UAB (3/10/23)

CMJ

5 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Now fix the Mavs 

I try to support Kidd where I can due to their success last year and lack of big man (which isn’t on Kidd) but even when I mention his peculiar lineups in called an “apologist” and a coach supporter who doesn’t support fans or the actual team 🙃

- Should have tried to get Curry with the Kyrie deal since the nets aren’t using him like they use too and pushed hard for Poetl if the Spurs would have traded with us. One solid big away from competing in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

We actually had the shots to win this in the end. Jones misses 1 FT and we get several good looks to cut the lead when it was a 5 point game. We just couldn't make those chances. 

Hell, we had it down to 2 with what should have been an And 1.  If Jones makes the free throw, it's down to one with under a minute.  I don't think Perry fouls out (he fouled to stop an easy bucket because it would put us back down 2 possessions...if we're down one, we only go down three and he doesn't foul).  Then we have about...20 something seconds to work for a quick hitting trey or go inside for an easy bucket and play the foul game.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I’m mad but I also understand that UAB is good.  They are just better than us.

They scored more points than us today, but I’m not ready to call them outright better.  We spotted them a 20 point lead and still almost won the game.   I’ll be glad when Walker has run of eligibility. He’s a really good player. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I get that were proudly "the slowest offense in the NCAA" but if we can't pick up the tempo when needed isn't that an issue?

I think we were trying to be methodical, until it didn’t make sense. We pushed the final 2 mins?  1:30?, and our guys responded. It was a bit too late, though.

I felt like Rubin/Kai/Tylor could have gotten into the paint whenever they wanted to.  I also felt Scott was available for the corner 3 the entire game.  Feel for the team…they busted their butts all season. Hope some postseason play is in the cards. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

He’s 71-23 in 3 years at UAB. 1 conference title and been to the finals 2 of his 3 seasons. After going 245-155 at Ole Miss over 12 years. 22-8 this year and was without Walker for 6 games? He comes back on his first game back after being gone, comes off the bench and they beat FAU. I think they’ll win the tourney tomorrow. 

He’s without a doubt the best coach in the conference. Doesn’t mean I don’t like Mac and Mac’s not a great coach….he is. Both things can be true  

If Mac goes to Tech, do we go after UAB's coach?

Discuss amongst yourselves. 

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

The blown layups and inability to grab a board in important moments is what cost the game. 

The 50/50 balls were definitely rough (not just boards, but loose balls on the floor).  Felt like they got about 75% of them.  

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, BleedingGreen said:

Knee jerk emotional reaction. 

The main thing opposing fans say is his biggest negative is lack of offense and what about today showed that it is no longer an issue for him?

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Better than us today.  I think we're about even.  Hell, we beat them not long ago.

Even though we swept them in season, they are clearly the more athletic team. We were able to muck up our reg season games and get into our grind em down rhythm. They weren't going to let that happen. And AK coming out in the 1-3-1 early and extending it out to get good on-ball pressure made Tylor work every possession for even just a pass was pretty brillant. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Even though we swept them in season, they are clearly the more athletic team. We were able to muck up our reg season games and get into our grind em down rhythm. They weren't going to let that happen. And AK coming out in the 1-3-1 early and extending it out to get good on-ball pressure made Tylor work every possession for even just a pass was pretty brillant. 

And yet we still almost stole it at the end.  I stand by what I said - we're about even.  I don't care if they're more athletic.  Half the teams in the league were probably more athletic.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

The blown layups and inability to grab a board in important moments is what cost the game. 

12 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

The main thing opposing fans say is his biggest negative is lack of offense and what about today showed that it is no longer an issue for him?

I don't think it was bad offense, we just couldn't make a basket for too much of the game.  I guess you could blame it on his offense when we several chances for shots w/in 10 feet and didn't take them.

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Something needs to change on offense next year. I get having the best defense in the country, but what good is it when you can’t score for multiple scoring droughts a game?

Our defense is good because of our pace of play on offense. Think flex football. Army/Navy don't have the steel curtain on defense. They just hog the ball on offense. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball. 

So, if GM ups our tempo on O, he's openly willingly to give up more points. I'm not sure we should do that. Fast paced offense are for teams that have fantastic and athletic guard play. As much as I love TP, he's a shooting guard in a PG's body. 

I think our style, per our recruiting,  has to stay the same. 

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Our defense is good because of our pace of play on offense. Think flex football. Army/Navy don't have the steel curtain on defense. They just hog the ball on offense. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball. 

So, if GM ups our tempo on O, he's openly willingly to give up more points. I'm not sure we should do that. Fast paced offense are for teams that have fantastic and athletic guard play. As much as I love TP, he's a shooting guard in a PG's body. 

I think our style, per our recruiting,  has to stay the same. 

Yes, I get all of that but our style of play is dependent on being precise with every offensive possession we get and leaves little room for error and how often did our offensive droughts leave us in big holes to dig out of game after game this season? Teams finally wised up on how to guard us and we had little to no response 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yes, I get all of that but our style of play is dependent on being precise with every offensive possession we get and leaves little room for error and how often did our offensive droughts leave us in big holes to dig out of game after game this season? Teams finally wised up on how to guard us and we had no response 

I get it. But we aren't recruiting well enough to change anything that we're doing. 

Also, per our record, this was our best basketball team in school history. If offered, I would sign on a dotted line for 26 wins a season for the rest of my life right now. 

• Upvote 3