Mac mention for Wichita State opening

13 hours ago, CMJ said:

It's a better job, even after we're in the same league it's a better job. It's like Kentucky is a better job than Florida even if they're both in the SEC.  But as I said, it's not enough of a better job once we're in the same conference, that it's worth jumping.

I agree with that comparison but as it pertains to the non-power conferences, I don't think UNT to Wichita State is enough of a leap that really raises your profile. If the ultimate goal is power conference, does Wichita State coming off 3 average seasons make that easier than UNT as is it now? Florida to Kentucky is not just a leap in the same conference, it's a leap to one of the best jobs in the country.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I agree with that comparison but as it pertains to the non-power conferences, I don't think UNT to Wichita State is enough of a leap that really raises your profile. If the ultimate goal is power conference, does Wichita State coming off 3 average seasons make that easier than UNT as is it now? Florida to Kentucky is not just a leap in the same conference, it's a leap to one of the best jobs in the country.

I guess what I am saying is, Wichita State has proven over time that they'll never be down that long.  They're one of the best jobs in the country outside the power leagues.  They are a higher brand name than us.  We have three stretches of good basketball in the last 60 years or so.  Are we in a better position right now?  Sure.  That doesn't mean we're a better program.  Pitt had a better season than Carolina.  UNC is the better job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I guess what I am saying is, Wichita State has proven over time that they'll never be down that long.  They're one of the best jobs in the country outside the power leagues.  They are a higher brand name than us.  We have three stretches of good basketball in the last 60 years or so.  Are we in a better position right now?  Sure.  That doesn't mean we're a better program.  Pitt had a better season than Carolina.  UNC is the better job.

Apples and oranges IMO.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Apples and oranges IMO.

Exactly.  Coaches many times make job location decisions based on family location desires, as well as professional happiness.   It's not always about chasing carrots to West Virginia, lol.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Exactly.  Coaches many times make job location decisions based on family location desires, as well as professional happiness.   It's not always about chasing carrots to West Virginia, lol.

Again, I think Mac should stay here...all one has to do is read my early posts on this thread.  That doesn't mean Wichita isn't the better gig.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

22 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Thats why I said UNT could offer more... Hopefully the university realizes his importance.

I just looked up Gregg Marshall (their previous coach)'s salary.  From 2015-2017 he made 3 million a year.  After that his salary was raised to 3.5 million a year until he was terminated because of the abuse allegations.  They had Isaac Brown on the cheap for them.

Edited by CMJ
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2023 at 3:33 PM, MCMLXXX said:

I don't think Mac is going anywhere. He is a big football fan and he especially isn't going to a school that doesn't have a football team.

On 3/15/2023 at 4:07 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I have no idea whether or not he is interested, but thinking that he's going to make his decision based on whether or not they have a football team he can cheer for?  That is plain delusional.

They hired a new coach from a non football school. Vindicated!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35913901/wichita-state-set-hire-oral-roberts-paul-mills-coach