SMU potentially to the PAC-12

GoGreenBeans

I'll put a positive spin on this if it plays out the way SMU says.  At a minimum, we will be conference mates for at least one season maybe more.  That will be fun and we will likely keep our series going anyway.  Putting the playoff qualifications aside, there is still a significant divide between P5 and G5 conferences (money, prestige, interest, etc.).  Everyone in G5 wants to move up.  It's only natural.  

Aside from cannibalizing each other for membership, recent history is that the P5 conferences have been looking at the AAC first.  The conference we will join in July.  They are not looking at the MAC, the Sun Belt or C-USA for new members.  I'll even include the MWC as I believe SDSU would be the first MWC member to move up since Utah moved up in 2011 and TCU a year later.  BYU went independent in 2011, so they don't count as moving up from the MWC.  So, if the AAC continues to be at the top of the pecking order of G5s, it's a good place for us to be even if/when SMU leaves.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

And you think they care about SMU? You will have more visitors fans at your games that SMU fans. Years spending money trying to convince Dallas that SMU was their team have resulted in crap.

That's exactly why the SWC big dogs left smu in the dust when they left to form the Big 12. Smu didn't bring anything to the table then, and they don't now.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

Why join the Pac12?  That conference is on the decline, and once Oregon and Washington leave I doubt anyone would still consider it a power conference.  The ACC would be a much better fit for SMU.

Looking forward I dont think there will be 5 power conferences, there will be 2 conferences that matter SEC and Big10.  Everyone else will be in some kind of D1 2nd tier.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

So explain to me exactly how smut benefits the PAC 12? And don't tell me it opens the door for recruiting purposes. Any PAC 12 school can, and do, recruit D/FW and Texas anytime they want to. They don't need smut for that. They are a backfill school for when the others bolt.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

If SMU goes the the PAC12, does the AAC get aggressive and try to poach 1–3 from the MWC?

Colorado State, Air Force, Boise State, etc.?

Those schools will want to go to the Big 12 or Pac-12 way before AAC.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DentonStang said:

This is the most insane take ever, at least point #1. 

For point #2, you should be happy. There would be no reason for AAC to take a second team in the same market. If they didn't know we were on the way out, you'd be in the remains of CUSA.    Everyone wins 

Insane maybe, but you have not attempted to answer the questions.

I have no idea why SMU thinks being in the PAC is a good thing overall for their program.  Even with an unlimited bank account, just the time and effort to travel the width of the country for your non-revenue teams seems idiotic.  It was when NT did it in the Big West and it will be for SMU. 

NT at least had a better reason for the Big West, it was a move up to D1.  

Now, you have explained that NT only got the invitation to the AAC because SMU is leaving.  I suppose the other 5 CUSA teams should also be grateful.    No, I don't think that NT got the invite because the AAC had to have a presence in the DFW area.  The AAC did pick schools based on potential and access to big markets, however I doubt you have anymore insight than the average fan on the selection process.  

• Upvote 6
  • Ray 1

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Insane maybe, but you have not attempted to answer the questions.

I have no idea why SMU thinks being in the PAC is a good thing overall for their program.  Even with an unlimited bank account, just the time and effort to travel the width of the country for your non-revenue teams seems idiotic.  It was when NT did it in the Big West and it will be for SMU. 

NT at least had a better reason for the Big West, it was a move up to D1.  

Now, you have explained that NT only got the invitation to the AAC because SMU is leaving.  I suppose the other 5 CUSA teams should also be grateful.    No, I don't think that NT got the invite because the AAC had to have a presence in the DFW area.  The AAC did pick schools based on potential and access to big markets, however I doubt you have anymore insight than the average fan on the selection process.  

Are you really trying to draw a parallel between the PAC 12 and the Big West?  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If only you knew how many times SMU gives 4 free tickets to every city of Dallas employee and still can't fill the stadium. Literally can't give away tickets for free.

I do agree that there's little downside. I just don't see how the extra money is worth it when money isn't a problem. Your goal is to win and make the playoffs. The path is easier in the AAC. Why make the path harder in exchange for money if you don't need the cash?

If you and the rest of this board can't see how association with the teams in the PAC rather than UNT and Charlotte is beneficial to the university and every portion of the athletic department and football team, from credibility in recruiting, attractiveness for coaches, media coverage and branding, donations, etc. then this is the most clueless board of all time. Good lord, PAC isn't the B10 and there are downsides, but this is insane, and most likely, disingenuous.

• Eye Roll 2

29 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Are you really trying to draw a parallel between the PAC 12 and the Big West?  

That should be obvious, don't you think.  

However, it should be also obvious, that I am referring to the problems with the travel, media coverage, and cost involved; not the competition level. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

There are a myriad of factors that go into conference realignment and football attendance might not be in the top twenty.  Academics, market, financial commitment, alumni giving rate, TV ratings, brand recognition, endowment, research dollars etc. 

The next time a conference realignment move is about academics will be the first time.

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

It's sad to me they don't want to try. They have the resources to be good, and it's always fun to see quirky weirdos doing well.

Rice could easily be P5 if they wanted to, same with the Ivy League. They have plenty of money to pour into athletics.