Chandler Rogers - QB Spotlight

MGNation92

36 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

Chandler Rogers is the guy Jason Bean couldn't beat out in high school.

I thought they split time? Could be wrong, but either way he was pushing to start over Bean for sure

Excited to see what he can do with our offense. Especially with the skill we have coming back

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I thought they split time? Could be wrong, but either way he was pushing to start over Bean for sure

Excited to see what he can do with our offense. Especially with the skill we have coming back

So, is Chandler Rogers the only duel-threat QB we have in the room?  

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With a new staff and a new system, I hope you are wrong. Unless one comes out of the gate clearly ahead of the rest, I hope they take the time to choose the starter.

No man I don’t want that. I don’t agree one bit.  Give the best guy who is Roger the most reps.  You give your starter the most reps period.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With a new staff and a new system, I hope you are wrong. Unless one comes out of the gate clearly ahead of the rest, I hope they take the time to choose the starter.

Coach Morris was last a HC at UIW in 2021.  Below is an example of his team and offense vs SFA in the 2021 FCS playoffs.  This was his 4th year there, after getting his players to fit his playbook.  Cameron Ward was his QB, a duel-threat QB and elite passer.   UIW was 4th in the Nation in FCS scoring offense at 40 points per game and 5th in yards passing at 352/yds per game.  SFA was a Top 20 defense in this game.  UIW won 35-28 in OT.

In this game Ward was 39/54 for 328 yds, 4tds, 0 ints.

But you have to tailor your initial playbook to your inherited roster of players and their talents too.  I recall Jerry Moore (a Nebraska asst) replacing Hayden Fry as HC.  He attempted to instantly make us a running Nebraska offense with Fry's team.  It mostly failed.  

Also, here is UIW's next game in the 2021 playoffs, at defending National FCS Champ Sam Houston.   Close game the whole way, high scoring...

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

Coach Morris was last a HC at UIW in 2021.  Below is an example of his team and offense vs SFA in the 2021 FCS playoffs.  This was his 4th year there, after getting his players to fit his playbook.  Cameron Ward was his QB, a duel-threat QB and elite passer.   UIW was 4th in the Nation in FCS scoring offense at 40 points per game and 5th in yards passing at 352/yds per game.  SFA was a Top 20 defense in this game.  UIW won 35-28 in OT.

In this game Ward was 39/54 for 328 yds, 4tds, 0 ints.

But you have to tailor your initial playbook to your inherited roster of players and their talents too.  I recall Jerry Moore (a Nebraska asst) replacing Hayden Fry as HC.  He attempted to instantly make us a running Nebraska offense with Fry's team.  It mostly failed.  

Also, here is UIW's next game in the 2021 playoffs, at defending National FCS Champ Sam Houston.   Close game the whole way, high scoring...

I'm really excited to see how this offense develops

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

How do you know Rogers is the best guy?

I don't know about best, but Rogers is Morris' guy. He inherited the rest, while specifically choosing to recruit Rogers.

I think that says something. That being said, I am much more confident in Morris' ability to find a quality starter than I was with Littrell 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I don't know about best, but Rogers is Morris' guy. He inherited the rest, while specifically choosing to recruit Rogers.

I think that says something. That being said, I am much more confident in Morris' ability to find a quality starter than I was with Littrell 

He also recruited QBs Jake Wilson and Jaxx Warren, both HS pocket passers with size.  But I do feel Rogers is the initial favorite just based on his prior college experience and he fits the QB profile Morris had at UIW.

• Thanks 2