scratcher to me as we go there in 2026 and they supposedly come here in 27.  We have absolutely nothing to gain from this as it is a terrible travel game for our kids (bad for academics) and on the far west coast so no one will watch or listen and the fans can't afford to travel there.  Wyoming has everything to gain as they want desperately to recruit in Texas since they have literally no players in their state.   We are trying to distance from the Mountain West not give them freebies.  It seems like our scheduling is really needing improvement and we need to quit making boneheaded deals.   2 for 1 maybe at best on this team.

All of your points are valid. That is not good scheduling. And they usually play a tough brand of football and seeing that we're growing our air raid coaching with the EM hire it probably won't bode well for us up there. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 9

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I'd much rather be playing Wyoming or any MWC opponent than another lame FCS team.   It makes our program better.

The FCS game would be an extra home game.  🤷🏽‍♂️.  And there are few nearby FCS programs I would welcome an extra home game with than Wyoming, Nevada, or Utah State on the road.  Sam Houston and SFA would probably bring their bands also.  I would even prefer a “body bag” game versus the top teams in P5.  In these transfer portal climate it gives you an opportunity to get a peek at bench guys that may end up in the portal.  I would much rather get a guy who couldn’t cut it at Georgia or a guy wanting to elevate from SFA than a disgruntled starter or bench player from Wyoming.  

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

7 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

So we set our schedule based on the bus ride?? Play as many MWC schools as possible!

If they are not expected to be good when we play them exactly what does accomplish?   Great if we get 2 games vs MWC at Apogee versus going to Wyoming, Reno Nevada, or Logan Utah.   But beating those teams don't bring more attention than normal to your program unless they are ranked.   Colorado State, Boise State, nd Fresno State maybe a little attention.   San Diego State and UNLV are great destination games for Mean Green fans who can travel.   And it always good to play a national brand like Air Force.   The same reasons many favor our membership in AAC over the MWC are the same reasons that scheduling' any MWC we can get' as a net positive seem short sighted to me.   And there' many G5s I would want to schedule instead of Wyoming.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

If they are not expected to be good when we play them exactly what does accomplish?   Great if we get 2 games vs MWC at Apogee versus going to Wyoming, Reno Nevada, or Logan Utah.   But beating those teams don't bring more attention than normal to your program unless they are ranked.   Colorado State, Boise State, nd Fresno State maybe a little attention.   San Diego State and UNLV are great destination games for Mean Green fans who can travel.   And it always good to play a national brand like Air Force.   The same reasons many favor our membership in AAC over the MWC are the same reasons that scheduling' any MWC we can get' as a net positive seem short sighted to me.   And there' many G5s I would want to schedule instead of Wyoming.  

Beating SFA, Northwestern State, Abilene Christian, et al does nothing for us.  But if we lose to one of these Portland State's...  heads will roll!

• Upvote 5

52 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Beating SFA, Northwestern State, Abilene Christian, et al does nothing for us.  But if we lose to one of these Portland State's...  heads will roll!

As they should.  In hindsight does anyone think if that Mac team squeaked out a victory against Portland State that regime would have rebounded with the program?   Scheduling shouldn’t include “worse case scenario” thinking.  It is a show for the home fans.  Scheduling the teams I mentioned gives students an opportunity to connect with high school friends that went to SFA or Sam Houston State.  I hope the few Mean Green fans that make the trip to Wyoming have a great time.  But I will always lean towards a home game against a former FCS conference mate in our state over away games in isolated locations like Reno, Laramie, and Logan, Utah.  If Wyoming is bad and we are not  stellar ourselves we will have to search for the game on a stream.  I think you have student engagement in your scheduling strategy.  There is a generation of alumni you will never get excited except when you play G5 and P5 programs they respect.  Wyoming isn’t one of those brands. You guarantee the game is ESPN2, or ESPNU I am all in versus having one of the FCS teams in Denton.    Otherwise give me a 3-7 pm kickoff in Apogee stadium with some Rudy’s or Metzler’s BBQ.  

• Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I disagree, we could be playing Texas State instead and it would be a simple bus ride. 

in 1974, sure. In 2026, nah. 

I don't mind the occasional Wyoming. I mean its beautiful country. Plan a trip out there, see all the rich people with ranches, and sit in the crisp open air and then come home to Texas. I don't see the problem whatsoever. 

• Upvote 6

55 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

As they should.  In hindsight does anyone think if that Mac team squeaked out a victory against Portland State that regime would have rebounded with the program?   Scheduling shouldn’t include “worse case scenario” thinking.  It is a show for the home fans.  Scheduling the teams I mentioned gives students an opportunity to connect with high school friends that went to SFA or Sam Houston State.  I hope the few Mean Green fans that make the trip to Wyoming have a great time.  But I will always lean towards a home game against a former FCS conference mate in our state over away games in isolated locations like Reno, Laramie, and Logan, Utah.  If Wyoming is bad and we are not  stellar ourselves we will have to search for the game on a stream.  I think you have student engagement in your scheduling strategy.  There is a generation of alumni you will never get excited except when you play G5 and P5 programs they respect.  Wyoming isn’t one of those brands. You guarantee the game is ESPN2, or ESPNU I am all in versus having one of the FCS teams in Denton.    Otherwise give me a 3-7 pm kickoff in Apogee stadium with some Rudy’s or Metzler’s BBQ.  

Sorry, but playing SFA and Sam Houston isn't moving the needle.   You may not like them, but Wyoming and Nevada are more National brands that our former Southland mates.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Sorry, but playing SFA and Sam Houston isn't moving the needle.   You may not like them, but Wyoming and Nevada are more National brands that our former Southland mates.

Plus, this allows us to open the player pipeline through Wyoming!   😆

• Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

7 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I disagree, we could be playing Texas State instead and it would be a simple bus ride. 

And when you do that, you're only playing high school kids from Texas. You're isolating your football team to national talent and preventing them from being exposed to the rest of the country. 

It is not high school...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Scheduling is limited to teams that will play NT and have a matching date to do so,

The change in conferences has added needed oc games as some scheduled like SMU and Memphis are now at least scheduled as AAC contests. 

Four years out may seem like a long time, but in football scheduling, it is not. 

I agree there is nothing to gain by playing Wyoming on the surface versus a more regional game.

However, it beats a money game against someone that won't ever play in Denton and that NT will have a difficult task in matching up with or a buy-a-win game against a SWAC or equivalent team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, ipd054 said:

Deal signed in December of 2017, when were were unable to get a home and home against any teams outside of SMU.  This was seen as a sign of great things to come as it was one of the first deals signed by Wren.  

Remember who the Wyoming QB was right about then?  Would’ve been cool to see two similar guys of our respective eras go head to head.  I’m totally fine with this home and home.  They were playing in a better league at the time.  I think the OP may possibly feel different if we were playing a CUSA schedule again next year but not sure.  Nothing wrong with playing a flagship state school in the Mountain West for now until we beat them consistently.  Let’s not take the cheap way, let’s not take the harder way.  Let’s just take the right way which is beating the next dudes in front of you, IMO. 

• Upvote 1