Sam Houston not impressed with UNT

Jonnyeagle

Both WAC teams advance, with UVU dominating @ UNM. Kats hit the road to Denton to play UNT on Sunday, 3pm on ESPN+. My initial (and expanded) reaction looking into UNT as posted in the first round thread: I'm looking at their schedule and it's less impressive than their record indicates. They played no P6 teams - but lost 63-33 to Saint Mary's (not a typo), had two lower level victories, and went 10-0 against the bottom 5 CUSA teams (2-2 against the next two highest). They were given a very favorable draw with a poorly rated Alcorn State team that comes in @ 247 in KenPom - the Kats faced #83 Santa Clara on the road. I think Hooten can pull off another one.

LINK: https://www.katfans.com/katsforum/showthread.php?24269-NIT-Round-2

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 2

I get why people see that St. Mary's loss and raise a red flag.

But I just think that flag should have a big asterisk next to it: how teams play in G2 of a 30+ game season is not likely to be an indication of how they are playing right now.

Lastly, no mention on his post about Perry being out.  Do they know we were w/o CUSA POTY vs. St Mary's?

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

To be fair, I see zero comments on that thread. Not sure that's a fanboard as much as it's a personal blog for a SHSU alum who's apparently living in Detroit. The OP joined in April of 2021 and has over 2,200 posts? Sheesh.

Lol, yes, a very limited and lame fan forum.   It was mentioned in another thread that they did not want to host first round due to spring break and AD predicting weak attendance, no arena confliction.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

To be fair, I see zero comments on that thread. Not sure that's a fanboard as much as it's a personal blog for a SHSU alum who's apparently living in Detroit. The OP joined in April of 2021 and has over 2,200 posts? Sheesh.

There are certainly more comments. His appears on page three, but you have to click next thread for it to pop up and show the whole thread. It appears many didn't have faith that they would win their first NIT game. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2023 at 10:29 AM, greenminer said:

I get why people see that St. Mary's loss and raise a red flag.

But I just think that flag should have a big asterisk next to it: how teams play in G2 of a 30+ game season is not likely to be an indication of how they are playing right now.

Lastly, no mention on his post about Perry being out.  Do they know we were w/o CUSA POTY vs. St Mary's?

Not just Perry. Pretty sure 3/5 of the starting lineup was out, they didn’t practice for a week leading up to it and a big chunk of the team had the flu 

• Upvote 2

I’d give a testicle to play SMC or FAU in late February instead of how early we played those games.  We should be the Cinderella in the NCAA tourney!  I honestly think there are maybe 5-6 teams in the sweet 16 that we could beat and 5-6 we’d give them 40 minutes of hell that they’ve never experienced!