Attendance Sucks. What to do about it!!

KeithLee

35 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

Why not try one of the concepts that was, iirc, used as part of the sales pitch to build the stadium which will be formerly known as Apogee? Have concerts after the game with bands that PAYING CUSTOMERS would want to hear, with no admission of those not already in the stadium at the end of the game.

Of course I guess it would mean more music being performed, which might upset some here.

fify

KYC: Know Your Customers

Always gear your promotions towards paying customers intending to get them to attend and hopefully become loyal customers.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Have Gameday activities before and after the game and make the day an event they can enjoy. Have tailgates, concerts, and activities for families. We need someone in the AD working full-time on the Gameday experience for all games on campus and student involvement.

Amen!

18 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

1. Significantly limit transfer students. Transfers are dopes that have or care to have zero connection to UNT. Why even let them on campus? 

2. Cap art/film/music applicants. No explanation needed. 

3. Increase attendance at the business school. No explanation needed. 

And to be frank, our athletic department does a lousy job in promoting their own product. Mass emailing people in your already existing pool of fans that clearly have a vested interest in the product moves the needle none. 

clown post.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, northtexassigep said:

push football games back to 6 pm because students are not going to cook in the sun at 3 pm. 

This is what I was just thinking.  I bet that would be a small bump in attendance alone.  Especially for the early season games where it might be 90 degrees and above. The game would be over by the time any good plans/parties have started and if they did it right their buzz would be fading.  

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Then the students complain their Saturday evening party plans are shot.

Work with student groups to make sure that those Saturday parties are scheduled at the football stadium. Do they require set tailgating/party areas with access to electricity? Is there already sufficient lighting in these areas?

Nobody ever meets with them prior to them forming their social calendars. Mixers and formals are scheduled many months in advance, and without any guidance from the university there will be conflicting events.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Students will come when they feel seating is limited or they are missing out on an important event. 

I say forget marketing to students! 

Put all our efforts and AD resource$ into marketing to Alumni, adults, groups...non-campus fans (Denton, DFW area suburbs). 

When college stadiums are full of adults, and students feel they only have limited seating THEN the game will be an event and must-see to students!

fans-of-the-unlv-rebels-cheer-during-a-g

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

Students will come when they feel seating is limited or they are missing out on an important event. 

I say forget marketing to students! 

Put all our efforts and AD resource$ into marketing to Alumni, adults, groups...non-campus fans (Denton, DFW area suburbs). 

When college stadiums are full of adults, and students feel they only have limited seating THEN the game will be an event and must-see to students!

fans-of-the-unlv-rebels-cheer-during-a-g

Students will go where there's beer, music, and people to meet. What's key for us is how to help them do that safely before, and after our games.

I suggest providing well lit designated party areas for the organizations that apply, provide them power for music which is cut during the games, and strictly police those areas to keep thievery and binge drinking from happening during the games. They'll also need power for post-game parties and lighting for when they pick up their tents, tables, and chairs.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Man, ppl got sensitive about me being negative about transfer students. But, hey, from the experiences I have communicating with them they don't give a shit about UNT. Why make UNT a transfer destination? I'd rather have a university with 10k badass students than 50k losers. JMO. 

I took classes while I was in the Marines and then attended UNT. Technically I was a transfer student. 

A buddy in college started out at a JUCO to save money then transferred to UNT. 

Us losers went to every home game. 

If you care more about football than the school there’s this thing called the NFL. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

I transferred from UT. As much as dreamed of being a UT athlete and fan as a youngster, I did not like UT. I came to NT intent on loving my last 2.5 years of college. It started with the first game I saw as a student, ironically Texas. We won on an overtime three-pointer, if I recall correctly. I never looked back. Win or lose, I love my team and I attend every football home game, a few basketball and soccer games and more softball games.

I'd rather see any North Texas game than any Texas game, and haven't owned a UT shirt since Dec of 1980.

(caveat: I was in the Hammer Squad at FW Southwest. It is in my blood to go to games and make noises, some rude, when there)

GMG

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, meanrob said:

I took classes while I was in the Marines and then attended UNT. Technically I was a transfer student. 

A buddy in college started out at a JUCO to save money then transferred to UNT. 

Us losers went to every home game. 

If you care more about football than the school there’s this thing called the NFL. 

While I was there me and several other losers went to many games and supported the program.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

I transferred from UT. As much as dreamed of being a UT athlete and fan as a youngster, I did not like UT. I came to NT intent on loving my last 2.5 years of college. It started with the first game I saw as a student, ironically Texas. We won on an overtime three-pointer, if I recall correctly. I never looked back. Win or lose, I love my team and I attend every football home game, a few basketball and soccer games and more softball games.

I'd rather see any North Texas game than any Texas game, and haven't owned a UT shirt since Dec of 1980.

(caveat: I was in the Hammer Squad at FW Southwest. It is in my blood to go to games and make noises, some rude, when there)

GMG

You sound like a good and loyal fan.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, untcampbell said:

GMG

Us losers had floor seats back in the day. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, KeithLee said:

This would be nice, but I’m pretty sure our TV deal picks time we kick off. If we are winning, maybe we get the best time slot. 

Those students don’t care to be “cooking in the sun” on tailgate hill. 

• Eye Roll 2

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Maybe it is the term you so affectionately use to describe transfer students that strikes people wrong. JMHO. 

Maybe. But, as others have pointed out, there are some winners that transfer in. Most are still losers with UNT on their future degree and a closet full of maroon or orange. If you can't buy in to who you are as a person and get behind it then you are a loser and a self loathing person. I pity the mentality. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

37 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Maybe. But, as others have pointed out, there are some winners that transfer in. Most are still losers with UNT on their future degree and a closet full of maroon or orange. If you can't buy in to who you are as a person and get behind it then you are a loser and a self loathing person. I pity the mentality. 

Largest paint brush

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You have some serious issues. Been following Harry's boards for a long time, but not sure I have ever seen anything this stupid. Not sure what someone that transferred in did to you, but I hope one day you can get over yourself it. Maybe you should change your user name to NTWeLove, except for transfers.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Man, ppl got sensitive about me being negative about transfer students. But, hey, from the experiences I have communicating with them they don't give a shit about UNT. Why make UNT a transfer destination? I'd rather have a university with 10k badass students than 50k losers. JMO. 

Keep limiting those music students long enough until the Green Brigade looks as pathetic as SMU's band. Good thinking. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think we can all just be glad you aren't making any decisions at any level. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

How well are the new students being indoctrinated on athletics at boot camp?  Get them enthused with band and cheerleaders present.  Form competition between dorms and organizations.  Have game day reminders displayed on campus.  Free Wing Zone tickets to DISD elementary students on a given day when accompanied by a parent.  Discounted tickets to middle and high school students.  If we can't get enough students there work on the townspeople.  No day games until late October to avoid the blistering sun that the student side faces.  Hold pep rallies on campus the Friday before a home game.  Deeply discount Wing Section tickets.  As RV used to say, "An empty seat can't buy a hot dog."

• Upvote 3