SMU potentially to the PAC-12

GoGreenBeans

20 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

I've seen nothing that SMU wants out of our series, didn't they recently sign an extension with UNT? Have our people reached out to TCU? The TCU campus is 39 miles and the SMU campus is 41 miles from UNT, so why are we not pursuing a series from the Frogs? 

Not really referring to the SMU administration. I'm referring to the people of SMU. They are pretty outspoken in their boards and social media that they, "don't see the upside of playing UNT". 

I'm all for getting a series with TCU in both football and basketball. Why not. I would prefer a basketball series with them, as I'm not sure a football series with them would be a good look for us. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

On 3/13/2023 at 7:12 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not really referring to the SMU administration. I'm referring to the people of SMU. They are pretty outspoken in their boards and social media that they, "don't see the upside of playing UNT". 

I'm all for getting a series with TCU in both football and basketball. Why not. I would prefer a basketball series with them, as I'm not sure a football series with them would be a good look for us. 

I don't rely on board talk for how the decision-makers view North Texas.  They're just like our board...99% of us hate SMU and let it be known on this board.  My question is "would SMU make the AAC stronger or weaker?

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

It's a real joy reading the "We didn't want to join the Big 12 anyway" posts on Ponyfans. Especially after they saw our home schedule.

The fact that they're willing to join the Pac 12 for free is even more pathetic.

The real question is how the hell y'all only have 4 true road games next year

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Rumblings of some news tomorrow, and hint that it won't be pretty. Let's see if it's actually something or just rumors. It could end up being nothing. 

Do we want SMU to stay in the AAC or go? If they stay, it's a positive because they are one of the most prestigious, if not the most in the conference, but if they go, UNT would be the only team in the area in the AAC.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Do we want SMU to stay in the AAC or go? If they stay, it's a positive because they are one of the most prestigious, if not the most in the conference, but if they go, UNT would be the only team in the area in the AAC.

If they stay it keeps the conference stable and they are a good program to have, but we can't blame them for looking out for themselves. We would be doing the same thing. What would be bad is if they also take someone like Tulane. I think that would be a bigger blow. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

My worst case scenario is that the PAC12 reconstitutes itself with more AAC teams but doesn't include UNT. Say adding air force, CSU, SDSU, Memphis, SMU, UTSA or somesuch thing.

I wouldn’t be too worried about that. That isn’t a P5 conference with that lineup and Oregon and Washington are definitely gone.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I wouldn’t be too worried about that. That isn’t a P5 conference with that lineup and Oregon and Washington are definitely gone.

The problem there isn't what it would do for SMU (not that much indeed), but what it would do to the conference UNT is in.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, outoftown said:

The problem there isn't what it would do for SMU (not that much indeed), but what it would do to the conference UNT is in.

The trust fund musty stangs are no big loss for the AAC if they go by themselves from our conference.   If UTSA had a longer/better/stronger academic history and just a slightly longer FBS history with a few conference titles the Pac 12 would probably take them over SMU.   SMU would be an after thought to pair them with UTSA or another school in our 3 biggest metro areas.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3