If Grant takes the Texas Tech job…

A comment under this video got me to thinking. Here is the comment.

"6. While he does win, I’m worried about his ability to coach without his AHC Hodge.

CUSA Rankings:

2017 - 7th

2018 - 9th (Hands Defense to Hodge in offseason)

2019 - 1st

2020 - 3rd

2021 - 1st

Not entirely certain McCasland is the defensive guru we think he is. Hodge also has coached an NJCAA national championship so we know there’s good staff backing him."

Could Hodge really be the main ingredient in our success? If Grant does go, then we could use his buyout to pay Hodge for at least 3 years.

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 3
  • Pissed 2
  • Eye Roll 2

image.gif.74299491cd92cda1e8404090dbbd3553.gif

5 minutes ago, Venson said:

A comment under this video got me to thinking. Here is the comment.

"6. While he does win, I’m worried about his ability to coach without his AHC Hodge.

CUSA Rankings:

2017 - 7th

2018 - 9th (Hands Defense to Hodge in offseason)

2019 - 1st

2020 - 3rd

2021 - 1st

Not entirely certain McCasland is the defensive guru we think he is. Hodge also has coached an NJCAA national championship so we know there’s good staff backing him."

Could Hodge really be the main ingredient in our success? If Grant does go, then we could use his buyout to pay Hodge for at least 3 years.

48 minutes ago, NT80 said:

2016 overall record = 8-22 (Benford)

2017 overall record = 20-18

2018 overall record = 21-12, CBI Champions over USF.

There was an instant difference from Benford to Mac.

I am certainly not saying Grant is a bad coach because he is not. I think he is great. I guess what I should have asked is how much do any of you think it is Grant and how many think maybe it was Hodge based off of that person's comment? I don't know because I don't know basketball like that. UNT is the only basketball I watch so admittedly I don't know as much as others.

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Venson said:

I guess what I should have asked is how much do any of you think it is Grant and how many think maybe it was Hodge based off of that person's comment?

Tech fans always think an assistant coach is the reason for success. When Beard left for Texas, they were convinced Adams was the key to their success in Lubbock. What did Beard with Texas in two years? He prepped them to be a Top 10 team and headed to the Sweet Sixteen. What happened in Lubbock? They crashed.

Edited by DentonLurker

10 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Tech fans always think an assistant coach is the reason for success. When Beard left for Texas, they were convinced Adams was the key to their success in Lubbock. What did Beard with Texas in two years? He prepped them to be a Top 10 team and headed to the Sweet Sixteen. What happened in Lubbock? They crashed.

Sounds reasonable to me.

On 3/9/2023 at 12:57 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Mac rumors are getting heavy

By who?  The same rumor mill on GMG & by the same hardy handful? 

As another said, Mac would not pursue discussing any job (Tech or whoever) until they get back from Las Vegas.  Seems most of this group were similarly confident Mac would most definitely take the SMU job after last season & FWIW—he’s still getting his mail in Denton.  

Why does the possibility of losing our head basketball coach get such non-stop attention on GMG?  Hope Coach Mac doesn’t take any of these “sure thing & done deal” job projections by our own fans personal.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

I’m not convinced coaches don’t have conversations during the season about other jobs. I’ve been able to do my current job well while still having conversations with potential future employers at the same time. But just for the sake of agreeing with you, I can almost guarantee his agent would still be out there greasing the wheels in your scenario where he’s not going to chat until after they get home from Vegas.

Why would he take it personally that his fans A- Think he’s qualified and ready for a Big XII gig and B- Would be sad to see him leave? I can’t seem to remember anyone suggesting they hope he leaves or that we would be better off if he did leave.

Edited by DentonLurker

11 hours ago, Venson said:

I am certainly not saying Grant is a bad coach because he is not. I think he is great. I guess what I should have asked is how much do any of you think it is Grant and how many think maybe it was Hodge based off of that person's comment? I don't know because I don't know basketball like that. UNT is the only basketball I watch so admittedly I don't know as much as others.

GM is a fantastic face of the program. He's a motivator, a players coach. We play slow paced offense b/c GM thinks that suits his players best. He even noted in an interview that he contemplated playing faster this season, but he thought it was best for his personnel to stay pat. 

The defense is Russ. Big time defensive TOs the team is huddling Russ. Big time defensive possessions Russ is up on his feet trying to orchestrate. 

