UAB (3/10/23)

CMJ

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I get it. But we aren't recruiting well enough to change anything that we're doing. 

Also, per our record, this was our best basketball team in school history. If offered, I would sign on a dotted line for 26 wins a season for the rest of my life right now. 

Yeah, I like this perspective and it is true. Just frustrating when something you knew was your Achilles heel all season ends up doing you in when it matters most

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Christian Moore szn

I really wish he would have been put in the game when we were down 20 something to 2. We couldn't hit a shot and that guy can really shoot. All it takes is a couple 3s to drop and everything changes. Could have been jolt we needed. Ultimately, we came close to tying or winning so I think Grant played it out well. Really excited to see Moore develop, though.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 6

28 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I get it. But we aren't recruiting well enough to change anything that we're doing. 

Also, per our record, this was our best basketball team in school history. If offered, I would sign on a dotted line for 26 wins a season for the rest of my life right now. 

I don't want to win 26 games, am I clear? I want to win championships!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

53 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

The main thing opposing fans say is his biggest negative is lack of offense and what about today showed that it is no longer an issue for him?

You play offense strategy using the talent you have . He did that given the talent ok hand.  If we played up tempo , we might have been .500 in conference.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

UAB (jelly) outplayed NT.  An off game for NT at the wrong time, they obviously were not focused at the beginning and just couldn't catch up.

Those complaining about McCasland and his style of play IMO lack in basketball knowledge and prospective.   He maybe the best head coach in any sport at any time at NT.  I only say may because Hayden Fry also coached here.

I wish NT would have won the conference tournament, but if you are honest you have to realize that if NT gets a NIT offer; there is still a lot to accomplish.

I just wonder if Perry will return next year.  He is going to be offered a boatload of NIL money.  

• Upvote 7

I know TP won the award, but Jelly is the best player in the conference.  He was the difference yesterday.

This was not Mac’s best team and they still won 26 games.  Really gritty and tough group of kids.  They never quit, but we have holes all over the place offensively.  Will be interesting to see who is back next year and what pieces are brought in.  How Abou continues to develop will be crucial.  He struggles against the better posts in this league, but he has the tools to be an all conference level player.  I’d love to see a talented kid on the level of a Jelly Walker come in.  We will need it at the AAC level.  Someone who can single handedly pull us out of a scoring drought or take over a game.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I know TP won the award, but Jelly is the best player in the conference.  He was the difference yesterday.

This was not Mac’s best team and they still won 26 games.  Really gritty and tough group of kids.  They never quit, but we have holes all over the place offensively.  Will be interesting to see who is back next year and what pieces are brought in.  How Abou continues to develop will be crucial.  He struggles against the better posts in this league, but he has the tools to be an all conference level player.  I’d love to see a talented kid on the level of a Jelly Walker come in.  We will need it at the AAC level.  Someone who can single handedly pull us out of a scoring drought or take over a game.

TP was player of the year. Walker was definitely player of the game and is incredibly talented.

As I understand the award, it’s the entire body of work in the conference.  TP played every game and had a more complete season (defense, scoring, durability). 

I don’t know that this offense had holes as much as a lack of ball movement.  The scoring droughts do get frustrating, though. It eventually had the answer last night, but it waited too long to figure out what was needed. (Still don’t understand why we didn’t feed Scott on the corner 3 on a more regular basis).

I think Moore is going to be a stud for us next season. I’m basing this off of the limited playing time I saw of him this season. 

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Upvote 1

Maybe I watched a different game but yesterday's scoring drought to start the game was not due to offensive holes or lack of ball movement; players simply weren't finishing "easy" shots. I went back through the ESPN play-by-play for these numbers: Abou missed a dunk and a lay-up, huntsberry missed 2 free throws on 1 trip and missed 3 layups, and Perry missed a lay-up. All this in the first 10ish minutes. That doesn't include post shots and open jumpers that were missed. From lay-ups, a dunk, and Kai's early empty trip to the FT line, that's 14 points right there that we didn't get. UNT was not outmatched. Just couldn't get the shots to drop early. This team beats UAB almost any other day. Just a rough start yesterday. It happens to everybody but for our guys it happened at the worst time.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I think there is a difference between the Most Valuable Player and the Best Player.  Jelly Walker may be the best, most talented player, but Tylor was the Most Valuable Player to his team, thus earning the MVP Award.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

I think there is a difference between the Most Valuable Player and the Best Player.  Jelly Walker may be the best, most talented player, but Tylor was the Most Valuable Player to his team, thus earning the MVP Award.

I thought UAB was garbage until Jelly returned.
We managed a handful of wins while TP was off.

Am I remembering wrong?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

UAB looks like garbage tonight.  Double Jelly and nobody else can beat you.  What was our staff thinking???

He was finding some nifty passes down low in our game Friday when we did pressure him.  He was a much better passer than I gave him credit for. 

• Lovely Take 1

• 3 weeks later...