Probably the best football schedule we have had in the history of UNT athletics

Jonnyeagle

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I just cannot recall a better football schedule in the of the program.  Cal at home?  That's maybe the 2nd P5 we ever had in Apogee.  Trips to New Orleans and Annapolis are awesome destinations.  Only bad part is we don't get to play in Houston this year.

I just tried to book a room at the Annapolis Mariott for the game but the rate was $948 per night! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I just cannot recall a better football schedule in the history of the program.  Cal at home?  That's maybe the 2nd P5 we ever had in Apogee.  Trips to New Orleans and Annapolis are awesome destinations.  Only bad part is we don't get to play in Houston this year.

SMU on a Friday night also sucks, but at least it should be on ESPN. 

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I just tried to book a room at the Annapolis Mariott for the game but the rate was $948 per night! 

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Hilton Garden Inn Annapolis is $279 a night but you have to do Fri thru Sunday to get a lower rate.  

This might explain (From a Navy fan)

We knew homecoming would be 7 October, now we know the opponent will be UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1

16 hours ago, NT80 said:

Better, as in quality of opponents?

The 1995 schedule, in our return to 1-A football, was our most challenging ever:

@ Missouri

Kansas

Oregon State

@ Oklahoma

@ Nevada

UAB

@ LSU

@ Alabama

@ UNLV

Idaho State

@ Louisville

I disagree, this 1995 schedule was a joke, the program was completely unprepared and had little to no funding.  The people responsible for that schedule were trying to pay the bills versus this coming schedule where at least we have a fighter's shot.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, NT80 said:

The 1995 schedule, in our return to 1-A football, was our most challenging ever:

@ Missouri

Kansas

Oregon State

@ Oklahoma

@ Nevada

UAB

@ LSU

@ Alabama

@ UNLV

Idaho State

@ Louisville

That schedule was brutal. 

The victory over Oregon State at Fouts is one of my best memories from my 45+ plus years of fanship. As I remember we came back to win in the 4th quarter.

That year we also televised every game locally. I believe it was on Channel 27 in DFW. Gil Brandt was one of the members of the Broadcast team but I do not remember the other.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I disagree, this 1995 schedule was a joke, the program was completely unprepared and had little to no funding.  The people responsible for that schedule were trying to pay the bills versus this coming schedule where at least we have a fighter's shot.

Were you even a fan back then? 

There was no Sun Belt, no Big West and a lot of the G5s today were FCS. We were an independent trying to fill a schedule. Were we overmatched? Sure but mostly because we lost a very good senior class the year before. Who would you have scheduled back then? 

Ifs and buts but I would’ve loved to see the 94 team play that schedule. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to the Navy game. One of best friends lives just an hour away so if need be we can crash there but we are looking at the Navy Lodge for $100 a night across the Severn River. 

Best Western is $152 a night in Annapolis on Hotels.com btw.  They are starting to run low though.

Get about 12 miles out of Annapolis and you have tons of nicer options in the $150 range.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I believe that I'd check out places in Virginia near Chesapeake Bay.  If you do, please let us know if reason finally took over.

I ended up at the Hilton Garden Inn on Truman Parkway which is about 4 miles away from the stadium. With my senior discount, it was 342/night.  As you say, there are less expensive options if you are willing to drive an hour or so.

Hope to see you there!

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

While posting about the away games, I hope the tradition of a UNT tent at tailgating will return.  This was common in the RV days and for those of us that do not live in Denton, it was a great way to meet other fans, especially those on GMG.com

I don’t know if they’ll do it at every away game but they definitely should for Navy. 

• Upvote 3
  • RV 3