Attendance Sucks. What to do about it!!

KeithLee

I hear you but I still think winning consistently is the key.  After that and perhaps as important is winning key "opportunity" games.  Littrell was horrible at that.  An example would be the Mean Joe HOF game against La. Tech and of course the many openers as well as home games with SMU that were basically over in the first half.  You cannot do that and build any type of consistent attendance. 

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

I hear you but I still think winning consistently is the key.  After that and perhaps as important is winning key "opportunity" games.  Littrell was horrible at that.  An example would be the Mean Joe HOF game against La. Tech and of course the many openers as well as home games with SMU that were basically over in the first half.  You cannot do that and build any type of consistent attendance. 

Soccer, basketball, and softball win. Why aren’t their games packed? 

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

I was at UNT from 2005 to 2011. I went to nearly every football and basketball game during that time. I had a blast at the games. I have traveled to UNT since I graduated several times for mostly football games, but some basketball games. There is nothing like a game-day atmosphere!  I cannot understand this low attendance, though I know winning has alot to do with it. For me living out-of-town, I think what a privilege it would be to be able to regularly attend these games. Fans in general are so fickle too - if a team is losing they leave early, and if a team is winning big, they leave early....you go through the time and expense to attend, why leave early at all? Anyhow, that's just my take and grip. I really hope attendance improves across all of our sports. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, KeithLee said:

Our attendance at every sports venue is not good. I see Alumni are starting to show but how do we get the students to the games. Men’s Basketball is winning and ranked 12th in the Mid-Major. Softball is ranked 22nd in the nation and soccer is a winning program. The new football staff are putting pieces of the puzzle together for a run in the first AAC season, but how do we get butts in the stands. I have an idea, but it takes every organization on campus( Sports, Greek, Band, etc) along with Prez Smatresk and Mr Mosley’s staff. 

We need a campus challenge. It should be based on participation to all sports activities and other items such as plays, music performances, etc. We should have weekly, monthly, and semester prizes to the organization with the most attendance to other activities on campus. Our coaches and leaders of these organizations should be making it a requirement to attend at least one activity a week that is not the one you are involved in. An individual would need to post his/her attendance to said activity on social media and tag the organization they are from, the sport or other activity they are attending, and the Prez and Mosley staff. These are then tallied to see which organization(s) have the most school spirit. They then get either a party, recognized at a sporting event, 10points on an upcoming test/assignment, etc. I know some organizations are smaller so you would have to do it by percentage. Such as 80% of this organization went to at least two activities this week. If you go to an away game you get double the points, or something like that.

Having a campus competition, I believe, will help build hype for UNT. Hell, I didn’t go to UNT, but have been to a home and road basketball game, road softball game, and home soccer game. I go to most football games due to my son playing but you get the point. I’m invested in UNT’s success. They gave my son a full ride scholarship, it’s the least I could do. Thoughts on how we can get our stadiums full?67AD43C8-A50C-4162-949B-A3B15551DA4B.jpeg.095ae70a3158a4fa1156bb7a7c1b7d3e.jpegA5B2B006-84A3-40B5-8436-79F2EF7BE3DD.jpeg.6dee15acf53d8dc99b28637986580403.jpeg

Taking your idea a little further....perhaps we could have winners in different categories, i.e.  Greek organization, athletic team, campus organization, dorm, etc., to encourage competition among  peer groups.  I think that might encourage more involvement because you would be compteting against your peer group.

• Upvote 3

The athletic department could do a better job promoting games in the community and on campus. Let's be honest, there are a lot of commuter kids and hipsters that attend UNT. Why not partner with the various colleges (business, education, sciences,etc.) to encourage attendance? Show proof you were at the game, get an extra credit grade (doubtful they would do that). Even just having signs or giving swag out on campus would do wonders. I remember when Dodge was fired, Chico went to the Golden Triangle Mall encouraging shoppers to go to the games.

• Upvote 3

1. I like the idea. It may be a challenge to execute with the number of students we have, but I agree with the general sentiment that something can/should be done with the support of the university admin to promote events of all kinds. I think incentivizing students to "attend events outside of their own" is generally good for student growth and experience and something all admin and staff should be encouraging.

