Perry waiting until after season to determine if he will return to UNT for another season

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Doesn't change for me. We can go out in first round and he transfer anywhere and I'd be fine with it. Thanks for the memories. There were great moments. Wish there'd been a few more in March but it is what it is. Best of luck. Never forget about North Texas.

I've been downvoted plenty for this position when football players transfer out. Do what's best for you. Apparently this philosophy is one of the many things wrong with my generation.

we're in complete agreement. glad some recognize there is a human element to our routing interests

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

If I'm another program looking at TP....do I look at him as a "system player?" 

I don't really know the answer but with only one year left....can he come into a different system and be as successful as he is in Denton?

Seems like it could be like taking a player from the triple option to a spread team...in one year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

IMHO, many are taking this the wrong way.  I take it that Perry is focused on this season and doesn't want to consider anything or have anything to shift his focus away from right now.  

The difference in Perry compared to Gibson, Reese or McBride is that Perry has stated numerous times that we were the school he wanted to attend/his dream school.  I think the decision comes down to if he wants to play another year or graduate and move on with the next step in his life.

Only thing that concerns me (if it’s even a concern….I hope he does what’s best for him….he’s earned the right, but selfishly I obviously want him to stay) I would think he will be a target of some big programs. Do they get their sales pitches ready and bring the NIL dough to him? He’s one of the best 3 point shooters in the nation and is a clutch time monster. He would be attractive to most programs out there….

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think I saw a Gonzaga Player said if he went to the NBA right now he make close to 500-600K.  He said he would make more by staying at Gonzaga.   

The key to this team is keeping Mac. He is the gear that drives the machine.  I sure many programs are knocking on his door.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ADLER said:

Grant gave them each their big break and they are incredibly successful here. I seriously doubt they're going to turn their backs on him and their teammates just to become anonymous one season journeymen at some other school.

All of us have our price. NIL with no limits or restrictions sucks!

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

32 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

All of us have our price. NIL with no limits or restrictions sucks!

They are having the time of their life at North Texas. It's not going to be the same elsewhere regardless of how shiny the lure is that some other school casts.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm surprised we aren't talking more about this.  An extra year for Kai is not certain right now.  Not as far as I know.

I remember early in the season we were talking about who had extra years remaining and I thought TP and Kai were both said to have 1 more year. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I remember early in the season we were talking about who had extra years remaining and I thought TP and Kai were both said to have 1 more year. 

It seems the issue is he played 2 JUCO seasons and then last year at University of Mary. I am not sure if he would get a 5th covid year, already using 4 years of eligibility 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

It seems the issue is he played 2 JUCO seasons and then last year at University of Mary. I am not sure if he would get a 5th covid year, already using 4 years of eligibility 

Isn't TP in the same situation? I don't think anyone is doubting he will have the 5th year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

Isn't TP in the same situation? I don't think anyone is doubting he will have the 5th year. 

TP definitely has another year.  That is not the question.  The question is will he transfer out due to NIL money at another school.  Vito is the one who prompted this with his stupid article.  Tylor has never raised the issue of leaving until Vito prompted it.  At what point is the UNT AD going to realize what a cancer Vito is for this university?

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

TP definitely has another year.  That is not the question.  The question is will he transfer out due to NIL money at another school.  Vito is the one who prompted this with his stupid article.  Tylor has never raised the issue of leaving until Vito prompted it.  At what point is the UNT AD going to realize what a cancer Vito is for this university?

What I meant by the same situation was in reference to years played and eligibility left.

TP 2 years at Coffeyville, 2 years at UNT. No one is questioning he has an extra covid year.

KH played 2 years in Juco, 1 year at UM and 1 year at UNT. But everyone is uncertain is he has another year left. 

I'm just confused as to why Perry's eligibility situation is clear, but Huntsberry's isn't, even though earlier in the year it seemed like everyone thought Huntsberry had the extra year. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

What I meant by the same situation was in reference to years played and eligibility left.

TP 2 years at Coffeyville, 2 years at UNT. No one is questioning he has an extra covid year.

KH played 2 years in Juco, 1 year at UM and 1 year at UNT. But everyone is uncertain is he has another year left. 

I'm just confused as to why Perry's eligibility situation is clear, but Huntsberry's isn't, even though earlier in the year it seemed like everyone thought Huntsberry had the extra year. 

I thought I heard that Kai took a personal year to deal with family issues.  Not sure if that was tied to covid or not.  There could be some question as to how that year is treated or if it may require NCAA appeal.

19 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I thought I heard that Kai took a personal year to deal with family issues.  Not sure if that was tied to covid or not.  There could be some question as to how that year is treated or if it may require NCAA appeal.

Now that I hadn't heard before. Looking at his UNT bio I see the gap in the 20-21 season. But he did play in the 19-20 season where covid shut everything down, so you would think he would have that year. 

https://meangreensports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/kai-huntsberry/5634

• Thanks 1