PIRATES PARADISE at UNT

I don't believe Coach Leach had anything to do with or a relationship with The University of North Texas, did he?

Hard pass for me and a bad look with the ECU Pirates going to be a conference mate starting next year.  

#Fail 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 8

10 minutes ago, keith said:

I don't believe Coach Leach had anything to do with or a relationship with The University of North Texas, did he?

Hard pass for me and a bad look with the ECU Pirates going to be a conference mate starting next year.  

#Fail 

This exercise is called “midnight maneuvers” and has been in the Morris’ playbook from day 1 as a head coach back in 2018. The ONLY reason there is Mike Leach branding on this is because Leach was Morris’ friend and mentor and he died just a few months ago. If Mike Leach is still alive, this is simply called midnight maneuvers and you are excited to see the team working hard. Get over yourself, this is a Morris thing, not a North Texas thing. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This exercise is called “midnight maneuvers” and has been in the Morris’ playbook from day 1 as a head coach. The ONLY reason there is Mike Leach branding on this is because Leach was Morris’ friend and mentor and that mentor died just a few months ago. If Mike Leach is still alive, this is simply called midnight maneuvers and you are so excited to see the team working hard. Get over yourself, this is a Morris thing, not a North Texas thing. 

Our football program isn't his personal platform to honor his former boss.  Pirate ships, pirate hats, not for me.  If he wants to honor his former boss, hang a freaking poster of him in his office.  He's completely tone deaf on this one and had a chance to make it a North Texas thing and NOT a Morris thing and blew it IMHO.

#Epicfail

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 14

Maybe we should have gone with:

“In tribute from Eric Morris to Mike Leach, UNT Football presents: Mean Green Midnight Mayhem”

Put it on a shirt!  

All above is in jest. The kids and staff are using this to build community with each other and that’s a good thing.  It’s fine. Let them. The work and relationships are the important aspect right meow. 

• Upvote 4

So much yelling at clouds in this thread. Morris is a Leach disciple and it’s his way of honoring Leach. He has seen how this helped teams in the past and wants that for his team. The players and coaches really seem to enjoy it so who cares if he has no affiliation to NT, as long as it works

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

Our football program isn't his personal platform to honor his former boss.  Pirate ships, pirate hats, not for me.  If he wants to honor his former boss, hang a freaking poster of him in his office.  He's completely tone deaf on this one and had a chance to make it a North Texas thing and NOT a Morris thing and blew it IMHO.

#Epicfail

So sad! 

Can you name any other school's Special practice? Does it matter if the kids are into it? 

What a grump. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

17 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Let me clarify. I am not upset about the event. Sounded like a fun event. Maybe it is a “Morris tradition” to honor his former coach but it should not be labeled a tradition of North Texas. Hope that clarifies my position.  
Either way, if it is an event that brings the team together then I am all for it. 

It takes years and years for something to become a tradition; if it's successful for years on end, we will have the story of how it was to honor Morris's mentor. More so, how many people besides the players even know the name of these special practices? 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, keith said:

#Epicfail

Its just a small something called inspiration... Seriously... I bet you aren't related to Martin Luther king but sure would find his speech motivating. You never made a movie but you've probably been inspired by one. Do you listen to someone elses music? Well guess what...

Drawing on emotional context to inspire is a great tool until we fill our tool kit with enough to create our own. 

You just sound... Angry, and honestly petty

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, keith said:

#Epicfail

So you are saying you wanted a man who has no history with or allegiances to our university other than a paycheck to foster new traditions at our 130 year old university? He has no business creating new North Texas traditions; traditions should come from within. His job is to create excitement and wins for the duration of his tenure here and nothing more.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So you are saying you wanted a man who has no history with or allegiances to our university other than a paycheck to foster new traditions at our 130 year old university? He has no business creating new North Texas traditions; traditions should come from within. His job is to create excitement and wins for the duration of his tenure here and nothing more.

I don’t think I said anything about traditions.  I don’t have an issue with the name Midnight Maneuvers or building team chemistry or any of that.   I’m not a fan of the pirate motif and turning the IPC into a shrine for someone with zero affiliation to the university.   Maybe he could have drawn inspiration from someone associated with UNT to build a stronger connection to the university for himself and the team.  He can talk Leach up all he wants in team meetings, film sessions, praise his innovations, share his insights with the team however he sees fit, but the the other stuff is a bit much IMHO.  Everyone else can like it, love it or whatever…I don’t. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, keith said:

I don’t think I said anything about traditions.  I don’t have an issue with the name Midnight Maneuvers or building team chemistry or any of that.   I’m not a fan of the pirate motif and turning the IPC into a shrine for someone with zero affiliation to the university.   Maybe he could have drawn inspiration from someone associated with UNT to build a stronger connection to the university for himself and the team.  He can talk Leach up all he wants in team meetings, film sessions, praise his innovations, share his insights with the team however he sees fit, but the the other stuff is a bit much IMHO.  Everyone else can like it, love it or whatever…I don’t. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

Animated GIF

💚

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

What is with the punching of the ball?  

26 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I was wondering, too.  Trying to force a fumble by punching it out of the ball carriers hands?

Or maybe it's more of a toughness, fight for that inch, claw with our fingernails for that inch, because that's the difference between winning and losing kind of deal?

Al Pacino GIF

I don't know, might be reaching a bit there, but I could see that playing a role as well. They're building team chemistry, comradery. We're all in this fight together etc etc 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On 3/9/2023 at 2:42 PM, keith said:

#Epicfail

Absolutely horrible take. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1