Jalie Mitchell

I don't think Jalie is going anywhere. They will let her play out her contract. 98% of the people who are saying she should go do not go to WBB games anyway and that's not because we are not winning. It's because they just don't want to go and watch the women play. It's like the WNBA. No one watches. We can say it's a money sport, but we all know it's not. It's not worth the money to fire her before her contract is up for a sport that no one watches anyway. This is not football and MBB.

• Upvote 11
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Don’t tell Tennessee, UCONN, NC State, LSU, Baylor and others it’s not a money state or that it doesn’t matter. Look logically to Texas, SFA….when I was a student SFA women’s game was the “featured “ game!  I support Jamie, but her coaching isn’t coaching. We don’t average more than 100 people at games. Time to get serious for all sports.  #GMG

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

On 3/12/2023 at 10:48 AM, Venson said:

I don't think Jalie is going anywhere. They will let her play out her contract. 98% of the people who are saying she should go do not go to WBB games anyway and that's not because we are not winning. It's because they just don't want to go and watch the women play. It's like the WNBA. No one watches. We can say it's a money sport, but we all know it's not. It's not worth the money to fire her before her contract is up for a sport that no one watches anyway. This is not football and MBB.

To be fair, North Texas didn't even fire Benford before his contract was up.  And, Benford's performance makes Jalie look like Pat Summitt by comparison. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Greendylan said:

To be fair, North Texas didn't even fire Benford before his contract was up.  And, Benford's performance makes Jalie look like Pat Summitt by comparison. 

That was on Wren.  Rookie AD mistake.  It’s the reason our Mens basketball still struggles for season ticket holders.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

The return on firing and hiring someone new is too low to justify. She's not earning the next contract right now by her performance. I think they just wait it out. 

@aztecskinNot directed at you, but that is a BS way to run the program as we are trying to move up in the world of athletic programs. Either we are all in or were not. Hearing people think we don't need to make a coaching change is just as bad as those who thought we should not have moved on from Seth. So tired of this attitude of "it's good enough for Nort Texas." 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@aztecskinNot directed at you, but that is a BS way to run the program as we are trying to move up in the world of athletic programs. Either we are all in or were not. Hearing people think we don't need to make a coaching change is just as bad as those who thought we should not have moved on from Seth. So tired of this attitude of "it's good enough for Nort Texas." 

Maybe. But with a new football coach and trying to hang on to Grant (god forbid replacing him) I’d say our money and energy could be better used on those things. 

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No one is saying she doesn't need to go. What we are saying is that it's not worth the money to fire her. Outside of maybe 10-20 schools out of well over 300, no one cares about WBB. It's the same reason why the NBA has to subsidize the WNBA. The WNBA operates in a negative deficit and the NBA has to pay them so they can turn a profit. I bet no one on this board can name one Dallas Wings player without Googling it. Why? Because no one watches or cares. I love UNT WBB and Coach Mitchell and want them to win all the time, but let's be honest, how many more would attend the game if she was winning? Maybe a couple hundred more. When I taught at the University of Memphis, there was a reason that the WBB played in the Elma Roane Fieldhouse vs the MBB that played in the FEDEX Forum.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

Maybe. But with a new football coach and trying to hang on to Grant (god forbid replacing him) I’d say our money and energy could be better used on those things. 

Yeah I mean we have limited resources to deal with as meanrob, Venson, and others noted. The marginal dollar spent on eating her contract, a coaching search, and the hire bring how much revenue? 

That same amount could bring in 2x or 3x spent in other areas. 

WBB is good enough not to be embarrassing and occasionally make a run in the league tourney. For our purposes, that’s just about the minimum. 

She has time on her contract to improve the product or we move on. I think thats fair given the interest level 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, aztecskin said:

She has time on her contract to improve the product or we move on. I think thats fair given the interest level 

How much time is on her contract?   

If we can be good in softball and soccer, we can be good in women's basketball...but we're not.  Winning seems to be about finding the right coach, as much as the right athletes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

How much time is on her contract?   

If we can be good in softball and soccer, we can be good in women's basketball...but we're not.  Winning seems to be about finding the right coach, as much as the right athletes. 

1. I know people were mentioning a recent extension --but from what I remember it was in 21 for two years. So this was the end of that contract (she got a bump to 195K per + it was fully guaranteed for finishing top-4). I don't remember her getting more time.

2. Sure, I think the contention is that the will (read: money) to find the right coach is not there. Also, Hedlund sort of fell into our lap and we were underfunding his program for a long while. This is part of my point. If Mitchell is doing mediocre, (and assuming the contract isn't up this season) let's spend any extra money on making sure the soccer squad can compete in the AAC, as it is a point of pride and we will want to continue the success. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

"This has been a difficult decision, but I am thankful for the last eight years to lead my alma mater," Mitchell said. "I am proud of all that we accomplished and confident that a strong foundation has been laid. I am so grateful to every young woman and staff member who came together and sacrificed to grow this program. I look forward to continuing to support and root for this program moving forward. Forever Mean Green."

She resigned because she thought it was for the best of the program but I am so glad she was given the opportunity to begin with. She elevated and stabilized a program that had been struggling for over a decade, and she always represented the university with class and grace both as a player and as a coach.

I would like to see her retained in some position but I wish her nothing but the absolute best. Wherever she goes and whatever she does, she will always be a beloved member of our Mean Green family.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

It is weird but in many ways this reminds me of Tony Benford.  I think Jalie, like Tony could recruit at a high level but she could not coach to the level that was required.  I am sorry that she lost her position but I am sure she will be an assistant somewhere, maybe at a smaller school.

I disagree with her recruiting at a high level. This was always my biggest disappointment. For someone very connected to SW Dallas County, she never made any headway at Duncanville, DeSoto or Cedar Hill with the impact girls there and other places.

• Upvote 4