NCAA Bracket Challenge

UNTLifer

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

I'm really not sure why Connecticut doesn't get the hate that other blue bloods get.  Since 1999 they have more championships than anyone.

For me, I think of UConn along the same lines as Gonzaga, Xavier, Marquette, etc.    Kind of like they’re an underdog taking down the big boys.  I know that’s not really accurate, just giving an example of why they aren’t hated (by me anyway).

Side note:  not a good decision by me to have Arkansas beating them in my bracket*😬

*I hung around the top for the first weekend, but I expect to be middle of the pack at best when it’s all said and done.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NT93 said:

For me, I think of UConn along the same lines as Gonzaga, Xavier, Marquette, etc.    Kind of like they’re an underdog taking down the big boys.  I know that’s not really accurate, just giving an example of why they aren’t hated (by me anyway).

Side note:  not a good decision by me to have Arkansas beating them in my bracket*😬

*I hung around the top for the first weekend, but I expect to be middle of the pack at best when it’s all said and done.

Marquette won a title, but it was decades ago, so I guess I can give you them.  Xavier and Gonzaga are always knocking on the door but have never won.

Connecticut was in the Big East...arguably the best league in basketball (I'd probably go with the ACC, but it's close) the last 40 years...for 3 of their 4 titles...and now are back in the conference.  I just don't see how anyone can think of them as scrappy underdogs.

Since 1999:

Connecticut 4 titles

Duke 3 titles

North Carolina 3 titles

Kansas 2 titles

Villanova 2 titles

Florida 2 titles

Not to mention, dare I say I think they might be the best team playing right now.  They've crushed their first three opponents.  We could be easily be seeing a 5th title run.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I really thought Arkansas was better. Replace Ucon with them and I would be happy. (Well that and Texas can just leave lol) 

Who knows this year, but right now I think the favorite to cut down the nets in Houston is whoever wins between Gonzaga and Connecticut.

Edited by CMJ

9 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

Three of the Final Four teams will be from so-called non-power conferences.

The best it can be is two.  The Big East (Connecticut) is a Power house conference in basketball.  Miami and Texas assures that another one gets in.  If Creighton wins (Big East), that's three.  Should SDSU win they would share the banner with FAU.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CMJ said:

The best it can be is two.  The Big East (Connecticut) is a Power house conference in basketball.  Miami and Texas assures that another one gets in.  If Creighton wins (Big East), that's three.  Should SDSU win they would share the banner with FAU.

Goes to show you what I know.

I tend to view the Sweet 16 as the round where you sorta judge conference strength and Elite 8 going forward it's just about matchups and all.  That said all those Big Ten and Big 12 teams in the tourney this year. Zero in the Final Four.

Edited by CMJ
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I tend to view the Sweet 16 as the round where you sorta judge conference strength and Elite 8 going forward it's just about matchups and all.  That said all those Big Ten and Big 12 teams in the tourney this year. Zero in the Final Four.

That Texas collapse was insane

Connecticut cuts the nets down for the 5th time.  They may not be consistently good like the other Blue Bloods, but when they have a really good team -- they almost always seem to win it.  In the last 25 years, the Huskies have made the Sweet 16 ten times.  Of those ten they've made the Final Four...6...and won it all....five.

That is INCREDIBLE.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CMJ said:

Four of the five.  Their first was in Florida.

But yeah, they have luck in the Lone Star State.  Pencil them in the next time the Final Four comes back to Texas.

Caught that, which is why I deleted that post. 4 of 5. San Antonio, Houston, Arlington and Houston again.