UAB (2/9/23)

CMJ

13 minutes ago, CMJ said:

That's not generally what you do though, because let's say they hit both free throws.  Then they foul immediately  You hit one of two...they have a chance to win the game with about 6 seconds to go.

And scoff all you want - i have seen that exact scenario play out.  You wait as long as possible to give the foul.  And if they're in a terrible situation (say 30 feet from the basket) you play if out.

I like my odds with Perry shooting free throws.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I like my odds with Perry shooting free throws.

I'm sure UAB did too with Jelly Walker at the line a minute earlier (he actually came into tonight with a better free throw percentage), but he missed one.  Take as few chances as possible when you can.  The free throw to put us up three went through with 22 seconds to go.  That is way, way too early to start fouling.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Great win to gut this one out. At first I thought our guys were leaving people open and not closing down, but after paying more attention their guards are just insanely fast. You can tell emotions were running high, Perry was really wanting to hit those 3s and was frustrated. I keep saying it, Scott is like Rodman, just 100% effort every minute. Huntsberry is really starting to come into his own and find his role. Sissoko continues to get minutes and gain confidence. You build and grow from these games, and Mac is the kind of coach to stress that. GMG!

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Unbelievable game!  Our guys never quit despite being so exhausted. Scott, Huntsberry and Perry refused to back down.  It’s quite something to watch your team take a breath and bare down like that.  Every shot contested, every rebound with a hand on it, every loose ball with someone diving for it.  That’s Mac and Hodge ball right there.

And I loved seeing Super Pit staff having to hold their ears from the noise at the end.  And I agree this was the best reffed game of the year.  Had we had this crew against FAU we win easily.  

BTW…I went up on campus before the game and saw the Talons cruise by in the Green Machine Model A towing an NT Battle Flag and screaming through a bull horn reminding those walking through campus to get to the Pit. Great move on their part.

Rick 

C70DBBEB-1548-41CF-A57E-868DAB6B181C.jpeg

Very cool!  I agree that place was loud.  What a great nite to be a fan

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

This is such a great thing for the team to do for the students. 

watch the video replay and you see Coach Mc sending his players there, thought that was awesome to see him appreciate the students showing up for the team

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Unbelievable game!  Our guys never quit despite being so exhausted. Scott, Huntsberry and Perry refused to back down.  It’s quite something to watch your team take a breath and bare down like that.  Every shot contested, every rebound with a hand on it, every loose ball with someone diving for it.  That’s Mac and Hodge ball right there.

And I loved seeing Super Pit staff having to hold their ears from the noise at the end.  And I agree this was the best reffed game of the year.  Had we had this crew against FAU we win easily.  

BTW…I went up on campus before the game and saw the Talons cruise by in the Green Machine Model A towing an NT Battle Flag and screaming through a bull horn reminding those walking through campus to get to the Pit. Great move on their part.

Rick 

C70DBBEB-1548-41CF-A57E-868DAB6B181C.jpeg

1980-era Talons used to do that with the Spirit Bell (Not sure if it made it to the new Union, but it used to be displayed there). Rang the bell and went through campus calling out the Green.

GMG

• Upvote 4