It is what it is.  He's a great coach and our attendance and schedule (OOC) this year has been weak.  He gets upgrades across the board at Tech.  That wasn't going to be the case at smu where their attendance has only ever been good when they had the celebrity Larry Brown coaching them.  

Why would he not take Hodge with him, though?  I would think the entire staff would get a huge raise.  Not just Mac.  Do we know that Hodge wants to be a head coach even?

No matter what happens, I trust Mosley will find a solid replacement if Mac does move on.  He's a basketball guy and UNT is a great job and getting better.  

Edited by TIgreen01

4 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

It is what it is.  He's a great coach and our attendance and schedule (OOC) this year has been weak.  He gets upgrades across the board at Tech.  That wasn't going to be the case at smu where their attendance has only ever been good when they had the celebrity Larry Brown coaching them.  

Why would he not take Hodge with him, though?  I would think the entire staff would get a huge raise.  Not just Mac.  Do we know that Hodge wants to be a head coach even?

No matter what happens, I trust Mosley will find a solid replacement if Mac does move on.  He's a basketball guy and UNT is a great job and getting better.  

I have heard from more than one person that Hodge does want to be a head coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m not convinced coaches don’t have conversations during the season about other jobs.

He’s absolutely talked to Tech. But it’s not as done deal as some are talking. At this time, I’d say it’s about 95% likely he’s gone but a couple things:

1) as of now, I don’t believe he’s formally been offered the job

2) he and his family are VERY happy in DFW (happy enough to turn down a $2mil raise? Probably not lol)

12 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

By who?  The same rumor mill on GMG & by the same hardy handful? 

As another said, Mac would not pursue discussing any job (Tech or whoever) until they get back from Las Vegas.  Seems most of this group were similarly confident Mac would most definitely take the SMU job after last season & FWIW—he’s still getting his mail in Denton.  

Why does the possibility of losing our head basketball coach get such non-stop attention on GMG?  Hope Coach Mac doesn’t take any of these “sure thing & done deal” job projections by our own fans personal.

I mean, a lot of people who have good sources…

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

He’s absolutely talked to Tech. But it’s not as done deal as some are talking. At this time, I’d say it’s about 95% likely he’s gone but a couple things:

1) as of now, I don’t believe he’s formally been offered the job

2) he and his family are VERY happy in DFW (happy enough to turn down a $2mil raise? Probably not lol)

It’s a done deal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Because you don’t reach out to someone to join their staff if you’re not already in talks and finalizing a deal somewhere. Unless two of Mavs assistants are leaving…. Only you also wouldn’t mention Lubbock…. You go trust CBL and whoever else is around the game and doesn’t directly work with coaches or communicate with coaches from other districts. You keep thinking everything others post is spot I know. It doesn’t bother me one bit. I don’t question people who already worked for Tech football and know people contacted…. but sure thanks for making me have to explain everything just like I did with the whole Tony Mitchell situation which got me in hot water with JJ’s wife since she worked at the school I was at and came down and told me and some coaches that information…. 

Sorry I asked.  Half of this is hard to understand.  Who has he reached out to?  Mavs assistants?  Who mentioned Lubbock? CBL?  Tech football?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

We were lucky to have him for six years.  I am really a fan of the person he is and how that carries over into his coaching and the way he treats his players.  Created such a special culture, was genuine and you could see the decision and realization that his UNT time had come to an end were wearing on him.  Teared up in the post game press conference.  I am not a fan of Tech because the majority of their fans are ignorant morons, but I don't wish any ill will on Coach McCasland.

The other downside that nobody has mentioned is the NIT "Mullet Boy".  It was reported this young man was Mac's son.  Going to miss him as well.

• 10 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 7:34 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

I'd like a call to Kennesaw State head coach Amir Abdur-Rahim. Took a dumpster fire to ASUN regular season and conference champ in 4 years. They're currently 26-8 heading into the NCAA tournament after beating NET #40 Liberty today.

Not saying he'd be my guy but he would need to be considered.

Other programs he's coached at: Murray State, Charleston, Texas A&M, Georgia.

Has USF leading the AAC. They've already got as many wins as they had all of last season. Not that I'm unhappy with Hodge but Abdur-Rahim has done great things in year 1 at USF.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3