UAB (3/10/23)

CMJ

20 horrible minutes (firs ten in each half).

The effort -even of those players that had a bad night- was great.

Credit also needs to be given to UAB. whenever UNT was about to get there, they responded. Also made pretty much all their FTs down the stretch to put it away.

It will be an NIT home game I would strongly assume.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Coach Mac is going to need to address these types of holes and scoring droughts his teams get in that make it nearly impossible to come back from during critical games. Still plenty of work needs to be done for us to be at the top of the AAC in the coming years. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

FAU, Charlotte, and UAB felt like our opponent was playing our game plan against us - just better.

They were able to stagnate our offense, either by their doing or our own. I can't tell.

It's tough to watch, but UAB hit some tough shots, played really well and had a good game plan.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I get that were proudly "the slowest offense in the NCAA" but if we can't pick up the tempo when needed isn't that an issue?

Mac

is a good tough coach. Smart and gets the best out his guys….. but….. I am unsure he ever studies offense. Some plays but really it’s waste 25 seconds then either attack or take a contested three. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

There’s nothing wrong with this team EXCEPT….we need a big that doesn’t need to catch the ball five feet from the basket.  None of our bigs are a threat outside that therefore the space in the paint is easy to defend. Also, why don’t we have a “small” lineup more often? Scott had thirteen boards, I’d have a lineup with him as the “big”. Either way, twenty six wins is pretty damn special. 

Also, I didn’t see the totals but for long stretches it felt like they outrebounded us. Sissoko had one board. Only felt like we evened it up on the boards in last five mins.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Mac

is a good tough coach. Smart and gets the best out his guys….. but….. I am unsure he ever studies offense. Some plays but really it’s waste 25 seconds then either attack or take a contested three. 

I don't believe it is Mac not studying or knowing offense. Especially when he is over there stomping his foot to get offensive players moving.

I think when you have coached a group of players to slow things down until the last 10 seconds - they get complacent for the front 20 seconds of the clock and may get accustomed to playing that way, even when they need to speed it up.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

I don't believe it is Mac not studying or knowing offense. Especially when he is over there stomping his foot to get offensive players moving.

I think when you have coached a group of players to slow things down until the last 10 seconds - they get complacent for the front 20 seconds of the clock and may get accustomed to playing that way, even when they need to speed it up.

Yes that’s it. He wants them to slow down. At least 12-15 times on the break he put his hands up to slow them down and get set. Then burned at least 20 seconds of clock to maybe convert a third of them. Taking the other teams pace Into account that can take 4-5 minutes to simply score 6-9 points instead of attacking on the break and trying to draw falls or get a kick out for three or even an easy layup and get our opponent on their heels. 

We did this yesterday against La Tech and then decided screw it let’s just go so slow that Jelly outshoots us and we simply waste time. That’s what it felt like watching 80% of the game. It would be the same to any spectator, recruit, coach, etc… Avery Johnson even said with maybe 7-8 minutes left in the half that North Texas would have to pick up the pace to cover the deficit because UAB could still control the clock. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yes that’s it. He wants them to slow down. At least 12-15 times on the break he put his hands up to slow them down and get set. Then burned at least 20 seconds of clock to maybe convert a third of them. Taking the other teams pace Into account that can take 4-5 minutes to simply score 6-9 points instead of attacking on the break and trying to draw falls or get a kick out for three or even an easy layup and get our opponent on their heels. 

We did this yesterday against La Tech and then decided screw it let’s just go so slow that Jelly outshoots us and we simply waste time. That’s what it felt like watching 80% of the game. It would be the same to any spectator, recruit, coach, etc… Avery Johnson even said with maybe 7-8 minutes left in the half that North Texas would have to pick up the pace to cover the deficit because UAB could still control the clock. 

Now fix the Mavs 

• Haha 4

UAB punched NT in the mouth early, and I think caught this team off guard.

The expectation this year was to make the CUSA finals imo.  So, I am disappointed for sure.

But this loss doesn't really matter. UNT likely could not beat FAU anyway.

Really would like to see FAU make it far in the NCAA bracket this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

29 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Nope

He’s 71-23 in 3 years at UAB. 1 conference title and been to the finals 2 of his 3 seasons. After going 245-155 at Ole Miss over 12 years. 22-8 this year and was without Walker for 6 games? He comes back on his first game back after being gone, comes off the bench and they beat FAU. I think they’ll win the tourney tomorrow. 

He’s without a doubt the best coach in the conference. Doesn’t mean I don’t like Mac and Mac’s not a great coach….he is. Both things can be true  

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1