2. Another mechanism to increase student attendance is to provide the Mean Green Maniacs with resources to "recruit." That group is great to have at games for home court/field advantage and general atmosphere. They also just look like they're having a great deal of fun. The AD could figure out creative ways to help the Maniacs spread the word about who they are and what they do to bring more and more students to the games. Sometimes the "join us because it's fun" is a better motivator than "attend this for a university credit/challenge."

3. Externally, for non-students, the AD should consider some advertising budget to get the local community involved. It's hard to attend a home game if you don't know they're happening.

4. Externally, for non-students, the AD should consider partnering with some corporations for promotions. People laugh about UTSA's KFC promotions, but I recently talked with some folks from San Antonio (non-UTSA grads), and all four have been to multiple UTSA games. I don't know if the KFC that did the trick, but UTSA got them in and they've had great game-day experiences.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Although we have over 40,000 students, the sad truth is that too many kids who actually aspire to go to UNT when applying for colleges are attending for programs in art, music, film, etc. -- I don't what to stereotype, but most of these kids aren't interested in sports.

We need to raise our profile around the area and state. Winning will help that. Make more high school kids see UNT as more than a cheap back-up. Too many P5 school gear on UNT's campus.

I think the problem is deeper rooted than just "art kids don't like sports." If that were true and they make up maybe 8k of the student population we would have 36k other students clamoring to get into games. There is a large apathy across the board that doesn't see UNT athletics as a worthwhile investment. The AD really needs to hire a firm and do some in depth analysis as to why students do attend and what it would take them to. 

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

***Caution: Long Post, But You Will Be Enlightened***

Figure out what plans will entice people to come, and what will make them want to keep coming back.

Never trick or trap your customers into attending. They will quickly detest your existence. No more "Captive Orphans Corner" or "Detained Immigrants Section" suggestions.

Attendance will certainly benefit from winning, but it's not the only thing that bolsters attendance.

Are we charging too much for tickets? Would reducing the price of admission significantly raise attendance? I really don't know.

Are we providing the proper amenities that make customers want to return? If not, what are we missing?

Here's an easy one. Are we scheduling to adjust for predictable weather? Are we making sure that students attending late August games aren't staring into the sun for two hours in 100+ degree heat? We already know to the exact minute what time the sun sets for the next 10,000 years. How on Earth could we possibly f*** that up?

Are there pregame activities? Should there be more? Our parking situation pretty much dictates that fans and guests get to the stadium early. Should there be more for them to do once they get there? Is there even a place to sit while waiting? Is there entertainment?

Why aren't the students offered free food through Dining Services? Thousand of students are skipping their dorm meals while at the game. Why doesn't Dining Services offer free Hot Dog and Soda meals at the games to ALL students? Many will still choose concessions over a hot dog, but that will be their option. Why not have self-serve drink machines for free refills on their concourse like those at a 7/11?

Provide tailgate tents for Denton businesses inside the stadium grounds along with a purchased ticket package. Those people are as interested in visiting with each other as they are with watching the game.

Scrappy's Kids Club needs to be organized and expanded. Parents want to bring their children to events that they enjoy. We need for there to be little kid cheerleaders, and we need for the little guys to be able to run on the turf before or after the field whether it's an organized activity for free range.

Have we reached out to peer institutions? Could our football games at UTSA be included free for students and likewise for them at ours as part of their student ticket package? It wouldn't cost anything, it would raise attendance, it would help build the rivalry, and it would bring in additional parking and concessions revenue.

Have we advertised "football weekends" for season ticket holders of visiting AAC teams? Something that has specials at local hotels, their team hotel, and Denton restaurants. The City of Denton will really LOVE the Mean Green if they are seeing a significant increase in tourism revenue. Do we provide hospitality tents to these guests?

Have we straightened out our parking issues? Will lot requirements be posted prior to cars getting in line, and will there be more than one line to get cars into each lot?

Have we figured a way to enclose the Alumni Pavilion so that it can be outside the stadium for pregame but included inside the stadium as a "beer garden atmosphere"? Have we planned post-game activities/radio shows/ podcasts here, or is this building just a dark locked up empty facility being wasted during it's most important hours?

Have we appealed to the campus police to Protect and to Serve? They view the games as a findfall for issuing MIP's which is clearly in violation of the intent of that law. In 1986 the drinking age was raised to keep alcohol out of high schools and that purpose is not required on a college campus. Please Protect and Serve by guarding all the valuable tailgating items left in the dark parking lots and on the Highland Park Hill. Elements of the Denia residents descend like Jawas every game night to pilfer for valuables and beer.

