SMU potentially to the PAC-12

GoGreenBeans

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Enjoy those west coast start times, etc. We tried that years ago. It sucked.  Good riddance. 

I’ll take west coast start times against Oregon, Stanford, and Washington over any start time against Rice, Tulsa, and Charlotte. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Enjoy those west coast start times, etc. We tried that years ago. It sucked.  Good riddance. 

I Like It.

It may have taken us twenty-something years to change places, but we'll we'll be playing Rice, Tulane, Memphis, Tulsa, and SMU will be playing our old Big West opponents.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Nothing is done until there is a press conference on The Hilltop with a PAC logo.  Anything can happen.

But if the commish is here tomorrow then its as good as done.  No way you leak this to McMurphy (very reputable source) unless you are at the proverbial one yard line.

Damn, SMU2006 was right about McMurphy.

Changes coming for PAC 12

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I Like It.

It may have taken us twenty-something years to change places, but we'll we'll be playing Rice, Tulane, Memphis, Tulsa, and SMU will be playing our old Big West opponents.

UNT was playing Washington, Colorado, Utah, and Oregon in the Big West?  

• Upvote 3

Brings up two questions

1.  Why would SMU want to be in the PAC

To escape the AAC maybe, but how this benefits SMU is a mystery

Will cost more and will probably decrease attendance

Prestige I guess for those that still think the old P5 designation is a thing

2. Why do any NT fans care

I would like a local game, however I don't have much interest in playing SMU anymore

With the money their supporters are willing to pay players, SMU should dominate the old G5 tier of teams.  I can't think of any Texas or area team that can compete long term with that.  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

39 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

This could be a blessing in disguise. At some point in the not too distant future, the AAC will be replacing teams after the SEC and B1G poach Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, and Notre Dame's football (think about the B1G's USC invitation). SMU will probably be locked into the PAC. When the ACC makes their move into Texas, I can't see them wanting to pass on adding the DFW market. We just need to double our efforts to build our programs. 

This is exactly what I hope will happen. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, ADLER said:

I hope they accept it.

How Much Was A Ticket On The Titanic?

Welcome to the PAC

When the smoke clears after the Big 12 and Big 10 moves, SMU will find that they've joined Washington State, Oregon State, and what remains of the MWC.

That is the thing. This obviously sucks for NT, as SMU gets out of being in a conference with UNT yet again.  But it IS a risky move for SMU. Its really a big bet that the PAC12 in its current form will hold together. If it does, it is

- financially beneficial (obviously),

and likely (although not certainly)

- increases exposure (potential downside: chance of being forgotten on Amazon, west coast start times)

-increases chances at the playoffs (potential downside: is increased difficulty to win PAC12 really outweighing the chance that one gets in as AAC champion?).

If the PAC-12 doesn't hold together however, SMU will really be out in the wilderness this time.

There would be no Big12 invite, because the Big12 is set on defense and only needs to play offense for a while now (i.e. no backfilling only getting in schools that really move the needle, which does not include SMU for the Big12. Also this time its not like when the new big east-AAC first formed and they moved in a pack with similar schools. If the PAC-12 goes bad, SMU will have to come back hat in hand, because nobody else west of Dallas (i.e. the whole remaining AAC) is a logical fit for a bad Pac-12/MWC.

Edited by outoftown
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Brings up two questions

1.  Why would SMU want to be in the PAC

To escape the AAC maybe, but how this benefits SMU is a mystery

Will cost more and will probably decrease attendance

Prestige I guess for those that still think the old P5 designation is a thing

2. Why do any NT fans care

I would like a local game, however I don't have much interest in playing SMU anymore

With the money their supporters are willing to pay players, SMU should dominate the old G5 tier of teams.  I can't think of any Texas or area team that can compete long term with that.  

This is the most insane take ever, at least point #1. 

For point #2, you should be happy. There would be no reason for AAC to take a second team in the same market. If they didn't know we were on the way out, you'd be in the remains of CUSA.    Everyone wins 

23 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Several teams have also refused to sign a GOR, causing concern of more defections. You also know that you will have to give a 24 month notice to leave the AAC, and if you do join the Pac it will most likely be at a reduced rate just like everyone else not named OU/UT. 

Finally some of the important driving factors that make this a more lateral transfer for SMU.   The PAC 12 messed up by not pairing Houston with another school from this region.  Adding Houston, and a I-35 corridor school makes a lot more sense than adding SMU and any other G-5 school west of Louisiana.   I just happen to think North Texas has more potential to grow viewership in the DFW area that SMU.   If SMU was public with 25k plus current students and 300k local alumni the addition to the PAC 12  would have happened shortly after the addition of Colorado.  They may have be invited in place of Utah.   But now the Pac 12 is an extremely unstable  conference more so than the Big 12.  Their only hope is weaker additions to the Big 10 find the bigger checks with empty stadiums due to their inability to compete little comfort and cause another big re-alignment tilting towards slightly smaller conferences.  In this case I believe the small private SMU will be figuratively subsidizing the large public PAC 12 schools without much athletic success to show for it. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Oregon, Stanford, and Washington to Big 10 with USC and UCLA?

McMurphy has reported that the four Pac-12 schools being considered by the Big Ten are Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal. Should the Big Ten expand further, it would create another conference realignment ripple effect. 

• Upvote 4

Would I want UNT to be making this same move??   NO.

The only advantage I see, is in hoops....where the P5s get way more at large spots than they deserve. (In the "Dance"). 

As to football.....I think we have a better chance of having a magical G5 season (Tulane, Cincy, Houston, W Mich. did it) and getting in the tourney of 12....than we do of being one of the top few teams in a P5. 

We'll be fine without them.....Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

This is the most insane take ever, at least point #1. 

For point #2, you should be happy. There would be no reason for AAC to take a second team in the same market. If they didn't know we were on the way out, you'd be in the remains of CUSA.    Everyone wins 

So if Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal do go to the Big10 don't you believe that CU, Utah and the Arizona schools will strongly consider the Big 12? 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

McMurphy has reported that the four Pac-12 schools being considered by the Big Ten are Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal. Should the Big Ten expand further, it would create another conference realignment ripple effect. 

The Pac12 media deal wil be dead. That's when Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah, the "four corners schools" will jump to the Big12 according to McMurphy.

Essentially, the end result will be that Oregon State, Washington State, and SMU will have joined the Mountain West Conference. It may still call itself the Pac12 but all ten of it's premeir members will have already departed.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Would I want UNT to be making this same move??   NO.

The only advantage I see, is in hoops....where the P5s get way more at large spots than they deserve. (In the "Dance"). 

As to football.....I think we have a better chance of having a magical G5 season (Tulane, Cincy, Houston, W Mich. did it) and getting in the tourney of 12....than we do of being one of the top few teams in a P5. 

We'll be fine without them.....Go Mean Green!

lol.  If UNT was even on the radar for the PAC it would be the biggest thing to happen in the school's history.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

11 hours ago, mustangfan said:

I gotta say, you North Texas fans really need to clean the wax out of your ears or something.  As I have stated, many times on here to no avail, SMU will be moving to either the Big 12, Pac 12 or ACC in the very near future.  

You left out the BiG and SEC...hahaha.  Just kidding.  For you or any of the other Mustang fans that have their ears to the ground, do you have any insight on the timing?  Also, what's the AAC exit fee?