Alcorn State (3/15/23)

Yeah, I think the biggest issue for this game will be motivation.  Does the squad get up emotionally for the game?  I'd like to think they would, playing in the NIT is still a big deal (unless you're UNC apparently....Kentucky still played in the NIT a few years ago when they didn't make the NCAAs) even if not what Perry and the guys were hoping for.  Should we come out with our heads right, we advance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I would like to see a loose and confident team on Wednesday. If they come out with that psyche, there is no way we don't end up playing for a trip to Vegas. Getcha minds right. GMG

I'd love to see the pace we played at vs. LA Tech if we could get those 19 turnovers down to 10-12.

Also, hopefully this year we DON'T give up a full-court shot at half*

*I know it didn't count last year, but definitely gave the opponent and their fans an extra shot of adrenaline as they surged ahead in the second half

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SUMG said:

Alcorn State has some nice road wins.....beating SFA by 9....and Wichita State by 9.

May have our hands full.....just like last year with Texas State. 

Would be great to see 5k in the Pit Wednesday, but with the students out for break and no big name opponent??? Probably looking at 3k of the diehards. Got my 4 tickets today. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

A little trivia....the last time The Super Pit hosted NCAA Tournament games.....Alcorn State was one of the 6 teams sent here. The others were: Bradley, Texas A & M, South Alabama......and LSU and North Carolina (who both got byes in the first round). 

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, SUMG said:

A little trivia....the last time The Super Pit hosted NCAA Tournament games.....Alcorn State was one of the 6 teams sent here. The others were: Bradley, Texas A & M, South Alabama......and LSU and North Carolina (who both got byes in the first round). 

Additional trivia.... did anyone know Memphis won a men's basketball game at the SuperPit two years ago?

They beat Boise 59-56 in the quarterfinals of the 2021 NIT here.   

Both the SuperPit and Comerica Center in Frisco hosted the whole NIT tournament for 16 teams.

It was the first time the semifinals and finals were played away from NYC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_National_Invitation_Tournament

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Additional trivia.... did anyone know Memphis won a men's basketball game at the SuperPit two years ago?

Both the SuperPit and Comerica Center in Frisco hosted the whole NIT tournament for 16 teams.

I watched about half that game on TV

14 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I went to the Memphis-Dayton game in Round 1. And then watched some of the other games that were there....on TV. I think that's when I first noticed how great our court looks on TV. We have one of the best looking courts in the country. That new design they came up with............greatness. 

• Upvote 5

Just got my tickets.

Interesting that there's an option to "send a student" to the game on the event landing page when students get in free. I guess they're hoping some people don't notice and they can make a few bucks for the MGSF.

https://meangreensports.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=NIT&linkID=unt-athletics&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

If they want to be more honest, they should have this kind of program aimed at getting military, first responders, or local teachers to the game.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 8:41 AM, Matt from A700 said:

Also, hopefully this year we DON'T give up a full-court shot at half*

*I know it didn't count last year, but definitely gave the opponent and their fans an extra shot of adrenaline as they surged ahead in the second half

I guess we can safely talk about it now.

Watch the "official clock" closely. It's displayed directly between the scores on the display. Full screen, pause and toggle to where the clock shows 00.1.  Where is the ball when the official clock shows 00.1 remaining?

Edited by ADLER

42 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Just got my tickets.

Interesting that there's an option to "send a student" to the game on the event landing page when students get in free. I guess they're hoping some people don't notice and they can make a few bucks for the MGSF.

https://meangreensports.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=NIT&linkID=unt-athletics&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

If they want to be more honest, they should have this kind of program aimed at getting military, first responders, or local teachers to the game.

Current UNT students will receive free admission thanks to the UNT Division of Student Affairs, Department of Athletics, and through the generosity of several donors. For those Mean Green fans who would also like to help send current UNT Students to the NIT please click here.

The ticketing system may have recognized you as an ID: Ten-T customer.

The NIT owns this game and requires to be paid for every person that gains admittance. The Athletics Department, Student Affairs Division, and many boosters are just being incredibly generous by covering the costs for the students.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Just got my tickets.

I'm pretty sure that's there because students don't get into the NIT games for free, even at home. Or an outside organization usually donates to send a lot of students for "free."

Edited by YNWA2017

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I was at that game in person, very very weird to see 2 non UNT teams on our court 

• Upvote 1