Whatever happened to the pregame and postgame concerts idea? There should be concerts aimed directly at the demographic that buys the overwhelming majority of our tickets. Send season ticket holders a matching set of tickets for these games. These events will be able to entice them to bring friends and our loyal customers are our best salespeople.

And there are hundreds of other things that could be listed.

Like I said earlier, figure out what plans will entice people to come, what things will enhance their experience, try to eliminate things that will cause a bad experience, and try to find what will make them want to come back.

It's not a fix as things are constantly changing. It's a Continuous Improvement process.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 2

The problem is the Dorms. We don't have them like at other schools. Unt did not want to put money into them. They have apartments all around denton, but it is not the same. After your freshman year, you are kicked out because there are not enough rooms. I have family going here, but they are told you cannot live in the dorms next year. It is just not the same. You don't build the same experiences because of lthis. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 3

49 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I think the problem is deeper rooted than just "art kids don't like sports." If that were true and they make up maybe 8k of the student population we would have 36k other students clamoring to get into games. There is a large apathy across the board that doesn't see UNT athletics as a worthwhile investment. The AD really needs to hire a firm and do some in depth analysis as to why students do attend and what it would take them to. 

Agree!

• Upvote 5

Think it was back in ‘92 when we were struggling to pull in higher attendance to move out of the SLC.  They offered free beer to every student who attended.  

Broke college kids + beer = a lot of us went.  Not sure if this is doable these days but sure made for a decent turnout. 

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

For the casual sports fan in Denton and probably even some students, the other piece that I don’t think gets talked about enough are the non-conference games our teams schedule. Look at softball attendance when we have played UT and OU vs MBB when we play Paul Quinn and Omaha. And The Stadium Formerly Known as Apogee has yet to host a truly marquee opponent. And with that said, we need to win against one of those teams every now and then.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Family Man said:

I like that Mr Lee came with ideas for solutions. 

Would Mosley and staff put together a community and alumni forum (not just athletes) to come up with solutions to bring all stakeholders to the table?? 

I would be willing to serve to see this thing grow!!!

I appreciate it and will join a community board as well to come with ideas and solutions. I’m also willing to serve. My background is sales. I can sale UNT sports. I’m willing to also do it outside of Mr Mosley’s staff just to get the ideas flowing. Easier for them to initiate stuff, if the hard part is done. It must start with our athletes first. We must support our brother and sisters in green. Every athlete wants to go to battle with a stadium full of fans. That’s the easiest thing we can do for them. 

• Upvote 7

30 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

For the casual sports fan in Denton and probably even some students, the other piece that I don’t think gets talked about enough are the non-conference games our teams schedule. Look at softball attendance when we have played UT and OU vs MBB when we play Paul Quinn and Omaha. And The Stadium Formerly Known as Apogee has yet to host a truly marquee opponent. And with that said, we need to win against one of those teams every now and then.

+1 for "The Stadium Formerly Known as Apogee." Really clever 😂

1 hour ago, untphd said:

The problem is the Dorms. We don't have them like at other schools. Unt did not want to put money into them. They have apartments all around denton, but it is not the same. After your freshman year, you are kicked out because there are not enough rooms. I have family going here, but they are told you cannot live in the dorms next year. It is just not the same. You don't build the same experiences because of lthis. 

Is this true? I didn't know you were forced to move out after freshman year. They've built several new dorms since I graduated, I would have thought they had a good handle on the on campus housing side of things. 

It won't happen without determined leadership commitment to promote it, with experienced staffing, resources and accountability. Fundamentally, the message needs to change from 'Oh and we have sports.'  to  a clear and persistent  'This is what we do here.'  If that turns some potential enrollees away, I'm pretty sure there are plenty others to take their place.

• Upvote 2

1. Significantly limit transfer students. Transfers are dopes that have or care to have zero connection to UNT. Why even let them on campus? 

2. Cap art/film/music applicants. No explanation needed. 

3. Increase attendance at the business school. No explanation needed. 

And to be frank, our athletic department does a lousy job in promoting their own product. Mass emailing people in your already existing pool of fans that clearly have a vested interest in the product moves the needle none. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 8
  • Puking Eagle 2