If Grant takes the Texas Tech job…

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'd be surprised, but I guess I could see that if the Horns lose in the Sweet 16.  However, if Texas gets to the Final Four there is no way they can let him walk.

Oh, I’m just making up shit at this point. It’s a symptom of my current state of denial. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

If Grant does leaves for Lubbock, I have one last request for him. He mentioned how nobody significant wants to play us in nonconference. Why doesn't he do us a solid and play us in Denton next fall?

Grant selling Kirby Hocutt on the idea.

741c9dbd-6e8b-4053-8b2d-efc3db24f328_tex

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, CMJ said:

I'd be surprised, but I guess I could see that if the Horns lose in the Sweet 16.  However, if Texas gets to the Final Four there is no way they can let him walk.

The day we lose a game in the NIT it seems to be a done deal he will announce 😞 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The day we lose a game in the NIT it seems to be a done deal he will announce 😞 

So let's make sure we don't lose a game in the NIT.  Give him a welcome home celebration after they win the title and pull on his heartstrings.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

Turning the Texas tech program around will not be easy, the Big12 is stacked and just about every program in that conference will out recruit Tech from high schools and in the transfer window.  there is a major recruiting gap in the Big12 between the top schools and the bottom schools in that conference.  Nothing against Mac, but what Tech really needs is a big name coach that can instantly recruit top ranked players. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Ok now that we've had a day to celebrate and enjoy the OSU win I feel like I can address this. 

I don't doubt that Mac is a candidate for the job, but at this stage I would think he is one of a few names they are looking at. The other I would guess is Dusty May, also what about Brian Dutcher who makes $1.3m at SDSU? Texas might not keep Rodney Terry. That along with a few names is what I figure they are looking at. 

Let's not forget SMU tried to money whip Mac last season. Rumors were they were offering in the $2.6-2.8M range, but he turned them down. Could UNT offer him something in the $2m range to convince him to stay? The other part of me has the Littrell era in my head where we shouldered a big debt if we let him go early. The difference is that Mac has actually won the hardware/big wins; CBI champs, regular and tourney champs, NCAA win, NIT wins and Semi Final. Going into the AAC it will be much easier to get into the NCAAT as an at-large. However we cannot match the money and more importantly recruiting advantage that TT has. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

Turning the Texas tech program around will not be easy, the Big12 is stacked and just about every program in that conference will out recruit Tech from high schools and in the transfer window.  there is a major recruiting gap in the Big12 between the top schools and the bottom schools in that conference.  Nothing against Mac, but what Tech really needs is a big name coach that can instantly recruit top ranked players. 

They were in the sweet 16 last year and in the national title game just 4 years ago. I don’t think it would be any harder than turning around the pile of dog excrement that Tony Benford left behind.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

They were in the sweet 16 last year and in the national title game just 4 years ago. I don’t think it would be any harder than turning around the pile of dog excrement that Tony Benford left behind.

The main problem for Grant at Tech or other P5 programs is they have fan bases with NO patience!  They want top shelf wins and March Madness first season..   If you don’t produce by second season, you’ll be labeled loser and they have the $$ to replace you!   At NT, Grant is already King and can stay as long as he wants. 

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I despise Tech and won’t root for Mac there if he leaves, but not sure why some are acting like they are a bottom of the conference program. The above clearly shows otherwise. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, rojomojo said:

All of this could've been avoided if Mark never talked about masters and slaves with a group of African American basketball players...

Messing around with his dead brother’s wife wasn’t the best show of character either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1