Is TP a candidate for our HOF?

emmitt01

On 2/4/2023 at 9:13 PM, CMJ said:

For sure.  I mean Josh did some things that Tylor didn't, but we've never had someone since I've followed NT (and that basically goes back to my childhood) that is more clutch than Perry. 

I know it's not as many, but I do remember a good deal from Hamlet as well. More likely a floater in the lane.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

I know it's not as many, but I do remember a good deal from Hamlet as well. More likely a floater in the lane.

Hamlet will always have some of the biggest shots in NT history and for that he'll always be a legend.  Probably THE legend of the last 50 years.

Josh White was the face of the squad that gave us the longest run of success we'd ever had (it started slightly before him and went a year or so past his graduation, but still when you think of JJ squads, you think of White) prior to the McCasland era.  

I wouldn't rank Perry above either of them, but he has the clutch gene more than anyone I've ever watched at NT (going back to the mid to late 1980s).

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, aztecskin said:

I think our HOF can be very forgiving and also *my* personal criteria is like "best player of the era" 

White, Hamlet, Perry clear that bar very easily. I see no reason to say "if you were the best player at NT during your time? You are in our HOF" 

It also helps when you're in a winning era.  Obviously when you play on a championship team(s), you'll get the benefit of the doubt.   When you play in a losing era, you need big numbers.  A Chris Davis gets in no matter the era.  A George Odufuwa does not (and I think he might some day) unless he's on a big time winner.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aztecskin said:

I think our HOF can be very forgiving and also *my* personal criteria is like "best player of the era" 

White, Hamlet, Perry clear that bar very easily. I see no reason to say "if you were the best player at NT during your time? You are in our HOF" 

Do you include Rosevelt Smart?  The dude was a 3 pt machine until Grant made him play defense!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Do you include Rosevelt Smart?  The dude was a 3 pt machine until Grant made him play defense!

As I stated above, No.  

This is what is wrong with our HOF's.  Criteria is just too easy, if there even is a criteria.  Smart had one great year....one. He set the single season scoring record his first year here, 2017-18, and had a great CBI.  2018-'19, his average dropped to 10.7 pts/game and 2019-'20, he averaged 3.2 points per game.  Sorry, I loved Smart, but those aren't HOF worthy.

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2023 at 1:29 PM, GrandGreen said:

He will easily be selected to NT's HOF.

One thing that should be recognized is that McClasland's players are not going to have enormous offensive stats with his style of play. 

Several other players on the current team will also likely be enshrined as well.  

We play this style because we're not a good offensive team. We only have one consistent threat. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

We play this style because we're not a good offensive team. We only have one consistent threat. 

McCasland coaches a defense first team strategy that is a much bigger factor in the low scoring average than lack of offensive players. 

Ousmane is inconsistent but that has a lot to do with the various defenses played by opponent.  However, he also has games were he just seems to be off his shot.  Takes those hook shoots from too far away from the basket.

Every player has better and worst games, but overall IMO Huntsberry, Perry, and Scott are consistent offensive players.  Eady is consistent, but takes few shoots.  Jones is recovering and getting better every game.  He is becoming a major offensive threat.  

On 2/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, GrandGreen said:

McCasland coaches a defense first team strategy that is a much bigger factor in the low scoring average than lack of offensive players. 

Ousmane is inconsistent but that has a lot to do with the various defenses played by opponent.  However, he also has games were he just seems to be off his shot.  Takes those hook shoots from too far away from the basket.

Every player has better and worst games, but overall IMO Huntsberry, Perry, and Scott are consistent offensive players.  Eady is consistent, but takes few shoots.  Jones is recovering and getting better every game.  He is becoming a major offensive threat.  

Abou’s problem is that he can’t dribble the ball!  The way he tries to back defenders down and take the hook is just not efficient when he misses 50% and when he turns it over on the dribble another 3-4 times a game.  Add in an offensive foul or two and you just can’t afford to lose that many possessions in a limited possession offense.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:29 PM, GrandGreen said:

He will easily be selected to NT's HOF.

One thing that should be recognized is that McClasland's players are not going to have enormous offensive stats with his style of play. 

Several other players on the current team will also likely be enshrined as well.  

Who?