SMU potentially to the PAC-12

GoGreenBeans

Smut trying to buy it's way into the PAC...

"SMU’s interest level in joining the Pac-12 Conference is so high it’s ready to help cover some of the costs. According to people familiar with the discussions between the Pac-12 Conference and SMU, the private school in Dallas is more than prepared to make certain concessions in order to secure a spot in the league."

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article272515410.html

Meanwhile....

"New Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark continues to court several Pac-12 programs to join his conference. Yormark helped strike a deal last week that will see Texas and Oklahoma pay a combined $100 million to leave his league in 2024 and begin play in the SEC—a move that is expected to spur more Big 12 expansion.

The Big 12 wants to grow and is believed to be targeting schools in the Pac-12 South as well as Pac-12 targets such as San Diego State and Gonzaga."

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/13/pac-12-expansion-rumors-statement-united-big-12

I think the AAC should go after what’s left in the PAC-10 and bridge it with Air Force and Colorado State.  If that doesn’t work then after the ACC gets raided we get a few of those schools. We have to remain relevant in this new round of conference go round, so we don’t end up in C-usa/2.  We need to hold onto Memphis, Tulane, Navy, etc.  Winning in as many sports as possible to build that MEAN GREEN name recognition across as many sports as possible. I believe we are on the right road!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

I think the AAC should go after what’s left in the PAC-10 and bridge it with Air Force and Colorado State.  If that doesn’t work then after the ACC gets raided we get a few of those schools. We have to remain relevant in this new round of conference go round, so we don’t end up in C-usa/2.  We need to hold onto Memphis, Tulane, Navy, etc.  Winning in as many sports as possible to build that MEAN GREEN name recognition across as many sports as possible. I believe we are on the right road!!!

It will be very hard to convince any "P5" school to join a "G5" conference unless their only other option is to go Indy. 

I agree with sending invites to AFA and Colo St, and maybe UNM and Army, regardless of what happens to the PAC.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NT80 said:

It will be very hard to convince any "P5" school to join a "G5" conference unless their only other option is to go Indy. 

We are a Power Six conference, if these power 5 conferences consolidate then we better damn sure better make sure that we don’t get left behind, at least not any further than we are now.  It has been a long hard struggle if I don’t say so myself!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2

On 2/17/2023 at 10:08 PM, Cooke County Kid said:

We are a Power Six conference, if these power 5 conferences consolidate then we better damn sure better make sure that we don’t get left behind, at least not any further than we are now.  It has been a long hard struggle if I don’t say so myself!

The break is coming.  Likely to coincide with the ACC GoR expiration.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:57 PM, NT80 said:

I agree with sending invites to AFA and Colo St, and maybe UNM and Army, regardless of what happens to the PAC.

I like all those points.  It make a too much sense to have all the Servie Academies in the "American" conference.  I wouldn't even mind that automatic conference championship tie be issued to a Army or Navy if they are tied with a team they didn't play in the regular season.  For the playoff they would choose the higher ranked co-champion anyway.  What better intrigue than a co-championship on the line in Army vs Navy or one of them saving their season by playing spoiler?  Having all the service academies would be the best thing you could do to ensure conference survival as a G5 without the ability to attract big brand schools.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I like all those points.  It make a too much sense to have all the Servie Academies in the "American" conference.  I wouldn't even mind that automatic conference championship tie be issued to a Army or Navy if they are tied with a team they didn't play in the regular season.  For the playoff they would choose the higher ranked co-champion anyway.  What better intrigue than a co-championship on the line in Army vs Navy or one of them saving their season by playing spoiler?  Having all the service academies would be the best thing you could do to ensure conference survival as a G5 without the ability to attract big brand schools.

Having all the service academies would be huge marketing to Media.  

Plus, they would always bring fans from nearby bases.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, dodgefan said:

What are you guys hearing, as pertaining to an announcement? By the way, the 2023 AAC football schedule comes out this morning.

Announcement likely to coincide with the start of the PAC-12 basketball tourney (March 8).

In all likelihood both SMU and SDSU come in at around half of the TV revenue projected for the legacy PAC schools.  The estimates are all over the place from 26m on the low end to 35m on the high end.  I think you can realistically expect the PAC to get the equivalent of the Big 12's deal so lets say 31-32m with a 5 year GoR.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 6

On 2/20/2023 at 11:33 AM, untphd said:

I thought the power 5 related to football and the power 6 related to basketball. The 6 being the power 5 schools plus the big east.

The nomenclature emerged at the beginning of the BCS era, was supposed to be specific to CFB, separating conferences between those that had BCS bowl contracts vs. those that do not. Lazy reporters, however, have decided to use it how they choose for indies (they used it for ND, but did not for BYU, Army, etc...) as well as in the basketball realm, too.

We have now seen it adopted by all college sports programs, even in the post-BCS era.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1

5 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Announcement likely to coincide with the start of the PAC-12 basketball tourney (March 8).

In all likelihood both SMU and SDSU come in at around half of the TV revenue projected for the legacy PAC schools.  The estimates are all over the place from 26m on the low end to 35m on the high end.  I think you can realistically expect the PAC to get the equivalent of the Big 12's deal so lets say 31-32m with a 5 year GoR.  

So, will the 5 year GOR (Grant of Media Rights) apply to ALL existing PAC schools too?   

Good luck getting many any to sign off on that!

On 2/9/2023 at 4:58 PM, SMU2006 said:

Trying to predict what will happen in 5 to 7 years with college realignment is a fool's errand.

Regardless, you take the invite and never look back.  Certainly with what SMU is leaving behind in the AAC.

Edited by outoftown
  • Ray 1

On ESPN Radio last night, they discussed that PAC 12 might go almost all in with Apple TV. They commented that with Apple TV could get their money, but the problem is getting people (especially recruits) to watch their games. So yes, they may get cash on par with the Big 12, but that is risky if you're tying everything to streaming on one service.